PDA

View Full Version : I used to be in the Middle Class, but My View of my Stature has Changed

SarasotaRepub
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
:rolleyes: Oh Brother... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7960091)

Mike 03 http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Fri Mar-19-10 09:17 PM
Original message Poll question: I used to be in the Middle Class, but My View of my Stature has Changed

JHC...any chance to be Mr. Doom & Gloom. :D

Gingersnap
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
In the United States, class is more a function of attitude and social interests than it is a function of economics. Plenty of people who would be considered working class in terms of economics and education are very sure they are middle class. Plenty of plainly wealthy people also see themselves as middle class.

Regardless of what class you consider yourself to be, I've never heard of anybody who changed their class conception downward because of circumstances. I could be flat broke but I would never see myself as poor/indigent in terms of class.

Having come out of a rural working class environment, I'm always amused at how quick college-educated urbanites are to latch on to their stereotypical notions of the working class. It's like watching she-males discuss womanhood. :p

swirling_vortex
03-19-2010, 09:55 PM
In the United States, class is more a function of attitude and social interests than it is a function of economics. Plenty of people who would be considered working class in terms of economics and education are very sure they are middle class. Plenty of plainly wealthy people also see themselves as middle class.

Regardless of what class you consider yourself to be, I've never heard of anybody who changed their class conception downward because of circumstances. I could be flat broke but I would never see myself as poor/indigent in terms of class.

Having come out of a rural working class environment, I'm always amused at how quick college-educated urbanites are to latch on to their stereotypical notions of the working class. It's like watching she-males discuss womanhood. :p
I agree. What's the point of dividing people into income categories? Just like with our tax code, this concept of "class" has been used as a point to confiscate wealth and property. The other problem is that what we perceive as middle class changes from place to place and time. A wealthy king in England may have had it worse off than the "middle class" today because of advances in technology through medicine and machinery. A working poor person in America may be viewed as having an extravagant lifestyle compared to a 3rd world country in Africa.

The idea simply makes no sense to me.

NJCardFan
03-19-2010, 11:33 PM
There are people who consider themselves poor who have a hell of a lot more than middle class people had 25-30 years ago. "Poor" people today are seen in nice cars, wearing nice clothes, talking on cell phones, owning computers, gaming systems, etc. It's all about perception.

Carol
03-20-2010, 12:15 AM
What is more amazing is the results of the "poll".

Poll result (72 votes)

I am securely in the middle class and have no doubts about this. (17 votes, 24%) Vote
I used to consider myself in the middle class, but I have slipped down and no longer consider myself MC (37 votes, 51%) Vote
I used to be in the Middle Class and have moved up, thankfully, to greater wealth and support (10 votes, 14%) Vote
Other (Please Explain) (8 votes, 11%)

sandnsea Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Mar-19-10 09:27 PM
Response to Original message
3. Never been middle class, never will be n/t

greytdemocrat Donating Member (74 posts)
Response to Reply #3
5. And you never will be...

With an attitude like that.

Juche Donating Member (1000+ posts)

22. I never even got in

Edited on Fri Mar-19-10 10:26 PM by Juche
I graduated college right when the global economy started to collapse. Now I have years and years ahead of begging for low wage contract jobs w/o benefits or security. If I'm lucky. If I'm not as lucky I can live with family or in a tent.

But the concept of being an independent adult with dignity and autonomy is pretty much a dream right now.

And I think most people who consider themselves middle class really aren't. There is very little security anymore. Rising expenses, stagnant wages, growing public/private debt, the tax burden being shifted downward, etc. Most people who consider themselves middle class are one job loss or illness away from losing everything. Sob....sob....sniffle. What this guy/gal needs is a good old pity party....though he/she is doing a pretty good job it all by themselves.

Good grief. Some of these people who are complaining seem to have it better than I do and I consider myself to be middle class. I agree it's more an attitude than simply how much money you have.
Conservatives consider it to be taking responsibility for themselves, many liberals consider it wishful thinking on that persons part and it makes them vote against their "best interests".
Kutjara Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Fri Mar-19-10 09:36 PM
Response to Reply #1
7. It's always amazed me how so many Americans...

...identify themselves as middle class. People whom, in other countries would proudly label themselves "working class," here are lumped into a nondescript non-identity.

Of course, the creation of the American "middle class" has been one of the great victories of 20th Century right-wing politics. By eliminating class consciousness and making "middle class" an aspirational goal, the sense of working class solidarity that powered so much progressive change in the past has been largely destroyed. Where once we had workers, now we have consumers, who are only as good or important as their next big screen TV.Wow! A liberal who admits that they believe that eliminating class consciousness is a "bad thing". Liberals use it to divide people and stoke envy, jealousy, and resentment.

NJCardFan
03-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Wow. Having a decent job, a family, a house, and a car or 2 is a bad thing to these people?

Sonnabend
03-20-2010, 02:45 AM
I graduated college right when the global economy started to collapse

Wait...dont tell me, politics and Womyns studies....:rolleyes:

marv
03-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Hmmmm, maybe dropping out of school is what helped me to comfortably retire at age 54 in '92.

Starbuck
03-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Hmmmm, maybe dropping out of school is what helped me to comfortably retire at age 54 in '92.

Heh, heh...Yeah dropping out of school didn't seem to hurt Bill Gates, either....Michael Dell, Karl Rove, Richard Grasso (Head of NYSE, who took a 188 M$ Payout)....and me.:)

But we (Oh, listen to me put myself in such fine company:)) are all self educated far beyond where we stopped going to classes. And that's the key. Or so sayeth me.

Makes me a little angry to hear about people who live their lives virtually on the edge of extinction by living from one paycheck to the next.

swirling_vortex
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM

22. I never even got in

I graduated college right when the global economy started to collapse. Now I have years and years ahead of begging for low wage contract jobs w/o benefits or security. If I'm lucky. If I'm not as lucky I can live with family or in a tent.

But the concept of being an independent adult with dignity and autonomy is pretty much a dream right now.

And I think most people who consider themselves middle class really aren't. There is very little security anymore. Rising expenses, stagnant wages, growing public/private debt, the tax burden being shifted downward, etc. Most people who consider themselves middle class are one job loss or illness away from losing everything.
$10 says that he/she majored in theater.

SarasotaRepub
03-20-2010, 09:49 AM

22. I never even got in

Oh fuck off and die you retarded college hippy. What did you expect right out of skool, a VP position??? Christ these kids are stupid.