PDA

View Full Version : Body Piercing: Sign of Deviance or Normal Practice?

Gingersnap
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Body Piercing: Sign of Deviance or Normal Practice?
Fri Apr 2, 7:04 pm ET

FRIDAY, April 2 (HealthDay News) -- No firm evidence exists that body piercing indicates mental illness, but doctors might consider screening patients with body piercings for high-risk behaviors and for psychiatric symptoms, such as suicidal thoughts, say researchers who reviewed 23 published studies.

The analysis found that the reported prevalence of body piercing ranged from 6.8 percent to 14 percent in the general population and from 4.3 percent to 51 percent among teenagers and young adults. Females were more likely than males to have body piercing, which was associated with a wide range of potentially harmful behaviors, such as alcohol use, smoking, drug use, high-risk sex, Russian roulette and problem gambling.

Three large studies found that body piercing was related to antisocial activity in adolescents. Body piercing was more common among women with low constraint (being impulsive and thrill-seeking) and who express anger verbally. The analysis also found that body piercing is significantly associated with high negative emotionality and low positive emotionality in young females.

So, your average female college student.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100402/hl_hsn/bodypiercingsignofdevianceornormalpractice)

linda22003
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Since my attitude toward tattoos is well known, you can imagine how I feel about body piercings. This includes earlobes.

FlaGator
04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't mind pierced ears but the facial and tongue stuff I don't find attractive. Still, to each his own.

marv
04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
No firm evidence exists that body piercing indicates mental illness, but doctors might consider screening patients with body piercings for high-risk behaviors and for psychiatric symptoms, such as suicidal thoughts, say researchers who reviewed 23 published studies.
Uhhhhh, come again...

djones520
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Uhhhhh, come again...

Yeah... that part left me a bit confused as well.

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
You have to be MENTAL to get some of the things they pierce - pierced.:rolleyes:

ralph wiggum
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
....wide range of potentially harmful behaviors, such as alcohol use, smoking, drug use, high-risk sex, Russian roulette and problem gambling....

What?:eek:

Articulate_Ape
04-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I often wonder what all these young people getting extensive tattoos and piercings are gonna look like when they are senior citizens. All I can picture is a bunch of wrinkled old tie-dyed T-shirts that were used to test a Ronco rhinestone and stud-setter.

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I often wonder what all these young people getting extensive tattoos and piercings are gonna look like when they are senior citizens. All I can picture is a bunch of wrinkled old tie-dyed T-shirts that were used to test a Ronco rhinestone and stud-setter.

Thing is - the type of person who most often goes in for the excessive tats and piercings - they're not noted for thinking past their next high so . . . don't expect them to plan for their old age.

Articulate_Ape
04-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Thing is - the type of person who most often goes in for the excessive tats and piercings - they're not noted for thinking past their next high so . . . don't expect them to plan for their old age.

That isn't always the case, Poli. Many do it to stand out, express individualism, and/or rebel against the norm. All the other "fashion statements" of the past have become the norm for the most part so this is all the fools have left. Lord knows what their kids and grandkids will resort to to stand out from them. Amputations?

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
That isn't always the case, Poli. Many do it to stand out, express individualism, and/or rebel against the norm. All the other "fashion statements" of the past have become the norm for the most part so this is all the fools have left. Lord knows what their kids and grandkids will resort to to stand out from them. Amputations?

You know that highs come from more than drugs right? This is still primarily an example of people who are chasing highs and lack general foresight.

Articulate_Ape
04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
You know that highs come from more than drugs right?

Wait! What? Why wasn't I told?

Kay
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I have pierced ears and that hurt when they did it.
I'd never have anything else pierced and almost didn't get the second ear done.

Apache
04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I have pierced ears and that hurt when they did it.
I'd never have anything else pierced and almost didn't get the second ear done.

Really? How old were you when you had them done?

FlaGator
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM

There is woman I know who is covered in body piercings and tattoos and she is a absolute genius at technical stuff. There are few who can challenge here in a technical arena. That is what keeps her employed. Her abilities cause prospective employers to look past the body art.

Articulate_Ape
04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
There is woman I know who is covered in body piercings and tattoos and she is a absolute genius at technical stuff. There are few who can challenge here in a technical arena. That is what keeps her employed. Her abilities cause prospective employers to look past the body art.

I personally have no problem with what people do with their own bodies, but that doesn't mean I understand it.

Kay
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Really? How old were you when you had them done?

