PDA

View Full Version : "No Sh*t Dick Tracy:Shooting at Pirates Works"

megimoo
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
US: Shooting at Pirates Works
"I'm Impress That These Idiots Have Figured that One All By Themselves.
Stephen Decatur could have told them that two hundred and ninety seven years ago ."

Washington - Armed crews are a good deterrent against Somali pirates, but the problem off the Horn of Africa will only be solved when Somalia itself is at peace, a top US official said on Friday.

"Oh I don't Know.With A few boats blown out of the water with Tomahawks
up their butts they should be able to figure it out !":D

Thomas Countryman, principal deputy assistant at the Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, said that while Washington does not encourage an escalation of violence in the region, shooting back at pirates does work.

"The firing of warning shots is often enough to cause pirates to break off the pursuit," Countryman told journalists.

The official said there had "not been a case of successful piracy" against an armed American-flagged ship.

Loose coalition

He said that US ships delivering government food aid to Somalia were required to "take certain security measures and in very high risk areas this (includes) carrying weapons".

"In our view it works," he said.

A loose coalition of countries ranging from China to the United States and EU nations is attempting to impose order in the seas off Somalia, a crucial shipping lane that Countryman said serves some 30 000 cargo vessels annually en route to or from the Suez Canal.

http://www.news24.com/Content/Africa/News/965/e80d90f73e8a474c8fbe31d874d0f864/19-03-2010-09-08/US_Shooting_at_pirates_works

Speedy
03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Washington - Armed crews are a good deterrent against Somali pirates, but the problem off the Horn of Africa will only be solved when Somalia itself is at peace, a top US official said on Friday.

I could give a fuck about whether Somalia is a peace or not or if they were reduced to eating pieces of their own bodies to keep from starving. American lives and ships should be protected at all costs and one need not to worry about how they "feel" or if they like it or not.