PDA

View Full Version : Colo. Gets Another Shot at Banning Abortion

FlaGator
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Another state is taking on the challenge of abortion as a right.

The secretary of state confirmed on Friday that Colorado-based Personhood USA submitted enough signatures to put an amendment that would protect the preborn to a statewide vote this fall.

"Letís go win this election for the babies," the group said Saturday.
Personhood Colorado had originally submitted more than the required 76,000 signatures in February but 20 percent of the signatures were deemed invalid.

The group had two weeks to submit more than 15,000 additional signatures. On March 18, they turned in more than 46,000 signatures Ė three times what was required.

"Over the past few days, the massive quantities of signatures that poured in just amazed us," said Gualberto Garcia-Jones, co-sponsor of the Personhood Ballot initiative, at that time.

The story can be read here (http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100327/colo-gets-another-shot-at-banning-abortion/index.html)

linda22003
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
So is this one of those things that would go into effect IF Roe is overturned? It wasn't mentioned in the article.

Gingersnap
03-29-2010, 12:40 PM
This is a personhood amendment. It would give the unborn some protections. I don't expect this to pass this time but it's clear that more and more people in the state see purely elective abortions as an evil.

We'll see what happens at the ballot box.

linda22003
03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen the text of the legislation; if the unborn is a "person", and abortion is still legal, what does that even mean?

FlaGator
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I haven't seen the text of the legislation; if the unborn is a "person", and abortion is still legal, what does that even mean?

It would be used as a challenge to Roe v. Wade. I believe that South Dakota has banned abortions except in extreme cases as a challenge to Roe v. Wade. The goal, besides the elimination of abortions from their states, is to redefine the federal government's role in something that the states see as under their jurisdiction.

Gingersnap
03-29-2010, 01:41 PM

It's part of a state's rights claim. Essentially, you can have all the elective abortions you want - just not in this state. The personhood amendments are being proposed in about 40 states now. As I say, I don't expect it to pass (although I signed the petition to get it on the ballot).

If popular sentiment continues in the direction it's been going for the past 15 years, we might eventually get to a place where elective abortion is still legal but where there just aren't any facilities or physicians to perform it.

linda22003
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I was going to say, "What's the use of a right, if there's no access?", but we all may be finding that out in the health care arena soon enough.

Gingersnap
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I was going to say, "What's the use of a right, if there's no access?", but we all may be finding that out in the health care arena soon enough.

True enough. I've got to point out that there is no "right" to an abortion any more than there is a "right" to chemotherapy or artificial heart valves. You have to convince a physician to perform the abortion. Some can be convinced to it through a simple request but others wouldn't disturb a pregnancy unless the mother was likely to die of the pregnancy.

wilbur
03-29-2010, 01:59 PM

There really isn't any. Take away a service directly by law, or take it away by making it impossible to access - either way, the abortion prohibitionists get what they want - less dead non-person cell clusters.

Or so they think anyways - abortion is so easy these days, taking them black market will be trivial.

linda22003
03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Remember that not all abortions are surgical anymore; it's not a problem if caught early enough. However, women who don't plan well aren't likely to catch things in time, either.