PDA

View Full Version : Whiny Wednesday

Gingersnap
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Temps are dropping here and it looks like we are in for rain. The hot season veggies may need a blanket tonight if the forecast pans out. I'm planning a big Fourth of July thing but if any more idiocy happens, I may just eat at McDonald's instead and leave the whiny people to themselves.

TOTD: Where do you get your news? What news outlets do you consider reliable? Unreliable? Does TV broadcast news matter anymore?

DarkScribe
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Temps are dropping here and it looks like we are in for rain. The hot season veggies may need a blanket tonight if the forecast pans out. I'm planning a big Fourth of July thing but if any more idiocy happens, I may just eat at McDonald's instead and leave the whiny people to themselves.

TOTD: Where do you get your news? What news outlets do you consider reliable? Unreliable? Does TV broadcast news matter anymore?

I asked GS to delete my too-early Thursday threads, folks...I'll redo it tomorrow...

TOTD: Fox News as far as TV goes...the other news channels just for a good laugh....I rarely read newspapers or much in the way of news-stuff online...except for what may be posted here...oh, I do get teased a lot for being a local news junkie...I prefer Channel 6 here in Central Fla...

biccat
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Rain last night, fog today. I suppose it's a fairly good day, weather-wise.

TOTD: Watch Fox in the mornings, read the local newspaper in the evenings for local happenings, and I'll usually get on Drudge during the day. Google News is fairly good, it is a nice way to search for related topics in the news.

I never watch CNN or visit its website. Completely biased news and untrustworthy. Although occasionally I will turn on Headline News to watch Glen Beck.

linda22003
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
TOTD: No network news; I can't remember the last time I watched that. I listen to the radio when I'm getting ready in the mornings; I see the Washington Post at home before I leave the house.

At work, as part of my job, I review the following publications every day:
Washington Post
Washington Times
New York Times
The Times (London)
Financial Times
Wall Street Journal
... and do daily Nexis searches on specific topics of interest to my corporation.

The only newsmagazine I subscribe to any more is The Economist; news magazines in the United States have devolved into cartoon fluff. I also get BusinessWeek and Fortune.

So, I see and hear a lot every day, from various sources.

Shannon
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm going to some sort of school picnic today. Joy.:rolleyes:

TOTD: Fox news in the morning and then Rush at noon. Sometimes I listen to Hannity too . I don't remember the last time I read the paper.:eek:

jendf
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I went to bed too late and woke up feeling very cranky. I spilled my morning cup of coffee on the floor of my car. I feel old, fat, and hopeless.

TOTD: I don't have cable. Whenever possible, I avoid local network coverage because the perky personalities grate on my last nerve without fail.

Online news is where it's at!

Space Gravy
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Mostly online. I do try to catch a late local newscast to keep up with what's happening in town.

Shannon
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I went to bed too late and woke up feeling very cranky. I spilled my morning cup of coffee on the floor of my car. I feel old, fat, and hopeless.

Thanks Jen! I feel better.:p

Gingersnap
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Well, she's not really fat but you really are old. :p

*runs*

asdf2231
06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
TOTD

I get the "Raw" news from radio, FNC for television and Drudge. If it is more than a curiosity story I will do an in depth search and pull two or three articles and average the info to try to distill it to pure story.

I watch Brit Hume on FNC for hard news coverage and ignore the "Analysis" programs for the most part. Although I dearly love Bill O'Reilly. I just don't take what he says at more than the face value I do from anyone else because what he says is colored by his analysis and opinions.

MSNBC and the networks are worthless. Whatever objectivity they had in the tone of their coverage fled ages ago.

LogansPapa
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Same - same here: Overcast till 10AM, then plenty of sun and a nice breeze / 72 degrees.

TOTD: News - from any source - requires an independent thought process to filter. If your mental filter is clogged and youíre just too lazy to change the cartridge - then your head gets full of stuff thatís on the floor - like cat hair.

I never watch FOX or visit its website. Completely biased news and untrustworthy. Although occasionally I will turn on MSNBC to watch Keith Olbermann.

:cool:

biccat
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I never watch FOX or visit its website. Completely biased news and untrustworthy. Although occasionally I will turn on MSNBC to watch Keith Olbermann.
You believe that Olbermann is unbiased and trustworthy? I think we're finally getting to the root of your problem.

LogansPapa
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
You believe that Olbermann is unbiased and trustworthy?

You're quite the 'Projector Boy', huh? Where, exactly, did I say that.:rolleyes:

jendf
06-04-2008, 11:14 AM

:mad:

jendf
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
As though my day hasn't gotten off to a great start already, my co-worker shouts over the partition to me this morning, "Did you read the text of Obama's speech?"

"No," I mumble.

"Oh, it's beautiful. Unreal."

