PDA

View Full Version : Charges against Sea Shepherd captain are bogus, say activists

Sonnabend
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/charges-against-sea-shepherd-captain-are-bogus-say-activists/story-e6frfku0-1225849009807

ANTI-whaling activist Captain Pete Bethune has been made a political prisoner in Japan with the laying of extra "bogus" charges against him, says the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. The New Zealander, in custody in Tokyo after illegally boarding a Japanese whaling vessel, the Shonan Maru No.2, was initially charged only with trespass after his arrest last month.

But the Japan Coast Guard has now laid four more charges of assault, illegal possession of a knife, destruction of property and obstruction of business.
Intention to assault captain of a foreign flag ship .Possession of a weapon when boarding a foreign flag ship in international waters. Guess what....carrying a knife under Japanese law is illegal :D

Destruction of property: he sliced a net apart.

He guilty :D

"These charges are bogus, and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society questions the credibility of the entire Japanese judicial system for entertaining such absurdities," Sea Shepherd's Jeff Hansen said in a statement. "Sea Shepherd expected Captain Bethune to face a trespassing charge; this does not come as a surprise. But all additional charges are being made for purely political reasons," Mr Hansen, the society's Australian director, said.And if Bethune was found on a Sydney street, carrying a knife, he'd be under arrest here too.

The charges against Pete Bethune, captain of the Ady Gil, relate to his boarding of the Shonan Maru in the Southern Ocean on February 15. Mr Hansen said Captain Bethune was aboard the Ady Gil when it was run over and literally cut in two by the Shonan Maru No. 2 on January 6. "Captain Bethune's response was to board that vessel at the next opportunity so he could confront face-to-face the captain responsible for this horrendous act," Mr Hansen said....without permission and in violation of both maritime and international law.

"This is an embarrassment to the Japanese criminal justice system, a further slap in the face to the international community and proof that Japan will continue to do what it wants regardless of international law or public opinion," he said.Yup...I WUV the Japanese. Not afraid to give environazis the finger

"Illegal whaling operations in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary and the detention of a political prisoner: these things clearly reflect the blatant abuse of and political corruption within Japan's domestic judicial system." The Japan Coast Guard alleged Captain Bethune injured some of the crew by throwing bottles of highly acidic chemicals at the Japanese ship but the Sea Shepherd group said the projectiles were rancid butter stink bombs.Not illegal. Japan didnt sign the sanctuary treaty. Tough.

Greens leader Senator Bob Brown also released a statement today saying it was unjust that Captain Bethune was facing up to 15 years in a Japanese jail. "It is Japanese whalers who should be facing charges under Australian law for endangering lives, not Sea Shepherd captain Pete Bethune," Senator Brown said.Go ahead and press charges...we could use a good laugh.

"It is absolutely unjust that Captain Pete Bethune is facing up to 15 years in prison in Japan." He said the Australian Federal Police were investigating an official complaint by Sea Shepherd over the ramming and sinking of the Ady Gil.He's right, it is unujust...make it thirty years :D

"Under Australian law the captain of the Shonan Maru 2 should be tried and face life imprisonment for his actions, which endangered the lives of six people," Senator Brown saidExcept he a/ wasnt in Australian waters./ b/ Bethune is responsible for the crash and c/ Brown is full of it.

Novaheart
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Intention to assault captain of a foreign flag ship .Possession of a weapon when boarding a foreign flag ship in international waters. Guess what....carrying a knife under Japanese law is illegal :D

Destruction of property: he sliced a net apart.

He guilty :D

And if Bethune was found on a Sydney street, carrying a knife, he'd be under arrest here too.

...without permission and in violation of both maritime and international law.

Yup...I WUV the Japanese. Not afraid to give environazis the finger

Not illegal. Japan didnt sign the sanctuary treaty. Tough.

Go ahead and press charges...we could use a good laugh.

He's right, it is unujust...make it thirty years :D

Except he a/ wasnt in Australian waters./ b/ Bethune is responsible for the crash and c/ Brown is full of it.

I would probably find most of these Sea Shepherd folks on a personal level to be insufferable hippies who need to be bitchslapped for a variety of reasons. However, I myself see absolutely no legitimate reason for ANYONE to be killing whales or polar bears (or baby harp seals) whether those doing the killing are Japanese or Eskimos.

djones520
04-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I would probably find most of these Sea Shepherd folks on a personal level to be insufferable hippies who need to be bitchslapped for a variety of reasons. However, I myself see absolutely no legitimate reason for ANYONE to be killing whales or polar bears (or baby harp seals) whether those doing the killing are Japanese or Eskimos.

And today there is no real need for me to go out and shoot a deer or two every fall. I still try to do it as often as I can though.

Sonnabend
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
However, I myself see absolutely no legitimate reason for ANYONE to be killing whales or polar bears (or baby harp seals) whether those doing the killing are Japanese or Eskimos.

And today there is no real need for me to go out and shoot a deer or two every fall. I still try to do it as often as I can though.

..and you don't see a disparity in these two comments? :confused: Japan has been whaling for centuries, is import dependent in a lot of areas, the whaling is small by comparison.

What they do in international waters is their business. Lunatics like Bethune are the problem.

djones520
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
..and you don't see a disparity in these two comments? :confused: Japan has been whaling for centuries, is import dependent in a lot of areas, the whaling is small by comparison.

What they do in international waters is their business. Lunatics like Bethune are the problem.

Ummm... of course there is a disparity. I was making the point that while there really is no "need" (and I do believe that the Eskimo's and other northern indigeonous folks do need to do it) to do it, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed.

Sonnabend
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Well, the "need" issue, is one that I would say....is from a uniquely Japanese standpoint.

Speedy
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
However, I myself see absolutely no legitimate reason for ANYONE to be killing whales or polar bears (or baby harp seals) whether those doing the killing are Japanese or Eskimos.

I don't know but I have always felt that baby harp seals must be very delicious! It has been my experience that the cuter an animal is, the better it tasts!

Megaguns91
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know but I have always felt that baby harp seals must be very delicious! It has been my experience that the cuter an animal is, the better it tasts!

I second that movement.

Maybe that's why I never really understood Silence of the Lambs. :confused:

Always thought it sounded like a giant BBQ party to me! :D

Novaheart
04-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Deer are pests. Whales and polar bears aren't pests because human beings have little reason to be near either one of them. The occasional polar bear might wander in some place he's not welcome, but one can hardly argue that a whale snuck on his back porch and scared him.

Megaguns91
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Deer are pests. Whales and polar bears aren't pests because human beings have little reason to be near either one of them. The occasional polar bear might wander in some place he's not welcome, but one can hardly argue that a whale snuck on his back porch and scared him.

I dunno about that...I hear that Rosie O'Donnell sightings have been frequently lately....:confused:

:p

fettpett
04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
the dude is lucky they didn't shoot him on the spot and sink the boat. it's international waters, who's going to say boo about it?

of course they would have to have weapons on board to do such a thing, but they probably do, even if they are illegal in Japan

fettpett
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM

got to love the hypocrisy of the left. They tell us that we HAVE to respect other cultures BUT when it comes to those cultures doing what they have done for literally THOUSANDS of years, they get all bent out of shape and bitching about it.

yes the Japanese hunt whales, big deal, everything gets used. it's not like they are hunting a lot or wasting it. Eskimos hunt the animals for food and/or spiritual reasons, but again it's not like they hunt them to the extreme.

The whaling industry of the 1800's was excessive, but once oil was found and people realized how valuable it was as an energy source, the whaling industry died.