PDA

View Full Version : Capitalism has made society 'kinder': study

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Margaret Munro, Canwest News Service Published: Thursday, March 18, 2010

Free-enterprising, impersonal markets may seem cutthroat and mean-spirited, but a provocative new study says markets have been a force for good over the last 10,000 years, helping to drive the evolution of more trusting and co-operative societies.

"We live in a much kinder, gentler world than most humans have lived in," says anthropologist Joe Henrich of the University of British Columbia, lead author of the study that helps topple long-held stereotypes.

The finding, reported in the journal Science, suggests people trust and play fair with strangers because markets and religion -- not some deep psychological instinct inherited from our dim tribal past -- have helped shape our neural circuitry over the eons.

The 13 researchers on Mr. Henrich's international team spent time -- and played clever psychological games -- with more than 2,000 people in 15 different societies.

One researcher trekked to Bolivia to play the games with the Tsimane people who hunt and forage for food in the rain forest. Another anthropologist introduced the games to the Hadza living in small nomadic groups on the savannah in Tanzania. At the other end of the human spectrum, the researchers studied wage earners in Accra, Ghana and Missouri, in the American Midwest.

In each of the 15 societies, they recruited volunteers to play Dictator, Ultimatum and Third-Party Punishment - games widely used by researchers to gauge people's willingness to share with strangers, and punish people who make unfair allocations.

CONTINUED (http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2699128)

Apache
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Not only capitolism but religion as well?

Maybe them dead white guys had a good idea...:cool:

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Not only capitolism but religion as well?

Maybe them dead white guys had a good idea...:cool:racist!:p

Apache
03-20-2010, 12:09 PM
racist!:p

Think they mind:confused::p

Wei Wu Wei
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
You know the idea that Capitalism is an improvement beyond previous systems is accepted amongst most Marxists.

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
You know the idea that Capitalism is an improvement beyond previous systems is accepted amongst most Marxists.

No shit sherlock. Marxists also think that communism is better than capitalism and history shows us how that worked out. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
03-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I am tired of all of it. They should give me control of everything an I will be a kind and benevolent leader, as long as no short people mess with me!:cool:

PoliCon
03-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I am tired of all of it. They should give me control of everything an I will be a kind and benevolent leader, as long as no short people mess with me!:cool:
Why? Does it bother you?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/david-goliath.jpg

Rockntractor
03-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Why? Does it bother you?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/david-goliath.jpg

Silence! I will snuff you out with a wave of my hoof, shorty.:cool: