PDA

View Full Version : Texas Muslims Want Diplomas Sans “Our Lord”

PoliCon
03-30-2010, 11:22 PM
A group of Muslim students at Trinity University in Texas are arguing their diplomas should have the words “our Lord” dropped to reflect the “diversity” of college life.

“A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly display it in their offices and homes,” said Sidra Qureshi, a Muslim student and president of Trinity Diversity Connection, who is leading the charge to tweak the wording.

“By having the phrase In the Year of Our Lord,’ it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and not everyone believes in Jesus Christ.”

Qureshi successfully argued for the change with student government and now University trustees are expected to address the issue in May.

The debate started last year when Isaac Medina, a Muslim convert from Mexico, noticed the wording on pre-made diploma frames.

“I honestly feel like nobody actually noticed it before,” Medina said. “Now that it has been brought up, the institution is trying to find its own identity. Are we or are we not a religious institution?”

When Medina applied to Trinity, university staff told him it wasn’t a religious institution and that it maintained only a historical bond to the church. He said he’d always felt welcome at Trinity, where the campus chaplain caters to students of all religions and the university recently dedicated a Muslim prayer space.

So the reference on the diploma “came as a big surprise,” said Medina, who graduated in December. “I felt I was a victim of a bait and switch.”

The school’s president and other students defend the wording, saying the school’s Presbyterian roots are appropriate and unobtrusive. Founded in 1869, Trinity has been governed by an independent board of trustees since 1969 but maintains a “covenant relationship” with the church.
CONTINUED (http://www.therightperspective.org/2010/03/29/texas-muslims-want-diplomas-sans-our-lord/)

Articulate_Ape
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh, for crying out loud!

Speedy
03-31-2010, 12:12 AM
How much money comes from Christian donors and boosters and how much comes from poopyhead Muslims?

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:17 AM
After 9/11 our government should have done things that we would all later be ashamed of. We would have gotten over our shame and they would have learned some respect as to who not to screw with!

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
I would not have been ashamed!

Profile the bastards for what they are! How diverse do we have to be? Foget that, 30 years ago there wasn't even a word for diversity, now its bow to diversity! Eat me!

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 01:02 AM
I would not have been ashamed!

Profile the bastards for what they are! How diverse do we have to be? Foget that, 30 years ago there wasn't even a word for diversity, now its bow to diversity! Eat me!
I was beating around the Bush.

NJCardFan
03-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Trinity University. Trinity. As in The Father, SON, and Holy Ghost. Trinity as in the cornerstone to the Christian faith. Trinity University, a university founded by the Presbyterian church. Am I missing the stupidity of their argument here? This is one Christian based university that is the most accepting of all faiths and this little piece of semantics is upsetting the apple cart. Well next time go to an Islamic university.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-31-2010, 03:54 AM
After 9/11 our government should have done things that we would all later be ashamed of. We would have gotten over our shame and they would have learned some respect as to who not to screw with!

What exactly should we have done?

noonwitch
03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Trinity University. Trinity. As in The Father, SON, and Holy Ghost. Trinity as in the cornerstone to the Christian faith. Trinity University, a university founded by the Presbyterian church. Am I missing the stupidity of their argument here? This is one Christian based university that is the most accepting of all faiths and this little piece of semantics is upsetting the apple cart. Well next time go to an Islamic university.

If they were at U Texas, they'd have a point.

I doubt anyone is in any doubt that a school named Trinity University is a secular institution.

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't get it. "Year of our Lord" is offensive but "Trinity" isn't? :confused:

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
They need to shut their traps and take the damned diplomas or transfer their credits to a non-Christian college.

Sonnabend
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
What exactly should we have done?

Start profiling, especially at airports
Take the gloves off.
Publically execute terrorists.
Teach those that attack us what the word "ruthless" means.

Oderint dum metuant.

FlaGator
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Why don't they just replace Year of our Lord with Anno Domini ;)

Novaheart
03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
If they were at U Texas, they'd have a point.

I doubt anyone is in any doubt that a school named Trinity University is a secular institution.

