PDA

View Full Version : More Census Waste

Kay
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I read a news story I meant to post here that some areas are being mailed a second round of census forms. Well yesterday, I got a second one myself. I threw it away. Just now googled to find that article to post with this, but so many articles came up I didn't waste time picking through them, you can just put in "second census" and see for yourself. Looks like a lot of areas from all states are being mailed a second identical form. They say this is for areas where the return rates are low....wtf.

So I got a mailing telling me the census form was coming. The census form. Then a post card reminding me to mail it back if I hadn't already. Now I get this second entire whole form again.

I would really like to see the final total of postage that was spent on this whole deal.

And I would really like to know how many duplicates people are sending back in to be double counted. They say its coded so it won't be counted twice from the same address. I'm sure that's true in some areas and not so true in others.

Apache
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
There have been some reports of questionable census practices. I don't think I've heard about so many problems in other years...could also be that I wasn't paying attention.

PoliCon
04-03-2010, 11:58 PM
The second forms were only sent to areas with notoriously low mail response levels - hoping that people will fill them out and return them - since the mailing is cheaper than hiring people to go door to door.

Novaheart
04-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I read a news story I meant to post here that some areas are being mailed a second round of census forms. Well yesterday, I got a second one myself. I threw it away. Just now googled to find that article to post with this, but so many articles came up I didn't waste time picking through them, you can just put in "second census" and see for yourself. Looks like a lot of areas from all states are being mailed a second identical form. They say this is for areas where the return rates are low....wtf.

So I got a mailing telling me the census form was coming. The census form. Then a post card reminding me to mail it back if I hadn't already. Now I get this second entire whole form again.

I would really like to see the final total of postage that was spent on this whole deal.

And I would really like to know how many duplicates people are sending back in to be double counted. They say its coded so it won't be counted twice from the same address. I'm sure that's true in some areas and not so true in others.

I have gotten something like six pieces of mail related to the census.

I got a card telling me it was coming, that that it was important that I do it.

I got the long form on the 10th or so, which I left on the desk figuring I had plenty of time, and I don't send my mail out until the 25th as a rule.

I got a card on the 25th asking me where my census form was and informing me I had to fill it out. This too was left on the desk, since I now didn't care.

I got a second long form in the mail a couple of days later. I filled it out until it got too personal, at which point I tore it up and then filled out the name and population of my house leaving everything else blank.

I mailed the census back.

The next day or so I got another card asking me where my census form was.

Swampfox
04-04-2010, 02:07 AM
The census form says to count everyone in your house on April 1st but wants you to mail it back before April 1st. Does anyone else think this is beyond retarded?

NJCardFan
04-04-2010, 02:18 AM
I'd like to know the advertising budget for this.