I was a freshman in high school, so about 15. My best friend was getting hers done and talked me into it. They used one of those piercing guns. On the first one, I wasn't sure what to expect and it was so fast I didn't have time to think about it. But for that second ear, I knew what was coming. I sure wanted to tell them just to stop right there, but I didn't want to look like a pirate with one earring. Guess I'm glad I did it, as I feel nekkid now without earrings.

Around here a lot of the younger people have those black round things that actually fit inside the hole in your ear lobe, and they increase the size periodically. They end up with a huge sagging hole like those tribes in Africa that do it. Why would anyone want to do that to themselves? I also hate to see people with little babies and small children that have their ears pierced.

Articulate_Ape
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/FENGSHUI.jpg

Apache
04-03-2010, 09:22 PM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/FENGSHUI.jpg

I hate you....

*runs for the brain bleach*

Kay
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
This is what I was talking about.
They call them "ear cogs"

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/kaycrawford/th_EarCog.jpg

Rockntractor
04-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Okay they are making handles on the sides of their heads! Are they putting beer can holders on top?:confused:

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Okay they are making handles on the sides of their heads! Are they putting beer can holders on top?:confused:

how bad is it that I got this? :D

Rockntractor
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
how bad is it that I got this? :D

:D

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Yea I'm sorry but those kind of 'body modifications' say a great deal about someone's judgment and their decision making skills.

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I consider it my duty to lecture all teenagers I deal with about the hygenic problems with body piercing, in particular the dental and sinus problems that nose-piercing causes (the most likely one for a teen to get, other than ears). I hate seeing kids who have lips, eyebrows, and so on pierced.

I think teens and young adults get all that crap for the same reason they do anything else-to freak the rest of us out. So if it is a kid I have no responsibility for who is pierced, I ignore it. Some of it is cultural, I don't see a lot of people with metal hanging off their faces in West Michigan, it's more a Detroit/Ann Arbor/E. Lansing thing.

When I first moved to Detroit, I was freaked out by the practice of piercing baby girls' ears, when they are less than a year old. That's definitely a cultural thing, though, with black and hispanic people.

Gingersnap
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Probably the best deterrent to defiant tattooing and piercing would be photos of 40+ adults who did it. I was out this weekend and saw a gal about 45 years old or so who had a neck tat (among others). The sun damage to the tat on top of neck creases was not a pretty sight.

Women who remove nose piercings will always have a hole. It will tighten up but it will always look like a giant enlarged pore.

And of course, nothing says "class" like a wedding gown that partially shows off that unicorn or baby portrait that you thought was so meaningful 10 years ago.

Novaheart
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM

I clearly remember speaking with my best friend in high school about the future. Thinking that we were somewhat delinquent juveniles, even though we were the kind with good grades who didn't get caught, I wondered outloud, "What will our kids do to top us? Murder for sport?"

Well, his kid turned out really well, so I'm not sure what my point is. Oh, yeah, piercing is gross. Barely tolerable for simple earrings, but those big grommets and African crap has to go. What next? Plates in lips?

M21
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
And of course, nothing says "class" like a wedding gown that partially shows off that unicorn or baby portrait that you thought was so meaningful 10 years ago.

That cute unicorn tat from 10 or 20 years ago may very well look like a giraffe today. :)

Novaheart
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM

I see a tremendous future for the person who becomes a cosmetic surgeon.

I'm sorry, but that's mutilation.

enslaved1
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I like good tattoos, and some pierciings. When I was in jr high, guys having an earring was just shocking, and if it was in your right ear well.... x_X. Then that became commonplace, so to be shocking, it took a whole bunch of rings in both ears. Same with tats. Having one or two pieces was impressive, and again as that became more acceptable, it took neck tattoos and face tattoos to get attention. These kids and young people are just trying to get attention, and to do that, it takes a whole lot of wierdness anymore.

I've seen pictures of streched laberets (middle of the chin) so you can see their bottom teeth (just nasty) and streched cheek piercings with 4 or 5 inch disks in them (and the same guy with his cheecks stiched up after he decided he didn't like the jowley look). Retirement homes are going to be very interesting in about 30-40 years. Imagine changing depends and dealing with genital piercings.

PoliCon
04-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Imagine changing depends and dealing with genital piercings. It's bad enough trying to get through airport secur- . . . . I mean I've HEARD that it's bad enough trying to get through airport security . . . :o So I've heard . . . . from people I know . . . .:o

enslaved1
04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
It's bad enough trying to get through airport secur- . . . . I mean I've HEARD that it's bad enough trying to get through airport security . . . :o So I've heard . . . . from people I know . . . .:o

Just stick with the airports with those full body scanners, that should speed up the process. :D