PDA

View Full Version : DUmmie supports Ron Paul

djones520
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM
LAGC (601 posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:07 AM
Original message
I Attended a Ron Paul Speech Tonight (!)
My conservative-leaning younger brother offered to pay my $10 entrance fee, and I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night so I took him up on it, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

The place was packed, 1500 people of all ages, tables in the front handing out libertarian literature -- some for free, some for a small fee. Book signings of "Revolution" and "End the Fed" by Ron Paul was to commence after the speech.

It started out pretty dreadful, him railing against the health care bill mainly on the grounds of being against the mandate to have coverage and because it was a "redistribution of wealth" scheme. He started going off against welfare, and Medicare and Medicaid and all the "socialized medicine" over the years. I wasn't sure if I was going to last through it all...

Then came the good part. He suddenly switched gears and started railing against the bogus wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, drawing the loudest applause of the night, including someone who stood up and yelled "Unjust wars are murder!" He went on to chastise Republicans for meddling in personal affairs, how if people do things that harm no one else, or put things in their own bodies, politicians have no right to outlaw it just because they disagree.

During the question and answer session at the end, someone wrote on one of the cards "Why do you run as a Republican?" as opposed to an independent, presumably. Ron Paul avoided this question, only saying that both parties have faults. I'm sure a good part of the reason has to do with his anti-choice position on abortion, which is strange, considering he championed personal choice and individual freedom just minutes earlier.

He wrapped up by pointing out that he had his best showing of any state Republican primaries here in Idaho where he pulled 24% of the vote.

I left there thinking we could definitely do much worse than Ron Paul, if a good majority of conservatives saw the world the way he does, we'd have a much better dialog and consensus on important issues in Washington. We could end these stupid wars and keep the government out of our bedrooms and personal affairs, while we debate the other issues that we disagree on.

I hope we see more Republicans attracted to his ideas in future election cycles.

Cessna Invesco Palin (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:09 AM
Response to Original message
1. No. FUCK Ron Paul.
Seriously fuck Ron Paul and his retarded, racist bullshit.

Ok then...

heppcatt (168 posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:14 AM
3. My question would have been..........
Exactly which countries have ever successfully used the anarchist Utopian ideas of libertarianism?

msongs (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:20 AM
6. ok u went now go out n campaign for your local democrat progressive nt

GET BACK IN LINE!

jobycom (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:27 AM
8. I don't like him, or most of his ideas, but I'm glad there's a conservative
out there complaining about the wars. It works to weaken their support, and works to weaken overall support for more wars. That's the only credit I'll give him.

I used to live in his district, and still live pretty close to it. He's a liar, and a very mean man. For decades a newsletter ran with his name on it, and it included some of the most racist stuff I've ever read (and I have always lived in the South, so I've read a lot). Paul never tried to stop it, even though it had his name on it, and even though most of the stuff implied it was written by Paul himself. Later it became an issue, and Paul claimed it was an editor he had hired, and he himself had not proofed everything, so he didn't know the stuff was being printed. That was a lie, because people had written him a ton of letters over the years about it. When that lie wasn't good enough, he later changed to "I don't know who wrote it, I never agreed with it. I'm the victim here." Despite the fact that this newsletter ran for decades with his name on it, and clearly printed in his home town of Lake Jackson--which isn't a big town.

He wrote the stuff, or at least approved of it. In addition, his campaign ads in the 90s were just mean. He ran against one guy named Loy Sneary, and the whole campaign were jokes about his name. "I'm leary of Loy Sneary" was one, but the most telling was the commercial with an older white Texan-sounding woman intoning at the end "What kind of name is Sneary, anyway?" In other words, as every Texan understood, Paul was asking "What's the ethnic background of Sneary?"

He's a piece of shit. But at least he's undermining the Republicans in their love of war.

beam me up scottie (1000+ posts) Sun Mar-28-10 01:55 AM
14. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend.
Ron Paul scares the hell out of me.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8035889

Dan D. Doty
03-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Pretty much anyone who isn't a foaming at the mouth Moonbat scars the folks on DU.

" How can you trust someone who's not in group therapy? "

FlaGator
03-28-2010, 07:29 AM
A lot of what you see on DU is a fear in the weakness of their political ideology. Its one of the reasons they don't like their members talking about or visiting other sites. The members my be exposing themselves to ideas that are superior to the views on DU and then bringing those ideas back to the hive. Nothing upsets the donations like having people see reality and going else were. The hard core DUers jump on anyone expressing divergent opinion from the have. It DU-land you have to agree that all conservatives are evil. You can disagree on how they are evil but the base assumption can not be challenged.