PDA

View Full Version : Flaming cat lights up B.C. environment minister's Earth Hour

Gingersnap
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Flaming cat lights up B.C. environment minister's Earth Hour

By Rob Shaw, Victoria Times ColonistMarch 29, 2010

B.C. environment minister Barry Penner's cat, Ranger, caught fire from one of the candles lit for Earth Day. He wasn't injured.Photograph by: Courtesy, Barry PennerVICTORIA B.C. Environment Minister Barry Penner was hoping to spark a little romance with his wife over a candlelit dinner Saturday during Earth Hour.

Instead, he accidentally set his cat on fire.

Penner, who had been urging British Columbians to forgo electricity during the annual conservation event, took his own advice and lit numerous candles for the night.

"We actually enjoyed a very romantic candlelit dinner that was only interrupted when our cat set himself on fire by brushing up against the flame, which caused some excitement," Penner deadpanned to reporters Monday.

"But we quickly got our cat, whose name is Ranger, under control. His hair is a little bit singed and his pride is somewhat affected. It will be a night that we'll remember for a long time."

The environment minister held firm to the no-electricity rule by refusing to power-up an electric fan to clear the room of the smell of singed cat hair. Instead, he opened the window. The cat wasn't hurt.

"I thought he'd have a natural aversion to flame, but apparently that's not the case," said Penner.

The near-loss of Penner's beloved cat marked an otherwise uneventful Earth Hour for British Columbia.

The province's electricity load dropped only 1.04 per cent, the smallest decrease in the three years since B.C. has participated in the global event.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/enviro+minister+Earth+Hour+candles+aflame/2740701/story.html#ixzz0jgiJv7SD

Moon
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Burning candles and sending crap into the air is somehow better than light bulbs? Not to mention the trauma the cat suffered!

Gingersnap
03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Burning candles and sending crap into the air is somehow better than light bulbs? Not to mention the trauma the cat suffered!

I just wish I'd known when it was. I would have fired up the BBQ and turned on the flood lights. :)

Moon
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I just wish I'd known when it was. I would have fired up the BBQ and turned on the flood lights. :)

Heck, I'd have torched a cat to show my solidarity with the Canadians! :p

linda22003
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
A cat setting himself on fire. My day is complete. :D

lacarnut
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
If that is not the "Cats Meow". :eek:

RobJohnson
03-30-2010, 11:17 PM

My place of business refused to participate. Why do we want to look like we are closed, when we are open. Why would we want a dark parking lot, not very safe. The local Girl Scouts were going around trying to get businesses to participate. The troop was trying for some presidential level award. The leaders actually thought they were saving the planet. Dumb asses.

I rec'd a text message telling me about a candlelight vigual for Earth Hour, it reminded me to flush my toliet 100 times and my central a/c and space heater were in competition with each other, it was like dueling pianos!

Gingersnap
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I rec'd a text message telling me about a candlelight vigual for Earth Hour, it reminded me to flush my toliet 100 times and my central a/c and space heater were in competition with each other, it was like dueling pianos!

You're an environmental hero!