PDA

View Full Version : When did you first become interested in politics?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-04-2010, 01:47 PM
The first time I ever came near anything political was when my mom took me with her to vote in the 1996 election--for Bill Clinton. She told me about it and why she was there, and in school (I was in first grade at the time) we discussed the candidates briefly.

But in 2000 my parents followed the election closely, and I followed it with them--they were supporting Bush over Gore. I stayed up all night on election night hoping for Bush to win, and I remember falling to sleep with him as the winner; I don't really remember the whole election controversy.

I really got into politics during the 08 campaign...And I've been deep into it ever since.

Kay
04-04-2010, 02:09 PM
My mother was a precinct chairman in the Republican party and my first recollection of helping her with a presidential campaign was in support of Barry Goldwater in 1964. :eek: (yes I'm that old).

When I turned 18 I went to work for her as an election clerk, and worked every election just about after that for many many years. Was a precinct chair myself, and election judge. Retired from that about 4 years ago when I moved back here, but I still make the state conventions as a delegate.

FlaGator
04-04-2010, 02:28 PM
When I was 29, I started listening to conservative talk radio. That was my first exposure to conservatism. Before that I was a, more or less, disinterested social liberal. I didn't follow politics too closely and basically operated on what felt like the right thing to do. I really didn't look too deeply into issues. All that changed when I discovered that the beliefs of conservatism where more in sync with what I actually thought. I was appalled at how wrong I had been because I simply believed in the feel-goodism that seems to be core of liberal thought. To me this is a very superficial world view. When I started deconstructing liberal solutions that I had previously supported I realized that many of them at best did more harm than good and some of them were actually dehumanizing and bred a modern form of slavery that didn't seem like slavery because those under it's yoke were getting their basic needs met with little or no exertion on their part. I came to the conclusion that much of what I supported had worked to tighten the yoke and I saw (and still see) conservative initiatives as a way to loosen the bonds.

Apache
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I've pretty much been around politics my whole life. My mother, like Kay's, was a volunteer for Goldwater in '64. She was also party to his senatorial runs. She kept saying how hard it was to be a Republican in Arizona back then...

ralph wiggum
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I was one of the editors of my high school newspaper in Iowa in 1988. Candidates flocked to my suburban Des Moines high school. I got to meet and/or interview Jack Kemp, Pete DuPont, Bruce Babbitt, Jesse Jackson, Pat Buchanan, maybe a few others I'm forgetting. I was able to get a press pass to cover the 1988 Iowa caucuses, which got me backstage at a lot of the campaigns for the entire day/night.

So that's more or less what got me interested.

asdf2231
04-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Watching the media and the Left in the aftermath of 9/11.

Thats what got me serious about politics.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
When Clinton won his first term.

Sonnabend
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Since the day I was old enough to vote, at 18. Before that, I kept a close eye on world affairs, and did two term papers in History class on WW2 and Entebbe.

World affairs were discussed in class each week, with some heated debates.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Since the day I was old enough to vote, at 18. Before that, I kept a close eye on world affairs, and did two term papers in History class on WW2 and Entebbe.

World affairs were discussed in class each week, with some heated debates.

We had a lot of heated debates in high school, but of course that was in Minnesota and it got cold outside!

Sonnabend
04-05-2010, 01:37 AM
We had a lot of heated debates in high school, but of course that was in Minnesota and it got cold outside!

I was in NZ when the word of Operation Thunderbolt hit the news stands. People were laughing at Amin and expressed admiration at the Israelis...that is still a textbook example of a perfect anti terror op.

Israelis kick ass.

NJCardFan
04-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Another CITM homework assignment I see. :rolleyes:

Speedy
04-05-2010, 02:16 AM
What got me into politics was being on the debate team. As I studied up I noticed that I was more one side of the issues than another. Unlike most people who are somewhat liberal when younger, I have always been a conservative.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 02:55 AM

Yeah, my teacher in Constitutional Law seems to just give homework on every single topic out there--theology, local news, questioning when someone became into politics, etc.:rolleyes:

lacarnut
04-05-2010, 05:23 AM
My first vote for Prez was for Goldwater...... watched on a black and white TV the slaughter on election night. The mushroom cloud ad did him in.

Sonnabend
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Yeah, my teacher in Constitutional Law seems to just give homework on every single topic out there--theology, local news, questioning when someone became into politics, etc.

Funny, a lot of your "topics" seem to resemble homework assignments.:rolleyes:

marv
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Life long Republican. Dad and Mom voted FDR in '32, but Republican thereafter!

