PDA

View Full Version : Operating system not found!

patriot45
03-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Son of a bitch! I went to get on my other computer after company left a few minutes ago and got a damn DOS screen that says operating system not found! I am not computer literate, I like to hit the button and do my thing.

Is this bad!?!

How bad?

I'm on the wifes computer right now.

Rockntractor
03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Son of a bitch! I went to get on my other computer after company left a few minutes ago and got a damn DOS screen that says operating system not found! I am not computer literate, I like to hit the button and do my thing.

Is this bad!?!

How bad?

I'm on the wifes computer right now.
Your hard drive probably died. Buy another hard drive and reload windows . no big deal. Hardrives are cheap and easy to put in.

patriot45
03-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Your hard drive probably died. By another hard drive and reload windows . no big deal. Hardrives are cheap and easy to put in.

There was no warning! Where do you put in a new hard drive? What is a new hard drive? It sounds complicated, should I just get a new laptop?

Will I lose everything? All my docs and pics?

Rockntractor
03-28-2010, 11:30 PM
There was no warning! Where do you put in a new hard drive? What is a new hard drive? It sounds complicated, should I just get a new laptop?

Will I lose everything? All my docs and pics?
It is normally just a matter of taking out 2 to four screws on the bottom of your laptop and the drive will come out. Use your wifes laptop to go to the manufacturers website of your laptop and download the PDF manual for you model it will give you all the instructions. You can buy a hardrive from new egg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148446
order a external laptop hardrive enclosure to put your old drive in, you may be able to pull your files off from it after you replace it with a new drive in your laptop.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001

It is easy. I have done it many times and I'm just a barnyard animal!

patriot45
03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
It is normally just a matter of taking out 2 to four screws on the bottom of your laptop and the drive will come out. Use your wifes laptop to go to the manufacturers website of your laptop and download the PDF manual for you model it will give you all the instructions. You can buy a hardrive from new egg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148446
order a external laptop hardrive enclosure to put your old drive in, you may be able to pull your files off from it after you replace it with a new drive in your laptop.

It is easy. I have done it many times and I'm just a barnyard animal!

And I'm just a bald redneck! I'm going to shoot it tomorrow! Damn laptops are only about 400 right now, how much is a hard drive and what makes you think I could install it!?!

Rockntractor
03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
And I'm just a bald redneck! I'm going to shoot it tomorrow! Damn laptops are only about 400 right now, how much is a hard drive and what makes you think I could install it!?!

The hard drive i linked you to was 54 bucks. Don't throw it out what ever you do. Seriously they are easy to install and reload windows.

patriot45
03-28-2010, 11:48 PM
The hard drive i linked you to was 54 bucks. Don't throw it out what ever you do. Seriously they are easy to install and reload windows.

All right, I won't kill it....yet! I'll call my son tomorrow and see if he knows what you are talking about!
This sucks. I'm spoiled! I want to hit the button and have it work like every other time!

:D

Rockntractor
03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
All right, I won't kill it....yet! I'll call my son tomorrow and see if he knows what you are talking about!
This sucks. I'm spoiled! I want to hit the button and have it work like every other time!

:D

You really need to have a spare laptop. i clone all my laptop drives when i install them. I buy two drives and when i have everything loaded on the laptop i clone it to another drive. I update my copy every month. That way if the drive fails, I can snap in the clone in ten minutes and be up and running with virtually no difference to the computer I'm running.

Articulate_Ape
03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Do you have the DOS prompt? What operating system was it? Throw me a bone here.

patriot45
03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
You really need to have a spare laptop. i clone all my laptop drives when i install them. I buy two drives and when i have everything loaded on the laptop i clone it to another drive. I update my copy every month. That way if the drive fails, I can snap in the clone in ten minutes and be up and running with virtually no difference to the computer I'm running.

Rock! you are miles ahead of me! I said I was computer illiterate and I meant it! I'll let my son make sense of it tomorrow, he has a screwdriver! :D

Arty Ape, its a Gateway with Windows Vista, wasn't a great investment, but I thought it would last forever!

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Rock! you are miles ahead of me! I said I was computer illiterate and I meant it! I'll let my son make sense of it tomorrow, he has a screwdriver! :D

Arty Ape, its a Gateway with Windows Vista, wasn't a great investment, but I thought it would last forever!