I don't say anything in return. I just want to hop over there and smack her.

Don't people know it's rude to discuss politics at work?

biccat
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
You're quite the 'Projector Boy', huh? Where, exactly, did I say that.:rolleyes:
It's implied. You said that you don't watch Fox because it is biased and untrustworthy. By implication we can assume that you do not patronize biased and untrustworthy sources. Therefore, by stating that you watch Olbermann, you are asserting that you find Olbermann unbiased and trustworthy.

You should really think before you post.

Obviously you were trying, however poorly, to criticize my own post by imitation. The problem is that obviously you do not understand the use of the word "although." In my case, I used the term "although" to represent an exception to my refusal to watch CNN. In case you don't know, Headline News is owned by CNN. Therefore, by saying "I never watch CNN, although I sometimes tune in to Headline News," I am asserting that while I do not patronize CNN itself, I will make the occasional exception when it comes to their subsidiary.

In your case, your use of the word "although" is, at best, nonsensical. Olbermann is not a Fox News employee, therefore watching him could not be an exception to your normal distance from Fox News. More likely it is the case as I described above.

Don't you have an Obama rally to go to or something?

LogansPapa
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
It's implied.

Don't you have an Obama rally to go to or something?

The "implied" thing sounds just like one of the reasons we occupied Iraq: Saddam was thinking about making nuclear weapons. Keith Olbermann is amusing - same reason you watch Glen Beck. About as deep as a kittenís milk saucer. Get over yourself already.

Oh, and just to re-reiterate:

Because we canít copy and paste the archives from the previous site, I will - again - publicly state, for this knobís education: I have no choice but to vote for Mr. John McCain, as a matter of loyalty to my father - who served with the man. Thatís it - end of story.

(I can do this just as long as you wish to insult the memory of an MCPO of the USN) :cool:

linda22003
06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
"Oh, it's beautiful. Unreal."

I don't say anything in return. I just want to hop over there and smack her.

You need to have your snappy comebacks ready. I would have responded, "I don't doubt it. Most of what he says is unreal." :cool:

biccat
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
(I can do this just as long as you wish to insult the memory of an MCPO of the USN) :cool:
Who said I'm insulting anyone besides you? It's too bad we don't have access to the old forum, or I'd show evidence of your disrespect for the US military.

If your father served with Senator McCain, or in the armed forces at all, he has my respect. But considering how much you dislike the military, and the fact that you're a left wing nutjob, I find it hard to believe you will vote for McCain.

I've said it before, you may claim to be voting for McCain now, but once you're in the booth, you will cast your vote for Obama.

Gingersnap
06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
No politics in the Lounge, guys. You know the rulz. ;)

Shannon
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
That was the worst school picnic ever. The brat was happy that I was there though. So that's all that really matters.;)

DarkScribe
06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
That was the worst school picnic ever. The brat was happy that I was there though. So that's all that really matters.;)

Yeah...all those screaming brats...and how can ya have grilled hotdogs and burgers without an ice-cold beer...sheesh...:p

biccat
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
At least someone is happy when Shannon is around :D

DarkScribe
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
At least someone is happy when Shannon is around :D

Well, of course...she is constantly a Ray of Sunshine...except early in the morning! The cool thing about Tristan's 5th grade teacher is that she is a BIG Re-thug-lican...one of a few, in the public school system, I'm afraid. Next year, when the Brat starts middle school should be interesting...no one single teacher but several...

LibraryLady
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Hot here. Spent all day yesterday at my daughter's college orientation. My Mom retired from the school, I got a degree there, two of my sons and two of my DILs went there, I worked there and one of my sons STILL works there (he is a graphic designer who does their art work). Every station we went to we were greeted and hugged. She is going to have a fun time. She got in the Honour's Dorm and got a full tuition scholarship but room and board are astronomical. Oh well.....

TOTD:Like the rest of my family, I am a news junkie. I watch Fox News and Headline News, keep the 'puter on Google news or MSNBC for alerts, read several online papers and news magazines, don't listen to radio - we have no stations available!We don't get MSNBC TV here so I never have seen Keef Overblown.

bijou
06-04-2008, 04:41 PM
What bad news about the weather Ginger. I have just had a lovely dessert of home made yoghurt and blueberries and raspberries freshly picked from the garden. It is so cool when the gardening pays off.

Gingersnap
06-04-2008, 05:58 PM
What bad news about the weather Ginger. I have just had a lovely dessert of home made yoghurt and blueberries and raspberries freshly picked from the garden. It is so cool when the gardening pays off.

I'm sure they will all survive but it's a pain to drag out the row covers and tarps this time of year. :(

bijou
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm sure they will all survive but it's a pain to drag out the row covers and tarps this time of year. :(

I know, by the time we get to June, we deserve some good weather.