First campaign interest was Eisenhower's '52 run against Truman.

First vote was Nixon over Kennedy in '60 (absentee, I was in the USAF).

But I did vote Perot in '92........http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/images/smilies/BangHead.gif

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
But I did vote Perot in '92........http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/images/smilies/BangHead.gif
Your the one!:mad:

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
College. I got intrested when I realized that the majority of the stuff I had been sold on as a kid was far from true. The impotus for this awakening was a course in Western Civ that actually helped to start putting things in perspective for me. I took a couple of years off of school as a result and went into the mission field - and when I came home - I had a totally different perspective.

Lanie
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I first became interested as a kid when I noticed some bullshit (or what I thought was bullshit).

I next became interested as a teenager and really wanted to vote.

To me, it's just natural. I don't understand people in the community who don't want to have a say so in things.

AmPat
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I changed from ignorant liberal to staunch Conservative after I saw Jimma Carta screw up the country and trash our reputation abroad. Reagan sealed the deal for me. The only set back was a brain cramp in 92 when Perot seemed a realistic solution. I will forever regret believing I could help bring about a third party. Hence, I want the teaparty to endorse conservatives in the primaries and republicans in the generals.

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
We had a 3rd grade mock election for the 1972 presidential election. I remember that Nixon won overwhelmingly, but a couple of kids voted for McGovern and one stubborn racist kid cast an independent vote for Wallace. My mom discussed that election with us, because it was one that was troubling for her. She disliked Nixon and thought he was a liar (my dad liked him and was very disappointed in him two years later), but she was afraid that McGovern would pass policies that would involve busing us from our suburban district to an inner-city district. Nixon and Watergate are my first real memory of politics, as I was in elementary school at the time, and the new president was from my hometown.

We always discussed politics over the dinner table as a family. My parents disagreed about most political issues. My maternal grandfather is a very conservative person, my dad is a swing voter and my mom is a liberal. Both of my siblings were debate club members, and were pretty good. I had an advanced government class that added more politics to the state-required lessons in that topic.

My mom verges on Moonbat, though. She is very liberal, and has no problem with forcing her views on others.

ralph wiggum
04-05-2010, 11:10 AM
My mom verges on Moonbat, though. She is very liberal, and has no problem with forcing her views on others.

What's her DU name? :D

FlaGator
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Perhaps you should kill her?

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Perhaps you should kill her?

Why would I want to contribute to her martyrdom? I'm already the cold-hearted daughter who never calls and doesn't hug her back. Her friends give her all kinds of sympathy over how mean my brother and I are to her, and how much she has sacrificed for us all, not to mention all the sympathy they give her over my sister's health problems. I learned a long time ago not to tell her anything that I don't want her church women friends to know about.

Ralph-she's too computer-phobic to do anything but email people, and she rarely does that. Her stupid friends keep sending me facebook friend requests that I ignore, but she never has sent me one.

marv
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Your the one!:mad:
I plead guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court........

The only set back was a brain cramp in 92 when Perot seemed a realistic solution. I will forever regret believing I could help bring about a third party. Hence, I want the teaparty to endorse conservatives in the primaries and republicans in the generals.
...but I had misguided company...

And I agree that the place for the TEA partiers is in the primaries. Third parties are useful, but not in the Oval Office, they'er too one issue voters.

NJCardFan
04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
We had a 3rd grade mock election for the 1972 presidential election. I remember that Nixon won overwhelmingly, but a couple of kids voted for McGovern and one stubborn racist kid cast an independent vote for Wallace. My mom discussed that election with us, because it was one that was troubling for her. She disliked Nixon and thought he was a liar (my dad liked him and was very disappointed in him two years later), but she was afraid that McGovern would pass policies that would involve busing us from our suburban district to an inner-city district. Nixon and Watergate are my first real memory of politics, as I was in elementary school at the time, and the new president was from my hometown.

We always discussed politics over the dinner table as a family. My parents disagreed about most political issues. My maternal grandfather is a very conservative person, my dad is a swing voter and my mom is a liberal. Both of my siblings were debate club members, and were pretty good. I had an advanced government class that added more politics to the state-required lessons in that topic.

You just showed your age which is 1 year older than I.:D We did the same thing in my 2nd grade class and Nixon, too, won in a landslide. I remember all of the black kids reacting negatively with every vote Nixon got. At the time I didn't understand it. I do now. Living in an area ripe with welfare families(mostly black and Puerto Rican), looking back, it made sense that they would be pro McGovern.

