PDA

View Full Version : Behar Claims Liberals More Intelligent and Open-Minded Than Conservatives

PoliCon
03-31-2010, 03:16 AM
By Alex Fitzsimmons

The latest edition of CBS’s “Sunday Morning” featured a glowing profile of “The View” co-host Joy Behar in which the stand-up comic implied that conservatives are not intelligent and insisted that liberals are more open-minded.

Interviewer Russ Mitchell asked Behar how she developed a liberal worldview, to which Behar responded: “It comes from, uh, being smart.”

Mitchell then pressed Behar on how her conservative co-host on “The View,” Elisabeth Hasselbeck, would respond to that statement.
Story Continues Below Ad ↓
“Listen, I have my prejudices, you know, too,” she said. “I think that people who are liberal are more open-minded. That's all. I just believe that. You know, you can argue with that all you want—you can say, ‘Oh, conservative people are open-minded,’ and I don't agree with that. I don't.”

It’s ironic that someone who claims to be so open-minded could not come up with a more thoughtful answer on the source of her liberal proclivities. What’s more, it’s ironic that someone who claims to be so open-minded would promote closed-minded stereotypes to characterize conservatives.

A partial transcript of the profile, which aired on “CBS News Sunday Morning” on 3/28/10 at 10:08 am, can be found below:

RUSS MITCHELL, CBS News anchor: Where did this liberal streak come from?

JOY BEHAR: It comes from, uh, being smart.

MITCHELL: What would Elizabeth [Hasselbeck, “The View” co-host] say to that?

BEHAR: Listen, I have my prejudices, you know, too. I think that people who are liberal are more open-minded. That's all. I just believe that. You know, you can argue with that all you want—you can say, ‘Oh, conservative people are open-minded,’ and I don't agree with that. I don't.

MITCHELL: While Behar is the first to admit she's a comic and not a legitimate journalist, in 2008 when presidential candidate John McCain joined the co-hosts of the “The View,” Behar wasn't shy about asking him some tough questions.

--Alex Fitzsimmons is a News Analysis intern at the Media Research Center. Click here to follow him on Twitter.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/alex-fitzsimmons/2010/03/30/behar-claims-liberals-more-intelligent-and-open-minded-conservativ

dixierat
03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
She obviously has clouded her judgement by the desire to be correct. I know a lot of liberals who are as close minded as any of the hard core right wing conservatives I've known. IMO, liberals tend to base their opinions on feelings rather than logic while most conservatives base their opinions on logic.

The recent HCR is a prime example of this.The Dems based the entire HCR package on feel good stuff. Totally ignoring the logic that the package is unaffordable as written. It is also unconstitutional as written, but that has never stopped wither party from doing what they could to incrase the power and scope of the Federal Goveernment.

Bottom line is: Behar should stick to comedy.

:cool:

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, to take any of this seriously, you would have to believe that "smartness" automatically produced certain political affiliations. That's obviously wrong since there are brilliant advocates of all political shades.

You'd also have to believe that "open-mindedness" was a virtue. While the ability to consider contra-arguments and understand their basis is necessary to understanding your own, that's probably not what the comic meant. The comic probably means that the ability to consider various assertions equally true and equally important is a virtue.

FlaGator
03-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Someone should send her the link to DU, that should help to clarify her point of view.

PoliCon
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Like most leftists - no matter what evidence you show her to the contrary - she's gonna stick to her narrative because the narrative is more important than the facts.