I have had more than one gateway,they are okay but next time buy a Dell business laptop. For price I prefer the vostro series. You can't go wrong with a lenova business laptop either. If you have limitless money like those Englishmen you could buy one of those laptops named after fruit.

Articulate_Ape
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM

Never trust anything in a holstein-colored package unless it is full of milk or meat. 'Nuff said.

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Never trust anything in a holstein-colored package unless it is full of milk or meat. 'Nuff said.

Go over to ebay sometime and look at their listings of dead laptops for parts or repair. You learn a lot.

patriot45
03-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Go over to ebay sometime and look at their listings of dead laptops for parts or repair. You learn a lot.

Last time a laptop died on me, I had a freind look at it for a week and he handed me this!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/HPIM1082.jpg

If this is a hard drive, I dont know what to do with it! But I had alot of stuff on it!

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Last time a laptop died on me, I had a freind look at it for a week and he handed me this!

If this is a hard drive, I dont know what to do with it! But I had alot of stuff on it!
a lot of times I'm able to put them in an external usb enclosure and run them long enough to get the files off them. If they won't start slap them in the palm of your hand and try again.

Articulate_Ape
03-29-2010, 12:51 AM

Jesus saves. (http://mozy.com/)

patriot45
03-29-2010, 12:52 AM
external usb enclosure

I love it when you talk chinese to me! :D

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Jesus saves. (http://mozy.com/)

Patriot wept.

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I love it when you talk chinese to me! :D

patriot45
03-29-2010, 12:57 AM

You just aint following! Buy computer. Take out of box. turn on and use! When that fails, I'm lost! My son is pretty up on this stuff, Ill see what he has to say! Probably, Dad..... shoot it! :D

Apocalypse
03-29-2010, 12:59 AM
a lot of times I'm able to put them in an external usb enclosure and run them long enough to get the files off them. If they won't start slap them in the palm of your hand and try again.

I doubt he has an external USB hookup for it, or would know how to set it up. Slapping part is new to me, but sounds reasonable.

One question before he tries this him self. Warranty? If its still under its warranty, then Gateway should pay for a new drive, and in most cases, install it for you. But they will charge to try and save any thing on the old drive. One warning, calling their support line is almost a waste of time, gateway sucks on customer support, and in most cases, take it back to where you bought it, to see if they can take care of it there.

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 01:00 AM
You just aint following! Buy computer. Take out of box. turn on and use! When that fails, I'm lost! My son is pretty up on this stuff, Ill see what he has to say! Probably, Dad..... shoot it! :D

Before you shoot it mail it to me and I'll fix it and give it to some poor schmuck that doesn't have one.

patriot45
03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Before you shoot it mail it to me and I'll fix it and give it to some poor schmuck that doesn't have one.

But you will see where i have been, that won't be healthy! :eek:

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 01:06 AM
But you will see where i have been, that won't be healthy! :eek:
Have your son take the drive out before you mail it.

patriot45
03-29-2010, 01:06 AM
I doubt he has an external USB hookup for it, or would know how to set it up. Slapping part is new to me, but sounds reasonable.

One question before he tries this him self. Warranty? If its still under its warranty, then Gateway should pay for a new drive, and in most cases, install it for you. But they will charge to try and save any thing on the old drive. One warning, calling their support line is almost a waste of time, gateway sucks on customer support, and in most cases, take it back to where you bought it, to see if they can take care of it there.

Hey! I'm right here! I can hear you! No warranty, its 2 years old and it was about 400 bucs back then. I don't mind it dying, I just wish I had put all my docs on a disc, my photos are mainly on photobucket so I'm not worried about them. It really sucks that now my wife doesn't have a computer! :D:cool:

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 01:12 AM

I would say about 75% of the time I can get them to run long enough to get personal documents out of them. a lot of times the little styluses or arms whatever you call them get stuck from wear and slapping them frees them up for awhile but they freeze up again so when you get them running download everything immediately.

patriot45
03-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I would say about 75% of the time I can get them to run long enough to get personal documents out of them. a lot of times the little styluses or arms whatever you call them get stuck from wear and slapping them frees them up for awhile but they freeze up again so when you get them running download everything immediately.

Actually, there is nothing incriminating on there! But in my docs are all my email forms and proposals and saved spreadsheets for all jobs I'm still working on! This sucks!

