PDA

View Full Version : GE and Ronald Reagan: The Mutual Gift That Keeps On Giving

PoliCon
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
As part of a one-year celebration to honor the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth, General Electric will run ads honoring the 40th president's legacy -- and will donate $10 million to The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Library, along with an additional $5 million in scholarships.

This is fitting. In a very real way, General Electric was the vehicle that Reagan rode in his journey from film star to politician. It was a symbiotic relationship, too: Although GE paid Reagan $150,000 in the mid-1950s -- when his movie career had stalled and such a salary was worth more than $1 million in today's dollars -- GE had a reputation for working its people hard. Reagan was no exception. For eight years, he was the host and sometimes star of "General Electric Theater," a Sunday night program that aired on CBS, and a prolific "corporate ambassador" who traveled the country speaking at GE factories. There were a lot of them: Under legendary CEO Ralph J. Cortiner, a pioneer in decentralization, GE had 139 plants in 38 states, according to Lou Cannon in "Governor Reagan: His Rise to Power" -- and Reagan spoke at most of them, delivering as many as 14 speeches a day.
"GE just has had this great affinity and association with President Reagan, really for 50 or 60 years, and so this is just a small way that we could play a part in this great celebration," GE Chairman and CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt told me during an exclusive interview Tuesday. "President Reagan said that the second most important eight-year job he ever had were the eight years between 1954 and 1962, when he was GE's spokesman."
During those factory visits, Reagan met with, and took questions from, blue-collar workers and mid-managers alike.

"GE was invaluable to Reagan. It gave him an opportunity to practice speeches and answer questions to sympathetic, but demanding, audiences," Cannon told Politics Daily Tuesday night. "He learned how to polish his speeches and incorporate the events of the day into every talk he gave."
The experience served as a kind of massive focus group for a man whose political opinions -- and ambitions -- were changing. "When I went on those tours and shook hands with all of those people, I began to see that they were very different than the people Hollywood was talking about," Reagan later explained to GE public relations executive Edward Langley. "I was seeing the same people that I grew up with in Dixon, Illinois. I realized I was living in a tinsel factory. And this exposure brought me back."
If Sarah Palin had used understated language like this, instead of talking about "the real America," she might not have engendered so much hostility. In any event, what eventually emerged during Reagan's long stretch on what he called "the meat and potatoes circuit" was a well-crafted and a well-received stump speech that formed the basis of a fateful, nationally televised address in support of Barry Goldwater's 1964 candidacy for president. Goldwater lost that election in a landslide, but "The Speech," as it came to be known, propelled Reagan into the California governor's mansion, and ultimately into the White House.
In addition to donations to the Reagan Foundation and Library, GE also plans to run TV, radio and print ads to honor the man and celebrate the centennial. The TV ads will feature photos from Reagan's GE days as well as his presidential years, accompanied by the words "Because long before he changed the world, or led a nation, or governed a state, he inspired our company."

CONTINUED (http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03/17/ge-and-ronald-reagan-the-mutual-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/)

linda22003
03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
There was a full page ad in the Post this morning.

lacarnut
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
That's a nice gesture by GE but does not excuse that company from selling Iran rocket and satellite technology. The former CEO Immelt should be strung up. But no, he is on Obummer's economic team.