PDA

View Full Version : The Creation of a Perfect Politically Correct Society Continues in Britan

FlaGator
03-18-2010, 03:58 PM
From the "and you thought things were bad here" file:

Police banned from asking for someone's 'Christian' name because it might offend those of other faiths

Police officers have been banned from asking for 'Christian' names for fear of offending other religions.

Officers taking down a suspect's particulars must now refer to their 'personal' or 'family name' as the word 'Christian' could offend Muslims, Sikhs and other faiths, according to new diversity guidelines.

They state bobbies on the beat should refrain from using phrases such as 'my dear' or 'love', when addressing women for fear it may cause embarrassment or offence.
Well-meaning gestures like handshakes or putting a comforting arm around a victim or grieving family member are also prohibited as it could be deemed 'unprofessional'.

The handbook produced by Kent Police, which aims to 'promote clearer communication' and 'break down barriers' with diverse communities, advises officers to avoid language like 'Christian' name or surname.

They are also warned not to use terms like afternoon or evening as it could confuse people of 'different cultural backgrounds' about the time of day.

The 62-page 'Faith and Culture Resource' booklet produced by the force's diversity support group sets out customs and practices in a number of religions and beliefs including paganism and rastafarianism.

In it, officers are told to offer to remove their shoes on entering people's homes as some religions frown upon shoes being worn inside the home.

(http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/18/article-1258872-08C697B7000005DC-800_233x251_popup.jpg)
Other handy tips for police include wiping their feet to get rid of mud when entering a gypsy's trailer and not to put a cup of proffered tea on the floor as this could offend their standards of cleanliness.

The booklet also contains a section on appropriate terms to describe ethnic origin, suggesting 'mixed parentage' or 'mixed cultural heritage' should be used instead of mixed race'.

Staff are warned that when speaking to someone from Africa or Asia, they should refer to their specific country rather than the continent as a whole.

The rulebook has been described by Kent Police Federation secretary Peter Harman as a 'useful and educational reference guide to dealing with different communities'.

But it has angered some rank and file officers who say it is politically correct nonsense.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258872/Police-banned-asking-someones-Christian-offend-faiths.html##ixzz0iZ1aRiJi

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Attempting to be respective of cultures other than your own?

I just got so mad I shit myself.

Speedy
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
I remember one Robocop movie, it was either 2 or 3 where Robocop is given an upgrade and as part of the upgrade the engineers decide that the four prime directives are not enough. They decide that he should process enviromental and cultural issues before taking any action. The result was that the PC Robocop was being driven completely insane by having to do this. Looks like Britain is on the same path to insanity.

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
If only we were all robots. *sigh*...

Speedy
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM

No you DUmabass. The point is being respective of other cultures to the detriment of your own. But you would not know anything about that would you? You surrendered a long time ago.

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Help my culture was just murdered by your culture. Police!!!

Speedy
03-18-2010, 04:16 PM

And your asshatness continues to shine through.

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Help me someone. Someone has different customs than I do, it's making it all seem so....so...relative.

*pre-post-modern existential crisis*

PoliCon
03-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Help me someone. Someone has different customs than I do, it's making it all seem so....so...relative.

*pre-post-modern existential crisis* They are more than welcome to have their different culture - and different beliefs. What they are not welcome to do is to force me to change my culture and my beliefs out of fear that they might be offended. Offense is the gift you give yourself.

Zathras
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Looking at some of your posts, I think you're already there.

FlaGator
03-18-2010, 04:40 PM

You should probably do some reading on the root causes of the Iranian uprising in the late 70s. The base issue was not a sudden upswing in the religious identification of the Iranians. It was the threat of the replacement of their native culture by the westernization that the Shah was attempting. Their Islamic faith was the fall back position in order to retain their cultural identity and purge western influence from their society. It was a case of "help my culture is being murdered by another culture."

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
They are more than welcome to have their different culture - and different beliefs. What they are not welcome to do is to force me to change my culture and my beliefs out of fear that they might be offended. Offense is the gift you give yourself.

Yeah except no one is being forced to change beliefs or cultures.

wilbur
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
They are more than welcome to have their different culture - and different beliefs. What they are not welcome to do is to force me to change my culture and my beliefs out of fear that they might be offended. Offense is the gift you give yourself.

You seem offended.

Wei Wu Wei
03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
lol

PoliCon
03-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah except no one is being forced to change beliefs or cultures.

No? It's been a part of English culture for hundreds of years to refer to someones last name as their Christian name and now all of a sudden - that's just gotta be changed because it might offend someone who is from outside the culture.

PoliCon
03-19-2010, 05:02 AM
You seem offended.

as usual - you haven't a clue. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Christian name is not really a term used much on this side of the pond.

Apache
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM

*pre-post-modern existential crisis*

idiot

Wei Wu Wei
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
No? It's been a part of English culture for hundreds of years to refer to someones last name as their Christian name and now all of a sudden - that's just gotta be changed because it might offend someone who is from outside the culture.

That's not a belief. It's just being polite to other people. If someone is so insecure that being polite about other people's customis going to fundamentally change their own core belief system, well.... I'm sorry but it's their own problem.

It's not even for everyone or even for private life, it's only affecting how an arm of the government of the people should behave on the job.

FlaGator
03-19-2010, 11:02 AM
That's not a belief. It's just being polite to other people. If someone is so insecure that being polite about other people's customis going to fundamentally change their own core belief system, well.... I'm sorry but it's their own problem.

It's not even for everyone or even for private life, it's only affecting how an arm of the government of the people should behave on the job.

The problem is that this is a single example in a long list of examples of the forced cultural changes that are going on in Great Britan over the last few years.

enslaved1
03-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Um, how about those other cultures be respective enough of mine that I don't have to perpetually worry about offending them? Respect is SUPPOSED to go both ways, not just one side cowtowing to the other.

Sonnabend
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM

...you'd have an OFF switch.

As for this PC bullshit..

Um, how about those other cultures be respective enough of mine that I don't have to perpetually worry about offending them

http://seekerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/_blogger_5932_1957_1600_religion_of_peace_1-1.jpg

Speedy
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
As for this PC bullshit..

That reminds me, anyone got a spare Quran? It seems I am oout of toilet paper.

PoliCon
03-19-2010, 06:55 PM

It's a cultural thing. You know - kinda like how we have to walk on egg shells so as to not offend them in THEIR culture - while they've chosen to move away from their home culture for some strange reason.