PDA

View Full Version : Killer icicles terrorise Russians

bijou
03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
"Every day, I go out into the street as if I was entering a war zone," complained resident Boris Ilinsky, 28.

"I've got to keep my eyes on the ground to avoid slipping and I'm also looking up to avoid falling lumps of ice," he added. ... The city hall, however, says that accidents are inevitable given the scale of the ice-clearing after such a severe winter.

"The snow falls this winter have been unprecedented, a kind of natural disaster. Unfortunately, there are victims," Yury Osipov, head of Saint Petersburg's housing committee, told AFP. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7511235/Killer-icicles-terrorise-Russians.html

Gingersnap
03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
"Milana was just walking past a building in the city centre... There was no warning tape, nothing to alert people that people were working on the roof," said Miss Kashtanova's boyfriend, Irinei Kalachev.

But municipal authorities argued that the accident was her own fault, saying she ignored warning shouts from street cleaners because she was wearing headphones and listening to music, Mr Kalachev said.

Another senseless iPod death. Tragic.

PoliCon
03-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Another senseless iPod death. Tragic.

Is her family suing Apple now?

Speedy
03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
When I was stationed in Korea we would sometimes be tasked out to put up a retrans station on top of Namsan Mountain right above downtown Seoul. There was a huge tower up there and you had to go under it to get from our retrans station and the TDY barracks to the chow hall. When there was a thaw there would be icicles falling off of the tower for days. Since every time we put up a retrans station it was considered a tactical enviroment, we always wore our Helmets and vests when going under that thing and ice was falling.

Gingersnap
03-25-2010, 10:05 PM
We have a lot of experience with sliding snow/ice out here. We just put snow "fins" on smooth roofs. At the same time, we don't walk next to buildings in Denver after it's snowed.

PoliCon
03-25-2010, 10:25 PM
After our record snow fall here in Pittsburgh, my sister had an icicle hanging off the back of her house that was over 10 feet long and had to be more than 18 inches in diameter at the top. Luckily we have new gutters and a terracotta roof and that combination seems to have made us the only house in my neighborhood that did not have 'deathcicles' hanging from our roof.

SarasotaRepub
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Tragic effects of Global Warming. :(
:rolleyes: