PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Walmart Probes 'All Black People' Announcement

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Now if this happened in Massachusetts I think I could help narrow down the suspects:D

Two black South Jersey women are boycotting Wal-Mart as authorities investigate a public announcement targeting black shoppers at the Turnersville store over the weekend.

Wal-Mart officials said they're reviewing security tapes to find out who asked "all black people" to leave the store in a message over the public-address system shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday.

Washington Township police, with the assistance of the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office, are investigating the episode as a possible bias crime, said Bernie Weisenfeld, spokesman for the prosecutor's office.

Ashley Hardie, a corporate spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, described the incident at the Route 42 store as "unacceptable to us and to our customers. We are currently reviewing our systems to prevent this from happening in the future," she said.
Barbara Pordy, chairwoman of the Gloucester County Human Relations Commission, has spoken with a store manager and is offering counseling to anyone who was troubled by the announcement.

The announcement was "unacceptable and appalling," Pordy said.
Her comments were echoed by the two shoppers who are taking their business elsewhere.Patricia Covington and Shelia Ellington, both of Monroe, said they're too upset to shop at the discount chain after hearing a male voice calmly announce: "Attention Wal-Mart customers: All black people leave the store

Whole story here (http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100317/NEWS01/3170341/1006/rss01)

Gingersnap
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a typical disgruntled/fired employee stunt to me.

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a typical disgruntled/fired employee stunt to me.

Or some bored customer waiting in line by an empty cash register.

enslaved1
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
or a phone phreak who knows (or googled) how to access a Walmart PA system from outside the store....

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Now if this happened in Massachusetts I think I could help narrow down the suspects:D

Whole story here (http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100317/NEWS01/3170341/1006/rss01)

very true! ;)

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
What I don't understand is why is this being investigated as a crime? Exactly what crime was committed here? Last I looked, unless it's a threat, saying something stupid isn't a crime. Now, as for the incident, my guess is some smacked ass customer made the announcement because I'd hate to think that an employee would be this stupid. As for the store, I've actually been in this store. This is in my neck of the woods.

Rockntractor
03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I read it. I'm troubled now and need free counseling

lacarnut
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
What I don't understand is why is this being investigated as a crime? Exactly what crime was committed here? Last I looked, unless it's a threat, saying something stupid isn't a crime. Now, as for the incident, my guess is some smacked ass customer made the announcement because I'd hate to think that an employee would be this stupid. As for the store, I've actually been in this store. This is in my neck of the woods.

Don't you know this is a hate crime. The FBI needs to investigage. :mad::mad::mad:

Rockntractor
03-17-2010, 11:51 PM
These people are so traumatized they will likely never recover.We should probably pay them reparations!

PoliCon
03-18-2010, 05:13 AM

It was you wasn't it! :p So New Jersey has thought crimes laws eh?:rolleyes:

AmPat
03-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I too am disturbed. I will need years of free (meaning highly expensive for someone else) counseling by highly trained professionals (government minions with publicly funded education and worthless degrees) who can restore me to my pre-breakdown emotional state.