I disagree. While "in the year of our Lord" might be arcane, an artifact of a less secular time, or even a deliberately retained formality it has already been established that such utterances are "ceremonial speech" and are not specifically religious.

This is the camel's nose entering the tent. As others have pointed out, it's "trinity" college. What next? San Antonio offends my Moslem sensibilities? Well, I'll tell you this: I am sick of ALL religion and would like to see it ALL wiped from the public consciousness. Unfortunately, that's not my call. But as of today, I still have the right under the US Constitution to say, "To hell with muzzies, I don't care what they want." To which I would add, "If Mexico doesn't put a stop to that Muslim evangelism they are going to have some serious problems."

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Take the gloves off.

Oderint dum metuant.

Precisely!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM

Take the gloves off.

Oderint dum metuant.

The other 3 things I can agree with. I think we should follow George Carlin's idea when it comes to public executions.

But the first..There's so many European and Arabic (non-Muslim) people who look like Muslims that we'd most of the time probably be profiling the wrong people. What criteria would you go on to profile people?

For example..My father is half Italian and Irish, not one drop of Arabic or Middle Eastern blood, but he bears a striking (especially when he had a big mustache in the 70s and 80s) resemblance to Saddam Hussein, with the jowls, skin tone and thick eyebrows of a Middle Eastern man. My grandfather, who is Italian, is dark dark skinned and facially looks like Stalin without a mustache.

Or my friend. She's Syrian but Catholic, and of course, she looks Syrian but she was raised here as a Catholic and her family loves America. Same with some other friends of mine who are either Arabic or half Arabic etc. One friend I know whose family are Muslims, her family hates Ahmindajob and Bin Laden.

PoliCon
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM

that crossed my mind as well.

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM

The morons probably think they're in the Matrix.

Speedy
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
But the first..There's so many European and Arabic (non-Muslim) people who look like Muslims that we'd most of the time probably be profiling the wrong people. What criteria would you go on to profile people?

Well. you start with the ones who have been responsible for terror attacks. If we had stuck to profiling Arabs and African Muslims most attacks would have been thwarted.

Sonnabend
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
The other 3 things I can agree with. I think we should follow George Carlin's idea when it comes to public executions.

Easy. Let Granny Mae, 82, a US citizen, through and dont bother her, take Abu Bin Bum Fuk and his wife Fatima Fatass and put him and her through the wringer.

For example..My father is half Italian and Irish, not one drop of Arabic or Middle Eastern blood, but he bears a striking (especially when he had a big mustache in the 70s and 80s) resemblance to Saddam Hussein, with the jowls, skin tone and thick eyebrows of a Middle Eastern man.

You're missing the point.

My grandfather, who is Italian, is dark dark skinned and facially looks like Stalin without a mustache.

So he looks like your hero?

Or my friend. She's Syrian but Catholic, and of course, she looks Syrian but she was raised here as a Catholic and her family loves America. Same with some other friends of mine who are either Arabic or half Arabic etc. One friend I know whose family are Muslims, her family hates Ahmindajob and Bin Laden.

Don't care. Muslim = profile = body scanner and luiggage check, plus no-fly list check.

NJCardFan
04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
The morons probably think they're in the Matrix.

Which was a movie ripe with religious symbolism. Trinity, Nebuchadnezzar, Zion, Neo being The One...

Elspeth
04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
A little white out should work. They can do it themselves. Don't know if it will invalidate the diploma, but they can take that chance for a sacred act.

Kay
04-01-2010, 12:50 AM
This is so stupid. I wish for once the institution (in this case Trinity) would come out with an immediate public statement simply saying "not no, but hell no we won't change it. Take it as is or hit the road without it."

fettpett
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
o good greif...If it wasn't a Chirstian School i'd just kick them out.

BUT since it is, just tell them, you chose to come to this school, we are not chanigng just for you. don't like it, i'm sorry, find another school to graduate from

Apache
04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
This is so stupid. I wish for once the institution (in this case Trinity) would come out with an immediate public statement simply saying "not no, but hell no we won't change it. Take it as is or hit the road without it."

Winnah!