PDA

View Full Version : Officers Accused Of Using Taser On 10-Year-Old

djones520
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Two Martinsville police officers have been suspended after they were accused of using a Taser to subdue a 10-year-old.

A news release from the mayor's office and the Martinsville Police Department said the officers responded Tuesday evening to Tender Teddies Day Care on reports of a 10-year-old who was out of control.

The release said that the officers, trying to prevent the child from hurting other children, staff members and himself, slapped the boy and then used a Taser to subdue him.

"While the department will not condone the unnecessary treatment of any subject, regardless of age, in any apprehension situation, additional comments will not be made pending results of the final investigation," the release read.

The day care's owner, Heath Lancaster, did not want to comment on the case, saying only that it was in the hands of the Department of Child Services and police.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23017669/detail.html

While I can't condone this, reading the story and hearing about what that kid was like, maybe he needed this.

Apache
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23017669/detail.html

While I can't condone this, reading the story and hearing about what that kid was like, maybe he needed this.

If it's the little puke I'm thinking it is, good on the cops! That little shit has had this coming for a long time...

Sonnabend
04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Apache: clarify? You know him?

Apache
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Apache: clarify? You know him?

Yeah I think I might, I live 2 miles outside of Martinsville proper. I know where the daycare is from the story, now if it's the same little brat that that I've run into... he deserved every one of those 50,000 volts. He is disruptive, destructive, abusive, abrasive, rude and arrogant. He has cost his parents at least FIVE windshield replacements, this year alone!

Gingersnap
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm reserving judgment on this. When the police subdue adults, we all expect that the adult will probably get bruised, maybe badly bruised. Any bruise or mark on a child automatically gets reported to CPS if adults are involved.

If this kid was rampaging around (and a 10 year old can do some damage), the daycare operator had probably already contacted the parent(s) and gotten no help. She might have called the police in order to have a credible witness and to have the kid "officially" removed.

If the kid went crazy with the police, the officer might have kind of panicked. He knows he can't grab the kid as hard as he would grab an adult and he can't slam the kid into the floor. He might have tried the taser thinking that it was the lesser of all available evils. :(

NJCardFan
04-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Why is a 10 year old in day care? I mean, shouldn't he be, I dunno, in a real school?

Rockntractor
04-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Lurky, do you have a taser?:rolleyes::eek:

Speedy
04-02-2010, 01:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHwoRFe70jk&feature=related

djones520
04-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Why is a 10 year old in day care? I mean, shouldn't he be, I dunno, in a real school?

2nd line of the story. Tuesday evening. ;):p

NJCardFan
04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
2nd line of the story. Tuesday evening. ;):p
Still. Day Care? No wonder the kid acted up.

djones520
04-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Still. Day Care? No wonder the kid acted up.

At 10 my parents started leaving me home alone. Sounds to me like this kid needed to be supervised and had no business being left alone.

Wei Wu Wei
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Jesus this is ridiculous. The kid is 10 years old. I could subdue any 10 year old without the use of any weapons for the love of god just pin him down. It's very rare but tasers can kill people. These shouldn't even be used on adults as often as they are, and unless the kid had a weapon on him I can't see how this could ever be justified.,

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
At 10 my parents started leaving me home alone. Sounds to me like this kid needed to be supervised and had no business being left alone.

My older brother was 10 when our parents left us alone, with him in charge. It wasn't their best idea. I think my brother is still in therapy because he feels guilty for the things he did to me and my sister.
I think a good 10 year old can be responsible for himself for limited times alone in the house, but not for younger kids. That's too much pressure.

This is obviously a messed up kid. His parents need to get him into therapy quickly. I'm sure they will sue the cops, which will result in the kid learning that ultimately, his terrible behavior has paid off.

Apache
04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
My older brother was 10 when our parents left us alone, with him in charge. It wasn't their best idea. I think my brother is still in therapy because he feels guilty for the things he did to me and my sister.
I think a good 10 year old can be responsible for himself for limited times alone in the house, but not for younger kids. That's too much pressure.

This is obviously a messed up kid. His parents need to get him into therapy quickly. I'm sure they will sue the cops, which will result in the kid learning that ultimately, his terrible behavior has paid off.

Nope, his parents are fed up they're looking at making him a ward of the state...

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Nope, his parents are fed up they're looking at making him a ward of the state...

The parents are in a bind, especially if they have other children. If they ask the state to take this one, the state may decide to take them all. The troubled kid will likely be placed first in a foster home (because he is only 10). That won't last, he'll act up. Then he'll start the residential treatment phase, which may help if it's a good program, but will make him worse if it isn't. If he's put in a temporary shelter for kids, even for less than week, he's f@%#^$ for life. Bad things happen to little boys put in temporary shelters, unless they have a separate shelter for younger kids, to keep them from being in the same place as teenaged foster boys. If he's put in a psych hospital, well, he'll be taking Seroquel and will get fat.

I assume that they are looking at this from a foster care perspective rather than a delinquent one, which even though the kid is only 10, is probably more appropriate.