PDA

View Full Version : Climate-Gate Inquiry Largely Clears Scientists

FlaGator
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Because I have to be fair to wilbur..

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/31/climate-gate-inquiry-largely-clears-scientists/

Sorry it's an AP story so I can't reproduce the text. You have to go to FOXNews and read it yourself.

Sonnabend
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
The committee said that climate scientists had to be much more open in future -- for example by publishing all their data, including raw data and the software programs used to interpret them, to the Internet. Willis said there was far too much money at stake not to be completely transparent.

...the raw data that has been destroyed, that is. I'd also like to see copies of the information that was deleted to avoid FOI requests.

Subject: Fwd: CCNet: PRESSURE GROWING ON CONTROVERSIAL RESEARCHER TO DISCLOSE SECRET DATA
Date: Mon Feb 21 16:28:32 2005
Cc: “raymond s. bradley” , “Malcolm Hughes” Mike, Ray and Malcolm,
The skeptics seem to be building up a head of steam here ! Maybe we can use this to our advantage to get the series updated !

Odd idea to update the proxies with satellite estimates of the lower troposphere rather than surface data !. Odder still that they don’t realise that Moberg et al used the Jones and Moberg updated series !

Francis Zwiers is till onside. He said that PC1s produce hockey sticks. He stressed that the late 20th century is the warmest of the millennium, but Regaldo didn’t bother
with that. Also ignored Francis’ comment about all the other series looking similar to MBH.

The IPCC comes in for a lot of stick. Leave it to you to delete as appropriate !
Cheers

Phil

PS I’m getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act !

Yeah, an ethical scientist at work :rolleyes:

wilbur
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh I love the strained and begrudging admission immediately followed by "... but only after a one day probe!!" addendum. Classy.

And of course, they have to include a rebuttal from oil industry weasel climate- amateur, McIntyre - as if he's got some expertise on the matter

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh I love the strained and begrudging admission immediately followed by "... but only after a one day probe!!" addendum. Classy.

And of course, they have to include a rebuttal from oil industry weasel climate- amateur, McIntyre - as if he's got some expertise on the matter

Wilbur I will make sure that I make an extra small eco footprint today just for you. I went to starbucks in my gas saving car. And got a recycled cup. I didn't recycle my recycled cup, though. Progress is progress. :p

FlaGator
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM

I posted this, but I do wonder how they managed to come to this conclusion after only one hour of deliberation considering the amount of information they had to review. It kind of reeks of a dog and pony show for the media and something that warmers can hang their hat on.

Sonnabend
03-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Yeah yeah, "big oil", we've heard it before, it's bullshit and you know it.

Lager
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Is he a weasel simply because he works in the oil industry, or for some other reason? Are all oil executives considered weasels? and if so, why is that?

Sonnabend
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Phil Willis, the committee’s chairman, said of the e-mails that “there’s no denying that some of them were pretty appalling.” But the committee found no evidence of anything beyond ”a blunt refusal to share data,” adding that the idea that Jones was part of a conspiracy to hide evidence that weakened the case for global warming was clearly wrong…

The committee expressed sympathy with [Climate Research Unit head Phil] Jones, whom Willis said had been made a scapegoat for larger problems within the climate science community… But the lawmakers did criticize the way Jones and his colleagues handled freedom of information requests, saying scientists could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by aggressively publishing all their data instead of worrying about how to stonewall their critics.

Lawmakers stressed that their report—which was written after only a single day of oral testimony—did not cover all the issues…

Willis said the lawmakers had been in a rush to publish something before Britain’s next national election, which is widely expected in just over a month’s time.

“Clearly we would have liked to spend more time of this,” he said, before adding jokingly: “We had to get something out before we were sent packing.”

One day of testimony...riiiiiight, this was a thorough investigation.....:rolleyes:

PoliCon
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
One day of testimony...riiiiiight, this was a thorough investigation.....:rolleyes:

I'll bet that Dennis Kook-sinich got probed more thoroughly the last time he was on the alien mothership. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Then you should love the lying Prof. Jones who has been discredited and resigned. The part I like is that the commission did not want to question this fraud in his fragile condition. Classy.

It sure sucks to be a Env. wacko that gets caught making shit up.