PDA

View Full Version : ObamaCare: A Fairy Tale – or How the Gay Community Lost Its Magic Power

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
ObamaCare: A Fairy Tale – or How the Gay Community Lost Its Magic Power

by Charles Winecoff

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away – called New York City – there was a special place where fairies could go when they weren’t feeling well. It was known as the Gay Men’s Health Project. The friendly bears and slender youths who ran this magical dispensary helped unlucky fairies mend their wings and wee-wees so they could get back to working through their issues and flit off to the nearest after-hours disco, bath house, abandoned truck or dilapidated pier.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qxahpv.jpg

Because they knew the empire wasn’t going to do it for them, the handsome lords and lads of Greenwich Village worked in unison to take care of their own kind. An invisible tribe that blended easily into the population at large, they understood that the heterosexist king’s medicine men were not attuned to their unique needs; they did not want uncaring jesters from the court making choices about their bodies. So the fairies raised their voices as loud as they could to make sure they had access to like-minded, sympathetic healers who would not make them feel ashamed of their behavior (and would get them back on the dance floor ASAP).

Then, in the year of eight tens and two, the fairies began to wither by the thousands and fall from the sky. No one knew why. So those who were still of able body came together again to build a new safe haven specifically for their sick brothers: a non-profit service organization called the Gay Men’s Health Crisis. Thanks to the actions and determination of these bold heroes, GMHC succeeded in providing legal aid, counseling, and even some housing to 15,000 fellows affected by HIV and AIDS.

But the elders, led by the prophet Larry Kramer, soon became weary of doing all the work themselves. They wanted support from the royal court. So they amassed an army specifically to agitate and create awareness of the needs of their ailing brethren. They called their legion of troops ACT UP, and their motto was SILENCE = DEATH.

The warrior fairies did not trust the king and queen, who hailed from a make-believe place called Hollywood. Even though there were many fairies in Hollywood, the elders imagined that the king, whose name was marked by a malevolent ”R,” would round up their infected friends and lock them in concentration camps. The fairies only trusted royals whose names boasted a benevolent ”D.”

So fearing the worst, they paid no heed to the warnings of their own shamans. Instead, they fought to protect their underground turf from the imaginary menace of the “R” invaders by keeping their fairy-only, non-reproductive recreation centers open. Thousands more fairies fell from the sky.

Time passed. Powerful potions were eventually conjured up to keep infected fairies healthy and alive. Kings began to grant them audiences, and the peasantry as a whole became more accepting of their existence, and appreciative of their hard history. The fairies were celebrated and honored for the injustices they endured. The peasantry took extra care to be more tolerant of fairy feelings.

But the fairies couldn’t reciprocate. They didn’t know how to trust or to let down their guard. They had become addicted to attention, self-pity, and anger.

When the two mighty towers were destroyed by flying far-right religious trolls, who had a blood-soaked and homophobic history, the new king took fierce action to prevent any further attacks. But because this king also sported an “R’ after his name (and wore a cowboy hat), the fairies felt it was against their religion (D-ism) to support his efforts.

Read the whole thing - it's really good.

Big Government (http://biggovernment.com/cwinecoff/2010/03/31/obamacare-a-fairy-tale-or-how-the-gay-community-lost-its-magic-power/)

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Indeed. It's got just that right amount of homophobia to make worried conservatives feel safe in their own sexuality.

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Indeed. It's got just that right amount of homophobia to make worried conservatives feel safe in their own sexuality.

Did you read the piece? If you had, you would see that this is warning shot fired across the bow of every special interest group who mistakes Democrat involvement with Democrat interest.

The point of this piece is that one special interest group who felt very secure in promoting this administration into power is likely to lose power themselves as broader policies conflict with their traditional agendas.

Trust me, if I had posted an inflammatory gay-bashing story involving fairies, you'd be reading about it in the Lounge.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Did you read the piece? If you had, you would see that this is warning shot fired across the bow of every special interest group who mistakes Democrat involvement with Democrat interest.

The point of this piece is that one special interest group who felt very secure in promoting this administration into power is likely to lose power themselves as broader policies conflict with their traditional agendas.

Trust me, if I had posted an inflammatory gay-bashing story involving fairies, you'd be reading about it in the Lounge.

I did read the piece and it very cleverly slams gays--from the ''abandoned trucks, bath houses'' comments to referring them as ''fairies'', and AIDS making the ''fairies fall'' it just seems a rather hatefully written piece.

