PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jindal

Mary Ann
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
My son & I were just having a conversation about Bobby Jindal. He is probably the greatest hope for the future of the conservative political movement available.

My son (age 22) would love to see him as the VP selection. Thinks he could bring youth, administrative experience and a TON of other advantages to the Republican ticket. Also says he has done amazing things with healthcare in Louisiana, which I hadn't heard.

My feeling is that he should have a few more years under his belt. Give him a chance to enhance his resume by cleaning up Louisiana. I think he's too much of a "newbie" at this point. In eight years he could be--hands down!--the choice for the top spot on the ticket!

Interested in the opinions of all the rest of you.

One question did come up: Why was the Louisiana election held in '07, rather than an even numbered year, like other states?

linda22003
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Jindal is a great candidate, but he needs a few years under his belt. He is still way more qualified than what the Dems are offering up though.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
One question did come up: Why was the Louisiana election held in '07, rather than an even numbered year, like other states?

I don't have the faintest idea. :D

Elections in Louisiana, with the exception of U.S. presidential elections (and congressional races beginning in 2008), follow a variation of the open primary system called the jungle primary. Candidates of any and all parties are listed on one ballot; voters need not limit themselves to the candidates of one party. Unless one candidate takes more than 50% of the vote in the first round, a run-off election is then held between the top two candidates, who may in fact be members of the same party.

I am an election commissioner and when we had our FIRST closed primary this spring, it was chaos. People kept saying"How can I be a Democrat, I've voted Republican for YEARS!"

Mary Ann
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.

He showed an amazing amount of political courage in vetoing a raise for legislators recently. It had been one of his campaign promises. The legislature voted themselves a raise, anyway, probably to test him, and he stood up to them, risking riling them up and jeopardizing their cooperation down the road.

Everything I have heard about him has been positive.

(BTW, I'm from Michigan--and I wish Jennifer Granholm would be up for re-election--SOON! I've voted against her twice already, and would love the opportunity to do it again.)

linda22003
08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.

They can't succeed themselves but they can run again later.

linda22003
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to remember the last time one did. I think not since I moved here (1981). In fact, I just checked the full list and it looks like Patrick Henry is the last one who did.

ReaganForRus
08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Library Lady won't let Bobby run for VP:(................................but with experience he will be seasoned to run for President (if he isn't seduced to become a RINO.)

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/OmaandPeg.jpg

Bobby and my family.

He is not going to become a RINO.:D

I had to laugh today, a very liberal newspaper columnist here published a very nice article about Jindal and I thanked him and said it must have broken his heart to admit a Republican was doing well.

Let us have him for a few years!!

lacarnut
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
He showed an amazing amount of political courage in vetoing a raise for legislators recently. It had been one of his campaign promises. The legislature voted themselves a raise, anyway, probably to test him, and he stood up to them, risking riling them up and jeopardizing their cooperation down the road.

Everything I have heard about him has been positive.

I voted for Gov. Jindal and think he will do great things for the state of Louisiana.

Let me set the record straight on the pay raise. The Gov. agreed to the pay raise and in exchange the legislature would pass his reforms. The reforms were passed and the shit hit the fan when taxpayers found out that legislators would wind up doubling their salaries. Presently, legislators in this state have the second highest pay scale in the south. The Gov. said he would not sign the pay raise but after so many days it would become law. However, with the outpouring of discontent leading to recalls of him and several other legislators, he changed his mind and vetoed it. I am hoping that these Democratic politicians will not hold it against him. Another Repub.Gov., Buddy Roemer, tried to ramrod legislation down the throats of the Democ. controlled legislature over 20 years ago and it turned into nothing but chaos.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Now lacarnut, he cut off lots of their crooked money, they have to make up the difference somewhere!!!:D

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Jindal would be a tough candidate, but theres no way the ignorant Republican base will come out for him. Definitely qualified, but very unelectable.

MrsSmith
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Jindal would be a tough candidate, but theres no way the ignorant Republican base will come out for him. Definitely qualified, but very unelectable.

You may well be right, but that .5% or so shouldn't make any big difference.

LibraryLady
08-04-2008, 10:20 PM

I bet you can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Bobby Jindal won the election with 54% of the vote in a 12 person race!! He is an immensely talented man and a fantastic campaigner. Believe me, he will go far. unlike you.

lacarnut
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM

In a head to head debate with Obama, Jindal would wipe the floor up with him. If Obama wins the Presidency, the next Prez will be Jindal in 2012.

Eyelids
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
If you're speak megimoo you have to put spaces before the exclamashun points.

Yes, that was on purpose.

lacarnut
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Duplicate.....

Goldwater
08-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I like Jindal but the way he speaks is too mechanical, it kind of gives that Romney slick impression like it's all rehearsed, no one can talk casually anymore. A small gripe though.

lacarnut
08-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I like Jindal but the way he speaks is too mechanical, it kind of gives that Romney slick impression like it's all rehearsed, no one can talk casually anymore. A small gripe though.

I get that impression also when he gives a prepared speech but off the cuff like in an interview, he comes across less mechanical. Lets face it, I don't see another Ronald Reagan anywhere.