PDA

View Full Version : Justice Stevens possible retirement

fettpett
04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Justice Stevens Says He'll Decide Soon On Retiring
Saturday, 03 Apr 2010 02:44 PM
Article Font Size

Justice John Paul Stevens says he'll decide soon about retiring for his own peace of mind and to give President Barack Obama and the Senate plenty of time to replace him.

Stevens turns 90 this month and is the oldest justice. He tells The New York Times that he knows he must "fish or cut bait."

But Stevens, who was named to the court by Republican President Gerald R. Ford in 1975, says he still loves the job, and says he continues to write the first draft of his own opinions.

Stevens says if it ever gets to point where he stopped doing that, it would be a sign he wasn't up to the job anymore.

Stevens is the leader of the court's liberals. His retirement would give Obama his second Supreme Court pick.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/Supreme-Court-john-paul/2010/04/03/id/354674

hopefully the Libtard will wait till after November to retire, then we won't have to deal with this group of fucktards in Washington pushing through another shitty ass Justice

ralph wiggum
04-03-2010, 11:17 PM
hopefully the Libtard will wait till after November to retire, then we won't have to deal with this group of fucktards in Washington pushing through another shitty ass Justice

Even if he does retire, it'll be difficult to find someone more liberal to replace him. I hope he hangs around until '12/'13 when we can get another Scalia/Alito/Thomas in his place.

Rockntractor
04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
when we can get another Scalia/Alito/Thomas in his place.
Guam will capsize first!

lacarnut
04-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Guam will capsize first!

Either that or Obama will see the error of his ways and become a conservative.

Articulate_Ape
04-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Guam will capsize first!

Hahahaha! Pig dude, you are a mind reader. If you were in Saudi Arabia, they would decapitate you!

Constitutionally Speaking
04-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Even if he does retire, it'll be difficult to find someone more liberal to replace him. I hope he hangs around until '12/'13 when we can get another Scalia/Alito/Thomas in his place.

This was one of the reasons I pleaded with conservatives to hold their noses in the last election.
We had a real opportunity to get rid of the anti-constitutional justices, but now we are reduced to praying they stay in office till someone inclined to appoint originalist justices to the bench.

fettpett
04-04-2010, 08:53 AM
well unless there is some unforseen accident/death to one of the Conservative judges, we wont see anything but libs retire. downside to that we wont be able to replace them with good judges

Sonnabend
04-04-2010, 11:40 AM
If you were in Saudi Arabia, they would decapitate you!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/3834001594_00deac0470.jpg

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
This was one of the reasons I pleaded with conservatives to hold their noses in the last election.
We had a real opportunity to get rid of the anti-constitutional justices, but now we are reduced to praying they stay in office till someone inclined to appoint originalist justices to the bench.

I've said it more than once - the only reason why I voted for Bush - TWICE - was judges. No other issue entered into my decision. The fact that he gave us Alito and Roberts makes up for every other bad decision he ever made in my book. The worst than can happen here is a continuation of the status quo on the court. 5replacing Stevens with another leftist is not going to shift the court. BUT - if we can retake the senate - we could force Barry to at least name a moderate instead of another left -wing extremist.

AmPat
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
The Senate needs to act like Marxist-DIMRATS and refuse to consider bringing them to confirmation. RATS did this repeatedly to Bush nominees, I see no reason to cooperate with DIMS on this issue.

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I've said it more than once - the only reason why I voted for Bush - TWICE - was judges. No other issue entered into my decision. The fact that he gave us Alito and Roberts makes up for every other bad decision he ever made in my book. The worst than can happen here is a continuation of the status quo on the court. 5replacing Stevens with another leftist is not going to shift the court. BUT - if we can retake the senate - we could force Barry to at least name a moderate instead of another left -wing extremist.

I suspect Obama will name a moderate, regardless, after his first experience with nominating a justice. I'd also guess even further that it will be a white female, since that is the voting block he will need in 2012.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I suspect Obama will name a moderate, regardless, after his first experience with nominating a justice. I'd also guess even further that it will be a white female, since that is the voting block he will need in 2012.

Splain what you mean about his 'first experience.'

AmPat
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Splain what you mean about his 'first experience.'

The idiot hispanic female that should have never even been nominated much less confiirmed.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 04:42 PM
The idiot hispanic female that should have never even been nominated much less confiirmed.

I know who his first nominee was - but I want to understand what it is about that nomination that she was referring to.

fettpett
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Looks like our Hopes got dashed today as Justice Stevens announced his reiterment. Maybe the Republican's and drag this out until after November/January. It'll be a HUGE campain issue I'm sure

megimoo
04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Supreme Court Justice Stevens now says he'll be gone in July...
Per Foxnews Alert

PoliCon
04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Supreme Court Justice Stevens now says he'll be gone in July...
Per Foxnews Alert

Now is the PERFECT time for certain cases to come - while Stevens is out and before Barry gets another one in.