PDA

View Full Version : DUmmies torn about violence.

djones520
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Uncle Joe (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:04 PM
Original message
Poll question: Do you believe the American People should have the right to violently oppose their own government?
When I say "Right" in this context, I mean to have it enshrined in the Constitution as is "Freedom of Speech" etc. etc.
Poll result (146 votes)
Yes (57 votes, 39%) Vote
No (79 votes, 54%) Vote
Other (10 votes, 7%) Vote

Honestly an interesting question IMO.

yourout (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:06 PM
Response to Original message
1. I guess we need an amendment that states...."violence is not speach"

conspirator (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 10:31 PM
Response to Reply #1
124. Do you think the french managed to convince Marie Antoinette with kind words?
Even after imprisoned, she summoned the Austrians to invade and kill the french peasants
The elites are evil.

drmeow (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:10 PM
2. I'm very mixed about this
Edited on Sat Mar-27-10 04:10 PM by drmeow
If the right wing had stolen the last election like they stole the previous 2, there was part of me which was in support of a violent reaction.

Uncle Joe (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:12 PM
Response to Reply #2
5. But where does it end, if the Republicans thought a Democratic President was illegitimate, what
would prevent them from doing the same?

ProSense (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:11 PM
3. Who the hell is voting yes?
There are progressives who are okay with armed teabaggers rushing the WH? Who believe this is a right?

People have lost their damn minds.

Statistical (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:17 PM
Response to Reply #3
11. I voted Yes. It is a right. A right that founded this country.
I oppose the teabaggers but the question was open ended. It didn't mention teabaggers. It asked do you have the right to violently oppose the government and the reality is at least our founders believed so.

Not only did they do EXACTLY THAT but they wrote this

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

http://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/document /

So either the right exists or the government we have now is illegitimate. It can't be both.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8033100

An interesting thread for the DUmp. There is your standard abundance of stupidty in there of course, but some pretty reasonable discourse as well.

Sonnabend
03-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Yes (57 votes, 39%) Vote
No (79 votes, 54%) Vote

This from a website that was subject to at least two Secret Service investigations for death threats against Pres. Bush.

Carol
03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes (57 votes, 39%) Vote
No (79 votes, 54%) Vote

This from a website that was subject to at least two Secret Service investigations for death threats against Pres. Bush.

The key is this one.

ProSense (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:11 PM
3. Who the hell is voting yes?
There are progressives who are okay with armed teabaggers rushing the WH? Who believe this is a right?

People have lost their damn minds.They are voting No because they are in power and they don't want Republicans/conservatives to violently oppose "their" government. They might lose.

But if they were the minority party then they would be voting in LARGE numbers YES.

NJCardFan
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
drmeow (1000+ posts) Sat Mar-27-10 04:10 PM
2. I'm very mixed about this
Edited on Sat Mar-27-10 04:10 PM by drmeow
If the right wing had stolen the last election like they stole the previous 2, there was part of me which was in support of a violent reaction.
:rolleyes:

Apache
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Like it or not DUmmies, it is a RIGHT, protected by the Constitution...unlike your "right" to health-care...