PDA

View Full Version : 'Eco-sex' asks: How green is your love life?

Gingersnap
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
'Eco-sex' asks: How green is your love life?

If an ecologically sustainable life between the sheets hasn't crossed your mind, you're still a 'total environmental neophyte,' author says.

By Jill Serjeant, Reuters
Tue, Mar 23 2010 at 10:02 AM EST
Read more: BOOKS, HEALTH, HEALTHY LIVING

LOS ANGELES You drive a hybrid, eat organic, and are passionate about recycling. But how green is your love life?

Think about those lovely Valentine's Day roses and the environmental costs of growing them and the carbon miles involved in flying them in from faraway lands.

And what about used condoms, tossed into the toilet and making their way into sewers that perhaps pollute the ocean?

If an ecologically sustainable life between the sheets hasn't crossed your mind, you're still a "total environmental neophyte," according to author Stefanie Iris Weiss.

But help is on the way with Weiss's new handbook Eco-Sex, which leaves no stone unturned in its mission to bring the bedroom front and center into the battle to save the planet.

"I have always wanted to write a sex book. I am a very committed greenie, and I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I saw a gap in the market and I couldn't believe no one had written about this topic," Weiss, 38, told Reuters.

"I think green sex is having its moment right now. I think it is the next big thing in green. People are realizing that their everyday, most intimate habits, are deeply connected to this horrible crisis we are in," she said.

Eco-Sex will land on retail bookshelves on March 31 by Ten Speed Press.

From hand-cranked sex toys (and Web sites where old battery-driven devices can be recycled) to healthy, eco-friendly underwear (bamboo) and dating sites for ecological warriors, Eco-Sex aims to show readers how to reduce the carbon footprint of their love life and have fun doing it.

Wouldn't celibacy be the ultimate "green" sex decision? :cool:

Mother Nature network (http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/eco-sex-asks-how-green-is-your-love-life#)

FlaGator
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Sex and green shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless your discussing an episode of the original Star Trek series.

Gingersnap
03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Sex and green shouldn't be used in the same sentence unless your discussing an episode of the original Star Trek series.

Oddly enough, they didn't seem to need sex toys on the Enterprise (aside from the female ensigns, of course).

Gingersnap
03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Bumping for hot Amish action.

noonwitch
03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Recycling battery-driven devices sounds pretty unhygenic.

Sonnabend
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
If this means less greenies owing to less reproduction, than I am all for it...oh wait....damn... greenies bludge on welfare and they dont work.... so thats all they have time for :rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-26-2010, 09:47 PM
If this means less greenies owing to less reproduction, than I am all for it...oh wait....damn... greenies bludge on welfare and they dont work.... so thats all they have time for :rolleyes:

Bit of a broad brush much? Anyone who loves the environment must be a welfare bum?

Rockntractor
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Bit of a broad brush much? Anyone who loves the environment must be a welfare bum?

What does being an idiot greenie have to do with loving the environment?

Rockntractor
03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Oddly enough, they didn't seem to need sex toys on the Enterprise (aside from the female ensigns, of course).

Of course they didn't need sex toys on the enterprise, they had a holodeck. It was self cleaning with pressure washer jets when you were done!

Kay
03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I used to leave a huge carbon footprint in this area.

Gingersnap
03-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Of course they didn't need sex toys on the enterprise, they had a holodeck. It was self cleaning with pressure washer jets when you were done!

I meant the first one. :p

PoliCon
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Green sex life? Does that refer to sex that involves organically grown veggies? :eek:

Rockntractor
03-26-2010, 10:20 PM
I meant the first one. :p

The first one had a holodeck too, duh!

Gingersnap
03-26-2010, 10:22 PM
The first one had a holodeck too, duh!

Did it? Who knew? :o

Rockntractor
03-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Did it? Who knew? :o

It wasn't as big a deal at first. They didn't understand the full potential.

Gingersnap
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
It wasn't as big a deal at first. They didn't understand the full potential.

If holodecks were real, the entire human race would die out in about 15 minutes (in civilization time). Who would actually bother to have a job, relationship, or reproduce if you could have a "perfect" job, relationship, or family in fantasy-land?

Oh, wait! That was a Democrat campaign promise. :p

Rockntractor
03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
If holodecks were real, the entire human race would die out in about 15 minutes (in civilization time). Who would actually bother to have a job, relationship, or reproduce if you could have a "perfect" job, relationship, or family in fantasy-land?

Oh, wait! That was a Democrat campaign promise. :p
It wouldn't be a problem. When the holodeck switched on the self cleaning cycle it would save the necessary organic material to reproduce life in a test tube.

Gingersnap
03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
It wouldn't be a problem. When the holodeck switched on the self cleaning cycle it would save the necessary organic material to reproduce life in a test tube.

They already do that at McDonald's. :D

RobJohnson
03-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Should I feel guilty that I used 3 condoms last night?

Rockntractor
03-27-2010, 12:53 PM

It depends. did you have a date?:confused::eek:

PoliCon
03-27-2010, 08:55 PM

:eek: Was she that dirty that you had to triple wrap your junk?

:D