PDA

View Full Version : I am probably going to catch hell for this, but...

Articulate_Ape
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Am I the only one that wished that my fellow Americans whole cannot speak their native tongue refrain from showing up at our rallies with signs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pargon/sets/72157623594187379/)?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2696/4468908929_f8e9d948b2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2716/4469683458_e9785cd809.jpg

I know that emotions are high and everyone makes typos (even us articulate primates), but damn, I have to say that while it doesn't detract from the core message(s), it definitely tends to define the messenger(s). Spell check, people! Then carry on.

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
You are a dick to think that we would agree with you. You want to speak english and mis-spell at the same time. Your true colors do come out, don't they!
Or are you making fun at people who mean well but can't spell!?!

Articulate better you ape.

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:06 AM
For 25 years all I ever had to write was my name on my time card and sign checks. I used my math skills constantly as a machinist and toolmaker. I never looked down on people because they had little knowledge of trigonometry and geometry. I know this may not be your intent to look down on people but until the personal computer age many of us used our literary skills so little we almost lost them altogether. I am not offended by this thread, I just want you to know there are always two sides to everything.

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
You are a dick to think that we would agree with you. You want to speak english and mis-spell at the same time. Your true colors do come out, don't they!
Or are you making fun at people who mean well but can't spell!?!

Articulate better you ape.

That would be "fun of" I believe, but spank me and call be Gertrude, I probably deserve it.

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Your ass still looks fat!

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:12 AM
That would be "fun of" I believe, but spank me and call be Gertrude, I probably deserve it.

I thouhgt it was.... Beat me, spank me but don't call me Edna!
:D

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Your ass still looks fat!
It's very comfortable to sit on and it smells like ham!:D

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
For 25 years all I ever had to write was my name on my time card and sign checks. I used my math skills constantly as a machinist and toolmaker. I never looked down on people because they had little knowledge of trigonometry and geometry. I know this may not be your intent to look down on people but until the personal computer age many of us used our literary skills so little we almost lost them altogether. I am not offended by this thread, I just want you to know there are always two sides to everything.

Let me be clear. I do NOT look down on anyone, period. I do, however, think that language is important in a) conveying the desired message and b) doing so in a way that does not allow opponents of that message to detract from it because of the manner in which it is expressed.

I knew I would catch hell for this thread, and that's ok. I think serious times call for serious people, and serious people own dictionaries. Language matters. It can be an arrow or it can be an Achilles' heel. That's all I'm saying.

Thank you sir, may I have another.

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Let me be clear. I do NOT look down on anyone, period. I do, however, think that language is important in a) conveying the desired message and b) doing so in a way that does not allow opponents of that message to detract from it because of the manner in which it is expressed.

I knew I would catch hell for this thread, and that's ok. I think serious times call for serious people, and serious people own dictionaries. Language matters. It can be an arrow or it can be an Achilles' heel. That's all I'm saying.

Thank you sir, may I have another.
I know what your point was and there is always someone out there to proof read a sign for you or if you have a computer, spell check. A lot of people only communicate verbally and unfortunately here you are only preaching to the choir.

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
So you were proving a point!?!
We are not as articulate as you would like?
Yes you deserve hell for this.

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:30 AM
One of the upper levels and maybe just a warning visit. I mean at least he didn't go all ape shit over it

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 12:30 AM

You fail at haiku.

Rockntractor
03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
You fail at haiku.

But he is good with chicken!

Articulate_Ape
One of the upper levels and maybe just a warning visit. I mean at least he didn't go all ape shit over it

You don't scare me, you swine. I have dealt with badder cats than you, mister man.

patriot45
You fail at haiku.

Roses are red
violets are blue
fuck you

Better?

Articulate_Ape
But he is good with chicken!

On that I must agree.

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Roses are red
violets are blue
fuck you

Better?

Your skills at haiku,
Unfortunately won't do,
So you have fucked you.

:)

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
my haiku skills suck
that i know
so now what i'll do is call
....rochambeau !

Articulate_Ape
03-31-2010, 12:53 AM
my haiku skills suck
that i know
so now what i'll do is call
....rochambeau !

Haiku is easy,
If you're not a total twat.
It's poem barbecue.

patriot45
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Haiku is easy,
If you're not a total twat.
It's poem barbecue.

If you accept
I go first
rochambeau
you're outa your depth.

NJCardFan
03-31-2010, 12:57 AM
To quote Archie Bunker:

Nobody who can't speak no good English should get the hell out!

PoliCon
03-31-2010, 03:12 AM
To quote Archie Bunker:

Nobody who can't speak no good English should get the hell out!

QFT!:D

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
*sigh*

I do wish there was some way to proof these signs but I don't see how that would work. Liberals also mangle the language on signs but the media tends to avoid calling attention to these errors. Let somebody on the right misplace a semi-colon though, and there's hell to pay. :(

noonwitch
03-31-2010, 09:57 AM
The sign about speaking english is hilarious.

The other one was a vet who made a punctuation error.