PDA

View Full Version : Fateful Friday

linda22003
04-02-2010, 08:23 AM
It's a gorgeous day in the DC area - cherry blossoms in bloom, pollen making people run indoors. Everything is green, green, green.

TOTD: In the midst of all this beauty, a close friend's life was touched by suicide this week. She and her family are all in shock over it. The man who ended it was only 26, and just got married a few months ago.

Have you ever been touched by this? Can you fathom what makes people do it? Do the survivors ever get over it?

djones520
04-02-2010, 08:33 AM
TOTD: An uncle I never met accidentally killed himself. He was drunk and fighting with his girlfriend. Went into his bedroom, thought he emptied his gun, but forgot to take the chambered bullet out, came out to scare his girlfriend and blew his head off.

My father also tried killing himself when he suffered a mental breakdown due to combined job stress and my parents getting a divorce. Downed a bottle of pain meds. He ended up alright. I don't really know how that affected me. That whole week was a pretty traumatizing thing. Between that, my parents breaking up (it pretty much came out of no where for me), and 9/11 all in a 2 day period, emotions were just an unbelievable roller coaster ride for a while.

Going on 9 years later, I can say I'm well over it. I still have a very strong relationship with my father (well, both parents). But I can't really speak of those who have "succeeded".

FlaGator
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
TOTD: I have had suicidal thoughts for most of my life. I've made a few half hearted attempts but there is something in my core being (God) that lets me know if I just stick things out they get better. I have had friends commit suicide, some pretty unlikely ones too so you never know who's capable of this. Do you ever get over it? Honestly, no. Like a lot of things in life you cope with it and learn to accept it or perhaps a better phrase is live with it. Accepting the death is one thing, accepting the reason is another matter completely. Keep an eye on your friends and do what you can to help them from becoming bitter. The anger and bitterness can lead to ruin lives.

Peace be with them and you.

Gingersnap
04-02-2010, 09:52 AM
It should be sunny in the morning with highs in the low 40s and a rain/snow mix possible in the afternoon. I'm contemplating purchasing some major gardening equipment this weekend. :)

TOTD: Thank God, no - if there were any suicides in my family, they were successful in concealing it. I had a teacher in high school who killed himself but I can't say this affected me much. I've known some people who had suicides among their families or friends.

I think that how well the family or friends recover depends on the relationship and how the "survivors" frame it. Siblings and children of suicides seem to have it worst. You can't be much more fundamentally rejected than by having a parent or sib kill themselves. :(

Megaguns91
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
TOTD:

I've never contemplating killing myself, nor have I ever really encountered anyone close to me who has.

May they find the strength to persevere.

Kay
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
When I was in high school, me and this other guy were voted "wittiest" in the personality poll in my junior year. We had our picture made together for the annual yearbook, and then just days later he killed himself and left all kinds of devil worshiping crap around before he did it. He left a long manifesto about it in a suicide note, saying he'd been into that darkness for a long time. Knowing his quirky sense of humor he had, I always felt like he did that as one last (sick)joke on the way out. As a parent myself now, I can only imagine how that must haunt his family still, the way he left things. You'd have never know the kid had a problem in the world. He was from a good family, always made good grades and was well liked by everyone.

Then also I was pretty good friends with a couple who's 11 year old son hanged himself. That was pretty bad, his mother found him hanging in a tree in the backyard. All signs indicated it was deliberate, he'd made a hangman's noose and then got up in the tree with it around his neck and jumped out apparently. He was always a strange kid though, they'd had a lot of trouble with him doing odd things for years.

Like Gator said, you just never know what's going on inside your friends.
It's not something that would ever enter into my mind to do.

namvet
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
a fast moving Tstorm thru here this morning. winds 70-90 MPH. damage to homes/business and some semi's rolled over. TOTD: last Nov a friend of ours who was bi polar killed himself. its was a shock to us all

RobJohnson
04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
It's a gorgeous day in the DC area - cherry blossoms in bloom, pollen making people run indoors. Everything is green, green, green.

TOTD: In the midst of all this beauty, a close friend's life was touched by suicide this week. She and her family are all in shock over it. The man who ended it was only 26, and just got married a few months ago.

Have you ever been touched by this? Can you fathom what makes people do it? Do the survivors ever get over it?

Sorry to hear about the man that took his own life, how sad.

TOTD:

When I was young our small town had a couple suicides back to back. One was in an open field not too far from my house, kids & adults both were trying to sneak up there to see the body.

In 2002 an employee's father decided to end his life right in front of two of his adult sons....they still go to support groups and feel they are able to help others through it as well. The grandchildren & parents of the man that took his life were in the same house at the time, but not the same room. The man was having a rough time and had been hospitalized, he explained that he was not ready to return home. Once home he decided on a dramatic exit. He was well known in the community and the entire town was in shock. He was the pressman for the local small town newspaper.