As for when I first became interested in politics in earnest wasn't until I got to high school.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Why would I want to contribute to her martyrdom? I'm already the cold-hearted daughter who never calls and doesn't hug her back. Her friends give her all kinds of sympathy over how mean my brother and I are to her, and how much she has sacrificed for us all, not to mention all the sympathy they give her over my sister's health problems. I learned a long time ago not to tell her anything that I don't want her church women friends to know about.

Ralph-she's too computer-phobic to do anything but email people, and she rarely does that. Her stupid friends keep sending me facebook friend requests that I ignore, but she never has sent me one.

Not to intrude, but you didn't cease talking to her simply over politics I hope?

noonwitch
04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Not to intrude, but you didn't cease talking to her simply over politics I hope?

I still talk to her, sometimes. Our conflicts have nothing to do with politics-I get along well enough with her father, who has the total opposite views I have. It has a lot more to do with her borderline personality disorder, and the duplicitous and manipulative behavior that goes along with it.

marinejcksn
04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I stumbled onto Mark Levin in 2007, flipping through radio stations while I was delivering pizzas and something inside clicked. I started writing down book names whenever he'd mention one and started reading all the classical economists. Hayek lead me to look into Libertarianism really deeply and Barry Goldwater cemented my Libertarian beliefs.

Megaguns91
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
First history lesson that I can remember in 5th grade. The American Revolution. Became enchanted by the political aspects of history instead of history itself. :o

AmPat
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I plead guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court........

...but I had misguided company...

And I agree that the place for the TEA partiers is in the primaries. Third parties are useful, but not in the Oval Office, they'er too one issue voters.

Rat Fink!:mad:

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I started listening to conservative radio like Rush when I was still in high school. I became obsessed, I followed it daily and began getting books. When Fox News exploded I started my Fox News obsession that continues today and added some more Radio hosts to my list (Hannity and now Beck).

While I don't only consume Conservative Media, it is a very big portion of the media I do consume. I'm currently re-reading my copy of Glenn Beck's Arguing With Idiots and first-time-reading Slavoj Zizek's Enjoy Your Symptom!

Basically since before I could vote I was fascinated by politics and particularly conservative politics.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I started listening to conservative radio like Rush when I was still in high school. I became obsessed, I followed it daily and began getting books. When Fox News exploded I started my Fox News obsession that continues today and added some more Radio hosts to my list (Hannity and now Beck).

While I don't only consume Conservative Media, it is a very big portion of the media I do consume. I'm currently re-reading my copy of Glenn Beck's Arguing With Idiots and first-time-reading Slavoj Zizek's Enjoy Your Symptom!

Basically since before I could vote I was fascinated by politics and particularly conservative politics.

liar. :rolleyes:

patriot45
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Ha! That has to be rich! He is reading Arguing with idiots and he is an idiot! That must hurt!

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Ha! That has to be rich! He is reading Arguing with idiots and he is an idiot! That must hurt!

He could at least try a little bit harder to be convincing. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM

You are about as conservative as Hugo Chavez.

Megaguns91
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
You are about as conservative as Hugo Chavez.

Having a picnic with Kim Jong Ill-in-the-head.

fettpett
04-05-2010, 06:42 PM
What got me into politics was being on the debate team. As I studied up I noticed that I was more one side of the issues than another. Unlike most people who are somewhat liberal when younger, I have always been a conservative.

I was the same way, my first political memory was when I was in 4th grade and my class and another class followed the election between George H W Bush and Clinton. Boy was I upset when Clinton won. In 7th grade we started following the election between Clinton and Bob Dole, I argued against Clinton and some of the stuff that he'd done.

When the Kosovo war was going on, I did a speech about how it was wrong and illegal for us to go into it. That was a great year too, spent many of lunch periods arguing politics with my liberal friends. during my Senior year we followed the 2000 election, I was very big supporter of Keyes during my Junior year but when Bush won the primaries I supported him only because I had no desire to see Gore elected.

I'm a Rush baby as well. my dad has listened to him for as long as I can remember. I started listening to him and Beck when he first started out

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM

why would I like about what I read and watch? What do I gain from that?

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
why would I like about what I read and watch? What do I gain from that?

You're attempting to gain legitimacy. No one is buy either it - or you. You're a joke and a bad one at that. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 06:55 PM
lol alright bro whatever helps you sleep at night.

