PDA

View Full Version : Last supper 'has been super-sized', say obesity experts

bijou
03-23-2010, 07:34 AM
The food portions depicted in paintings of the Last Supper have grown larger - in line with our own super-sizing of meals, say obesity experts.

The Cornell University team studied 52 of the most famous paintings of the Biblical scene over the millennium and scrutinised the size of the feast.

They found the main courses, bread and plates put before Jesus and his disciples have progressively grown by up to two-thirds.

This, they say, is art imitating life.

Professor Brian Wansink, who, with his brother Craig, led the research, published in the International Journal of Obesity, said: "The last thousand years have witnessed dramatic increases in the production, availability, safety, abundance and affordability of food.

"We think that as art imitates life, these changes have been reflected in paintings of history's most famous dinner."

He says the finding suggests that the phenomenon of serving bigger portions on larger plates has occurred gradually over the millennium.

His team used computer-aided design technology to scan and calculate the relative measurements of items in the paintings, regardless of their orientation.

These included works by El Greco, Leonardo Da Vinci, Lucas Cranach the Elder and Rubens.

Based on the assumption that the width of an average loaf of bread from the time should be twice that of the average disciple's head, the researchers plotted the size of the Passover evening dishes. ...

Your tax dollars at work (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8580146.stm):D

noonwitch
03-23-2010, 08:09 AM
The least Cornell could have done was give us all a photoshop image of Da Vinci's last supper with Jesus and the disciples eating Big Mac's and french fries. Then, it wouldn't have been such a waste of money.

Rebel Yell
03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
The least Cornell could have done was give us all a photoshop image of Da Vinci's last supper with Jesus and the disciples eating Big Mac's and french fries. Then, it wouldn't have been such a waste of money.

That's what I clicked on this thread hoping to see. No need to look at the link now.

noonwitch
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
That's what I clicked on this thread hoping to see. No need to look at the link now.

Where's a 12 year old when you need him?

Rebel Yell
03-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Where's a 12 year old when you need him?

I don't know. Where is We We We and CaughtintheMiddle? I'm sure they have mad skillz.;)

Gingersnap
03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
This is ridiculous. Style and new techniques had a lot more influence on depictions of the Last Supper than some fixation on portion sizes. Get real.

Both portions and plates have increased in size but almost all of that has been since 1950 - not 1500. During most of the period under discussion Europeans ate off trenchers which were stale bread "plates". There were no individual servings - everything was served family style and people took what they wanted and put it in front of themselves. Later wooden boards replaced trenchers but they were the same size and worked the same way.

The idea of dishing up individual servings of food and putting that in front of the diner is relatively new and it's really new for non-royal/wealthy people. Even when I was a kid living out in the sticks families still ate "family style". :rolleyes:

enslaved1
03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Your tax dollars at work (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8580146.stm):D

That was my first thought when I heard what the results of this big study "How much federal grant money did these idiots get for this?"