PDA

View Full Version : Census Form Poll

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I got my census form in the mail today and I decided that I would empower the members of CU by letting you decide what I should do with it.

patriot45
03-17-2010, 09:59 AM
I just got mine and am only answering question 1.

I really like #4! What is you telephone number!

stsinner
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
I just filled my out and returned it.. I didn't really see anything too intrusive on it.. We're in the phone book, so our number is no secret.. It didn't ask income, or anything-that I wouldn't answer, so I just filled it out and returned it..

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Just be aware - http://geography.about.com/library/misc/blusc13.htm

Census Law and Fines
The following section of the United States Code requires that people fill out their U.S. Census forms and provides a $100 penalty for not answering the Census and up to $500 for giving false information.

I do like one suggestion that was offered to me - and I will do it - when it asks race, answer OTHER and write in AMERICAN.

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 10:09 AM

I do like one suggestion that was offered to me - and I will do it - when it asks race, answer OTHER and write in AMERICAN.

That won't break the bank.;)

Gingersnap
03-17-2010, 10:11 AM
We just got ours Monday. We got the short form so I'll probably fill it out and send it back. I'm not giving those clowns my phone number, though. I'll give them the number for Information. Also, I'm filling out our racial information in an extremely detailed way. "White" just doesn't cover it for us. :p

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Census Law and Fines
The following section of the United States Code requires that people fill out their U.S. Census forms and provides a $100 penalty for not answering the Census and up to $500 for giving false information.
And Article 1 Section 2 (http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec2.html) of the Constitution says that I am to be enumerated, hence, counted. They do not need my phone number. They do not need to know my race. They do not need my blood type or any other stupid question. The're going to get my name, and my wife's name. That is it along with a copy of said article and section.

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
And Article 1 Section 2 (http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec2.html) of the Constitution says that I am to be enumerated, hence, counted. They do not need my phone number. They do not need to know my race. They do not need my blood type or any other stupid question. The're going to get my name, and my wife's name. That is it along with a copy of said article and section.

Do as you like - I'm just pointing out the law to you.

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
We just got ours Monday. We got the short form so I'll probably fill it out and send it back. I'm not giving those clowns my phone number, though. I'll give them the number for Information. Also, I'm filling out our racial information in an extremely detailed way. "White" just doesn't cover it for us. :p

I was thinking that if I follow the evolutionary path backward and I accept the out of Africa theory I should be able to classify myself as African American. I guess I could really trace my roots all the way back but I don't think that the form has a 'pond-scum' option.

noonwitch
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I got it Monday and mailed it back yesterday. It's the same questions as the last time.

NJCardFan
03-17-2010, 10:40 AM

The law does not supersede the Constitution.

Apache
03-17-2010, 10:43 AM

The census is only to count the people of the country. Not your phone #. Not your income. Not your age...

You're a history teacher, you should know that.....:p

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
The law does not supersede the Constitution.

The constitution does not prohibit them from asking additional questions. Hate to break it to you.

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
The census is only to count the people of the country. Not your phone #. Not your income. Not your age...

You're a history teacher, you should know that.....:p

That was the original intent - but - since the law does not prohibit more - more is the trend of government.

linda22003
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM

That's a nationality, not a race.

Rockntractor
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
That's a nationality, not a race.

Then filling in African American would not be accurate either.

linda22003
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Then filling in African American would not be accurate either.

That's true. I don't remember how they phrased that choice, since it didn't apply. We just got the "short form", not the one that wanted a lot of information.

Rebel Yell
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I have to fill mine out today. For race, I may choose Other and fill in Oppressor. See if they can figure it out. Reckon what would happen if someone fills in Aryan for race?

Apache
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
That was the original intent - but - since the law does not prohibit more - more is the trend of government.

The government will get what, by law, is required.... no more ;)

Kay
03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I got mine, the short form and filled it in and sent it back. Nothing on there that they don't already have on me.

My son asked me what this was all about, noting that it said he was required by law to fill it out and return it. I told him yes, it is the law. He said why haven't I ever had to do this before now? I said because they only do it every 10 years, last time you were still living at home with me. He said how long has this been going on? I said....well Mary & Joseph were on their way to report for the census when Jesus was born, so quite a long time now. :p

marinejcksn
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I answered the first question and for every other answer I wrote in "none of your business".

Also for Race, I wrote Human and for Ethnicity I wrote American. :D

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I answered the first question and for every other answer I wrote in "none of your business".

Also for Race, I wrote Human and for Ethnicity I wrote American. :D

For race I was thinking about writing in Daytona 500.

Articulate_Ape
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM

I am going to answer OTHER and write in Indy 500

linda22003
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
I got mine, the short form and filled it in and sent it back. Nothing on there that they don't already have on me.

My son asked me what this was all about, noting that it said he was required by law to fill it out and return it. I told him yes, it is the law. He said why haven't I ever had to do this before now? I said because they only do it every 10 years, last time you were still living at home with me. He said how long has this been going on? I said....well Mary & Joseph were on their way to report for the census when Jesus was born, so quite a long time now. :p

LOL! :p

Rockntractor
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
That's true. I don't remember how they phrased that choice, since it didn't apply. We just got the "short form", not the one that wanted a lot of information.

You can answer three ways for this race. Negro, African American or black

FlaGator
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
You can answer three ways for this race. Negro, African American or black

Negro is no longer an accepted word. Remember the fuss over Harry Reid and his negro dialect comment? It's just African American or Black.

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Just be sure if you answered any of the questions in any way irregularly - they will be by knocking at your door . . . .

Rockntractor
03-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Negro is no longer an accepted word. Remember the fuss over Harry Reid and his negro dialect comment? It's just African American or Black.

The government still put it on the census. Glenn beck was laughing about it.

noonwitch
03-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Negro is only acceptable in an anthropological sense, although I think the term is negroid, in that usage.

I think the choice on the form was "Black or African American", or the same words in the opposite order.

Freeman_Shadwell
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
"Negro" was definitely on there. Wife and I got a chuckle out of that. We even pondered checking it as our race with the comment of slave to the Federal Government. :eek:

I filled mine out fully and truthfully. Nothing they don't already know about me anyway. I'm a Concealed Pistol License holder, so they have much more than what's on the census form about me on record already. Including my fingerprints and Mother's maiden name.

djones520
03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
My wife got ours and filled it out while I slept. I never even got a chance to see it.