PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair and Dictators

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-24-2010, 03:34 AM
It seems that for decades, if not for centuries, facial hair has been mighty popular amongst dictators--from Ivan the Terrible down through Saddam Hussein, nearly all of history's most well known dictators/murderous tyrants have sported some form of facial hair.

It seems the most popular form of facial hair amongst dictators in recent decades has been the mustache: Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Hirohito, and Saddam Hussein being some of the most visible mustaches in modern history.

However before hand, it seems the full beard was the most popular form of tyrant facial fashion, with brutal monarches like England's Henry VIII and Russia's Ivan the Terrible sporting dense boards, as well as numerous other European tyrants into the late 19th century. In recent decades, thugs like Che Guevera and Castro sported full beards.

The goatee, as far as I can tell has only had one tyrant/dictator: Vladimir Lenin. As far as I know, Lenin is the only major or well known dictator to have sported a goatee.

It just seems to me that facial hair, while cool in some ways, seems to be well liked by dictators. Consider that four of whom many conservatives would consider to be the greatest modern defenders of our constitution, Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge,Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan, were all cleanshaven even though many of them grew up in eras where facial hair was accepted socially. On the other hand, consider that some of the earliest progressives--Teddy Roosevelt, for one example, and William H. Taft, both sported dense mustaches, while (some have argued) one of the earliest violators of our constitution, Abraham Lincoln, sported a chin beard and later a goatee.

djones520
03-24-2010, 03:49 AM
While I normally think your threads are mildly worth some consideration, apon review of this one I give it my personal seal of fail.

http://cdn.allleftturns.com/www/sites/default/files/articles/shipment_of_fail.jpg

linda22003
03-24-2010, 07:16 AM
I forget who said it, but someone observed that German history is one long succession of ridiculous mustaches.