Rockntractor
03-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Actually, there is nothing incriminating on there! But in my docs are all my email forms and proposals and saved spreadsheets for all jobs I'm still working on! This sucks!
Your just going to have to get an external drive and start backing things up. You can get programs that will do it automatically for you.

dixierat
03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
If the OS is just corrupted and the Hard Drive isn't totally dead, you caould try to have someone competent in computer repair reinstall the OS. If they're successful, you'll be able to save the data from the HD. It may not work, but only if the HD is DEAD. I'd take it to someone who can repair it myself.

:cool:

NJCardFan
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Rock, is that true for PC's as well? I have a Compaq I bought but either the mother board or hard drive went. I have stuff on that computer I want to save like pictures of my dog when he was a puppy. And if so, is there a way to connect a PC hard drive with a laptop?

fettpett
05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey Rock, is that true for PC's as well? I have a Compaq I bought but either the mother board or hard drive went. I have stuff on that computer I want to save like pictures of my dog when he was a puppy. And if so, is there a way to connect a PC hard drive with a laptop?

if it's the motherboard you wont it to boot up at all. if it's the hard drive it'll boot up and go through the memory check and you'll see a lot of stuff on the monitor till it tries to load the Operating System. at that point it'll tell you it can't find the OS.

If it's the Motherboard and not the Hard drive, you can take the hard drive out and put it in another computer.

and and FYI for all computer illeterate people DO NOT take your stuff to the Geek Squad, they are a bunch of overpriced idiots that can't do a whole lot or don't know how to. Find a nice little local computer shop and take it in there. They'll charge you less and they'll know what their doing (most of the time).

Rockntractor
05-02-2010, 11:19 AM

You need a usb hard drive enclosure, I prefer a toaster type that you just plug the drives in the top. Some times the frozen drives will read, sometimes not. If they do come on for you, go to your documents and settings file and download it first.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

Rockntractor
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Do yourself a favor and if you buy a toaster buy another hardrive with it, you can get a 500 gig for 50 bucks and back up all your pictures. You can even clone the drive in your computer so if you have a drive failure you can put in the cloned drive and lose nothing.

swirling_vortex
05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
You could always boot a copy of a Linux live cd (like Ubuntu or Knoppix) and try to retrieve your files that way. Most distros come with NTFS support.

patriot45
05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
You could always boot a copy of a Linux live cd (like Ubuntu or Knoppix) and try to retrieve your files that way. Most distros come with NTFS support.

Man, you computer geeks got a way with words! Its an alien language. I gave up on my old laptop but now my wife's Dell Vostros is shutting off sporadically when typing. When it shuts off, I just hit the on button and all is well, I'm right back where I was. It is inconvenient but seems like its something that will probably get worse. Anyone hear of this problem?
Running Vista.

swirling_vortex
05-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Man, you computer geeks got a way with words! Its an alien language. I gave up on my old laptop but now my wife's Dell Vostros is shutting off sporadically when typing. When it shuts off, I just hit the on button and all is well, I'm right back where I was. It is inconvenient but seems like its something that will probably get worse. Anyone hear of this problem?
Running Vista.
Aw, it's not that technical. :p Linux is just another operating system, but it's split off into different "versions" of it (think of flavors of ice cream). A live cd just means that you can boot the OS without having it to install to a hard drive. That's why they're so handy at recovering borked Windows installs. :cool:

If your computer is shutting off randomly, it could be due to a number of problems. The first thing I would check is if it's a virus. If you don't have a scanner (or you have one with an expired subscription), you can get something like Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/) which is free and it'll give you decent protection. If the computer is shutting down during the scan, you can boot into Safe mode (press the F8 key during startup until a menu appears) and try it that way.

Otherwise, I'd suspect it's a hardware problem. The computer is either overheating (the CPU fan may have stopped working), the power supply is on its last legs, or the actual power is unreliable. The former two you can replace and the third you can test by moving the computer to a different outlet that has stable power.

However, before you do any of that, you said that everything was resumed when you hit the power button. This could be a case where the computer is sleeping or hibernating automatically even though you have keyboard input, which is weird. Anyway, to turn off these auto settings, go to the control panel-->power options--change plan settings and for the battery and plugged-in option, change the put the computer to sleep setting at Never. Test this out for awhile and see what happens.