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I did read the piece and it very cleverly slams gays--from the ''abandoned trucks, bath houses'' comments to referring them as ''fairies'', and AIDS making the ''fairies fall'' it just seems a rather hatefully written piece.

You'll learn to suck it up and deal with it someday I'm sure. I had someone call me an inbred hick yesterday. That someone happened to be a liberal retard, much like you, that was preeching open-mindedness just the day before.

And I'll reciprocate what I've said before:

I'm not afraid of gay people.
I just don't like a lot of them.

If us not liking the GLTB movement is suddenly a fear, then liberals not liking every. single. issue. that conservatives support should be logicaphobia. ;)

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM

That's not why I posted it. I posted it because it makes an essential point that should be of keen interest to any member of any special interest group: your (our) previous utility in political power plays has probably run it's course in an era of command and control bureaucracy.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
You'll learn to suck it up and deal with it someday I'm sure. I had someone call me an inbred hick yesterday. That someone happened to be a liberal retard, much like you, that was preeching open-mindedness just the day before.

And I'll reciprocate what I've said before:

I'm not afraid of gay people.
I just don't like a lot of them.

If us not liking the GLTB movement is suddenly a fear, then liberals not liking every. single. issue. that conservatives support should be logicaphobia. ;)

Liberal retard? Well, for one, I'm not a liberal, and secondly having an IQ of 130 hardly makes someone a retard.

And why don't you like gay people? They can be pretty funny folks. Or talented. Just listen to Elton and Freddie Mercury (though he was bisexual) if you want proof.

Why dislike the GLTB movement? Why not just live and let live, in this case? And you'd be surprised where liberals and conservatives meet on some issues.

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Liberal retard? Well, for one, I'm not a liberal, and secondly having an IQ of 130 hardly makes someone a retard.

And why don't you like gay people? They can be pretty funny folks. Or talented. Just listen to Elton and Freddie Mercury (though he was bisexual) if you want proof.

Why dislike the GLTB movement? Why not just live and let live, in this case? And you'd be surprised where liberals and conservatives meet on some issues.

Well I apologize then, you non-liberal citizen with an IQ of 130.

As for me not liking MOST gay people, that's my personal right and I have my reasons. My very best friend in the whole world is gay. But for the most part, 99 percent of gay people that I meet let their sexual preferences persuade their political preferences without just cause. My gay friend is 100 percent conservative. She and her partner have lectured many a gay liberal on why gay marriage would only hurt our economy. They leave politics out of their personal life, and I commend them on it.

And I dislike the GLTB movement because it supposedly is to "support" the GLTB community but in most cases, like the WBC controversy with the deceased veteran, attempts to slam "sexual equality" down people's throats. I don't see an all "straight" support group picketing outside a funeral for an HIV victim.

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Let's start a new thread about whether or not "gay people" are enough of unified group that we can have favorable or unfavorable opinions of them outside of traditional moral contexts.

Let's get back to the effect that various very broad policies out of Washington will have on various special interest groups such as women, blacks, gays, and others who were part of previous power structure.

Megaguns91
03-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Let's start a new thread about whether or not "gay people" are enough of unified group that we can have favorable or unfavorable opinions of them outside of traditional moral contexts.

Let's get back to the effect that various very broad policies out of Washington will have on various special interest groups such as women, blacks, gays, and others who were part of previous power structure.

I think it'll end up being a giant powergrab for supposed "equality" in which individualism and disagreement will be met and smashed with an iron fist.

Speedy
03-31-2010, 06:28 PM
That piece was so...GAY!

CueSi
03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
That piece was so...GAY!

Probably because it's author, Charles Winecoff, is as gay as a three dollar bill. And a known smartass... "They believed Lady Gaga was forever." - - DED.

And he's relatively Conservative.

Which is what makes Caught in the Middle's posts made of fail,lol, and dumb. As opposed to Winecoff, who is made of gay, smartass, and snark. :)

~QC

Gingersnap
03-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Probably because it's author, Charles Winecoff, is as gay as a three dollar bill. And a known smartass... "They believed Lady Gaga was forever." - - DED.

And he's relatively Conservative.

Which is what makes Caught in the Middle's posts made of fail,lol, and dumb. As opposed to Winecoff, who is made of gay, smartass, and snark. :)

~QC

LOL! Which is why paying attention to my point (and his) would have been the smart choice. ;)

Wei Wu Wei
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Absolutely.

This is exactly what more people need to be doing.