PDA

View Full Version : Meet the kitchenistas

bijou
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
After a hard night on her feet as the manager of a busy downtown restaurant, Bari Musacchio heads to her NoLIta studio apartment, hangs up her coat, takes off her shoes — and puts them in her refrigerator.

“I have one closet, and things were overflowing, so I started putting shoes in the fridge,” says the fashionable 26-year-old, whose wardrobe is heavy on the black and consists mostly of skinny jeans and blazers.

“And then I moved on to my cabinets, where I now store my seasonal clothes — sweaters in the summer, T-shirts in the winter.”

Musacchio is not alone. Once a New York urban legend — like crocodiles in the sewers or the rent-controlled apartment with a view — people who store sweaters in their ovens do actually exist.

In a town where square footage is at a premium, closet space is coveted.

Takeout culture has made cooking at home practically obsolete for some people, which means that more New Yorkers are discovering that their kitchens are teeming with underused nooks and crannies — namely refrigerators, ovens and cabinets — ideal for storing their cashmere sweaters and knee-high boots.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/fashion/the_kitchen_is_my_closet_wR2GAtwboSO9f8W16mnC8K#ix zz0jmRmbLRx

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM
At least these hipsters aren't using food stamps to buy and cook free-range organic chickens. :rolleyes:

bijou
03-31-2010, 02:37 PM
At least these hipsters aren't using food stamps to buy and cook free-range organic chickens. :rolleyes:

No, though if they did it would have an aftertaste of charred denim. :D

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 02:39 PM
No, though if they did it would have an aftertaste of charred denim. :D

And 10 minutes later one of them would be selling 'Essence of Levis' to Food Network trend slaves.

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I heard somewhere for free-range chickens to be considered free range all the farmers have to do is open the doors to their cages for 15 mins a day. The chickens don't even have to leave their cage.

Also, I would like to write a book called "If you feed a liberal wild turkey." Or something along those lines. I could become an epic children's author. :D

But in all seriousness, I have to agree with Ginger. At least no food stamps and commie granola hippy transcendalism that mades me want the Thoreau up all over the Walden.