PDA

View Full Version : I've got a question about the possible effects of pot on a teenage brain

aka:PBS
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Duer 157099 (1000+ posts) Tue Mar-30-10 04:52 PM
Original message
I've got a question about the possible effects of pot on a teenage brain
I spent my teenage years stoned (the 70s). I mean daily. Beginning around age 13 or so up until 21. So, 8 full years stoned.

Now that I have a teen who is experimenting, much to my disapproval, I am beginning to wonder if my own pot history has had a significant impact on my development, either physically (on my brain) or mentally/emotionally. I never really thought about this until I had to think about my own child possibly doing the same thing.

And if it does have an impact, what do you think it is? Does it make one more mellow throughout life? Or, does it do the opposite? And how does the effect differ for those who continue to use throughout adulthood vs. those who don't?

I'm thinking along the lines of state-dependent learning, which says that things we learn while our brains are in a certain state are easier to recall when the brain is back in that state.

This is just me thinking outloud right now, because I don't have any well formed ideas yet, it's all just question marks that I thought I'd bring here to see if anyone else has thought about it viz a viz their own experiences, or research they might know about, or whatever.

Don't misunderstand: this isn't about adults using pot, it's about teenagers. And I plan to vote in November for legalization in California, so this post isn't anti-pot.

So?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8054137

oh wow...this ought to be a good thread.:rolleyes:

Megaguns91
03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Had to throw in the bit about how he/she plans on approving pot for legal use so he/she doesn't get attacked by ravenous DUmmies.

Novaheart
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8054137

oh wow...this ought to be a good thread.:rolleyes:

I think that as a function of logic, one would have to conclude that he is better off without ANY added chemicals.

I started smoking pot when I was 15 and quit when I was 17, smoke again for awhile when I was about 24. In in the second trial, I was trying to use it as a sedative, but it didn't work that way. Now it annoys me and when my friends smokes it, I avoid him because it makes him dull, forgetful, and somewhat stupid. He doesn't believe that it has that effect. I am inclined to believe that it always had that effect and that it's only now that I recognize it as such.

Librium on the other hand, would be a perfect drug as close as I could design one. But I can see how access to it would be a bad thing for me. I think the bottom line is that you aren't supposed to feel fabulous all the time.

Defiant1
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I think that as a function of logic, one would have to conclude that he is better off without ANY added chemicals.

I started smoking pot when I was 15 and quit when I was 17, smoke again for awhile when I was about 24. In in the second trial, I was trying to use it as a sedative, but it didn't work that way. Now it annoys me and when my friends smokes it, I avoid him because it makes him dull, forgetful, and somewhat stupid. He doesn't believe that it has that effect. I am inclined to believe that it always had that effect and that it's only now that I recognize it as such.

Librium on the other hand, would be a perfect drug as close as I could design one. But I can see how access to it would be a bad thing for me. I think the bottom line is that you aren't supposed to feel fabulous all the time.

Hi. Have you switched teams?

BTW, I agree with you. I don't even take aspirin.

Dan D. Doty
03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
In the 70's, early 80's we use to call those guys BURNOUTS; dropped out of school, didn't get a job, had no respect for anyone, or themselves, some ended up in jail, some just vanished.

If you want that kind of life for your kid, great; just don't expect the rest of the world to support him when he wants to get stoned all day.

Megaguns91
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
If you want that kind of life for your kid, great; just don't expect the rest of the world to support him when he wants to get stoned all day.

Oh but that's exactly what DUmmies and liberals want. The ability to sponge off the "entitlements" that the current administration is attempting to construct.

patriot45
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
In the 70's, early 80's we use to call those guys BURNOUTS; dropped out of school, didn't get a job, had no respect for anyone, or themselves, some ended up in jail, some just vanished.

I don't knjow about that DDD! I've been smoking pot for 40 years! Yes 40 years, way back before hydro was the bomb and pot actually had names, like colombian gold or wowie mauie. Do not let it ruin you life and its all good! I raised 3 kids by myself, ran a business and now have 3 grandkids and 3 kids who are well adjusted!

Its not for everybody for sure, but it never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to accomplish!

I will admit that now all I need is basically one or two hits right before a good movie and I am happy!:D

Flame out!

Dan D. Doty
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't knjow about that DDD! I've been smoking pot for 40 years! Yes 40 years, way back before hydro was the bomb and pot actually had names, like colombian gold or wowie mauie. Do not let it ruin you life and its all good! I raised 3 kids by myself, ran a business and now have 3 grandkids and 3 kids who are well adjusted!

Its not for everybody for sure, but it never stopped me from doing anything I wanted to accomplish!

I will admit that now all I need is basically one or two hits right before a good movie and I am happy!:D

Flame out!

But Pat, you didn't sponge off anyone.

I've seen too many people around these parts live their lives as full time pot-heads, beer-heads , meth-heads, huffers, and everyone dork that drank gasoline.

And don't forget Toledo Windowbox.

patriot45
03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
But Pat, you didn't sponge off anyone.

I've seen too many people around these parts live their lives as full time pot-heads, beer-heads , meth-heads, huffers, and everyone dork that drank gasoline.

And don't forget Toledo Windowbox.

You are right, it didn't run my life. It was just a vice! I hafta admit I like vodka way more than pot!!! :D

noonwitch
03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't know-most teens I worked with who got in trouble for pot usually had other issues. Smart kids who smoke pot don't get caught and hide it well from their parents and teachers. Even if it's legal, it will be legal like alcohol, and those under 21 who use it better make sure they don't get caught.