PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign: 'Pray for an Atheist' in April

FlaGator
04-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I've got my friend wilbur covered for this one. :D

A group of Christians, including a former atheist and a philosopher, have launched a new campaign that calls fellow believers to "pray for an atheist" beginning with April Fools' Day.

"We want you to select an atheist friend or relative and pray for them by name each day during the month of April, 2010 (and beyond!). It’s easy and could make an eternal difference for someone you love," the campaign states on its Facebook page.

Currently, "Pray for an Atheist" is purely a Facebook initiative and is designed to not only encourage Christians to pray for nonbelievers but also to become better equipped to share their faith in a respectful manner with atheists.

A number of atheists have expressed their strong objections to the idea of Christians praying for them, according to James S. Spiegel, author of The Making of an Atheist.

"I personally find it offensive if anybody wants to pray for me," Spiegel cited one as saying.

Other more profane and vulgar comments have been deleted.

So which atheist will you be praying for?

Whole store is here (http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100331/new-campaign-pray-for-an-atheist-in-april/index.html)

Apache
04-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I've got my friend wilbur covered for this one. :D

So which atheist will you be praying for?

Whole store is here (http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100331/new-campaign-pray-for-an-atheist-in-april/index.html)

Dr. Nuesom(sp?) could use some help...;)

djones520
04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't over exert yourself on my count. It doesn't offend me when people do it for the good will of it. But the second someone prays for my "salvation", well you can just save it.

CueSi
04-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Don't over exert yourself on my count. It doesn't offend me when people do it for the good will of it. But the second someone prays for my "salvation", well you can just save it.

I know you had some sorta situation a while ago, so I filed it under "General" . :p

~QC

FlaGator
04-01-2010, 04:51 PM

I pray for you and the rest of the people here that everyone has peace. How God chooses to provide that for you whether through salvation or lending a hand in a tough time is entirely up to Him. Besides, its my time to invest. :)

Rockntractor
04-01-2010, 11:06 PM

I pray you bring lots of ice cubes!:D

All they have is mountain Dew in hell.
Repent and be baptized!

lacarnut
04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I pray for you and the rest of the people here that everyone has peace. How God chooses to provide that for you whether through salvation or lending a hand in a tough time is entirely up to Him. Besides, its my time to invest. :)

I tell people that say they will pray for me....."I need all the help that I can get".......my mom prayed for me everyday of her life. I made it this far because of them.

djones520
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

And just to make sure I wasn't misunderstood, I appreciate such gestures. It does mean something to me that people care for my well being and express it in such a way, even if I believe it may be a futile effort ;).

I was just trying to make the point that I don't wan't "salvation" in the sense of finding god, and it offends me when people pray that I find it. I ask that everyone respects my belief as I respect theirs.