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Throughout college I was one of the weird kids tracking individual races in congressional elections and my friends laughed at me for watching C-Span

Sonnabend
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Pathetic,

Megaguns91
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Throughout college I was one of the weird kids watching individual races in congressional elections and my laughed at me for watching C-Span

Your college education is evident in your lack of grammatical and logical skill. ;)

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM

1 - You're not my 'bro.' Nor am I a 'bro.'

2 - This shit pales in comparison to what keeps me up at night.

3 - laugh all you like. I'm sure you will be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

http://www.jonespc.com/wp-content/uploads/Image/evil-smiley-face.jpg

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

3 - laugh all you like. I'm sure you will be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Cool! A conservative hate smiley.:D

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Kinda sad how you fantasize about putting your fellow Americans against the wall for execution.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Kinda sad how you fantasize about putting your fellow Americans against the wall for execution.

I don't know, kind of gives me a warm pleasant feeling!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 09:52 PM

I don't know, kind of gives me a warm pleasant feeling!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopath

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM

My fellow Americans? I'd never do that to a fellow American. A filthy scum sucking commie bastard -well that's a different issue.

Articulate_Ape
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
When did you first become interested in politics?

In the womb.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
My fellow Americans? I'd never do that to a fellow American. A filthy scum sucking commie bastard -well that's a different issue.

It seems that to many on this board anyone even slightly to the left is a communist, so I guess it depends on your definition of communist.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
It seems that to many on this board anyone even slightly to the left is a communist, so I guess it depends on your definition of communist.

It depends on what your definition of is is!

FlaGator
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM

A lot of them consider me a liberal.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Big difference between a classic liberal and a communist. I can respect a liberal but not a communist!

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM

anyone who is interested in using government to redistribute wealth for general purposes is a filthy scum sucking commie.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM

And who gets hell for wanting to treat gays like human beings and calling racists racists?

FlaGator
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
And who gets hell for wanting to treat gays like human beings and calling racists racists?

I think that has more to do with the presentation than the content.:D

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 10:51 PM

No one really gets after you for the racists tinkerbell.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I think that has more to do with the presentation than the content.:D

meh. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
anyone who is interested in using government to redistribute wealth for general purposes is a filthy scum sucking commie.

Do you support public libraries? How about the interstate highway system?

You know according to this definition I'm going to guess 90-somethin-percent of the population is a communist but I guess all of them will have hell to pay and reason to fear when Mr. Big Man here finally cracks and slaps a meter maid.

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 10:58 PM

I would love to hear what keeps you up at night, "policon".

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM

You know according to this definition I'm going to guess 90-somethin-percent of the population is a communist but I guess all of them will have hell to pay and reason to fear when Mr. Big Man here finally cracks and slaps a meter maid.

Public libraries funded by local communities? no. Funded by the federal government? FUCK YES.

Unlike your dumb ass I know who owns the interstate highway system and why it exists.

Get a new record fucktard.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I would love to hear what keeps you up at night, "policon".

Stop telling lies and maybe I'll consider telling you.

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Public libraries funded by local communities? no. Funded by the federal government? FUCK YES.

Unlike your dumb ass I know who owns the interstate highway system and why it exists.

Get a new record fucktard.

How about that FDA? The CDC? The Food Safety and Inspection Service?

There's dozens of these, they are all for the common good, paid for with tax money.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM
How about that FDA? The CDC? The Food Safety and Inspection Service?

There's dozens of these, they are all for the common good, paid for with tax money.

life would go one just fine without those and thousands of other federal programs.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
No one really gets after you for the racists tinkerbell.

the racists do! :p

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:14 PM

life would go one just fine without those and thousands of other federal programs.

Ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? Yeah, just forget the FSCI and the FDA--Let food and drug companies put whatever they want in food and medicine, enough people will die until people stop buying iit.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? Yeah, just forget the FSCI and the FDA--Let food and drug companies put whatever they want in food and medicine, enough people will die until people stop buying iit.

That is the main goal of the drug companies, to kill as many customers as possible. how did you find out?:confused:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:20 PM

So was Ronald Reagan a commie? He redistributed wealth or ''spread the wealth around'' by lowering taxes on the wealthy to a higher extent than on the lower classes, and increased government spending and debt by raising military spending.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM

That is the main goal of the drug companies, to kill as many customers as possible. how did you find out?:confused:

Oh, I know, so many horrible and dangerous drugs, like anxiety medications, or Hepatitis medicine, or Aids treatments, or any other form of medicine.

That doesn't even make sense--why would a drug company want to kill it's customers? Kill enough customers, you aren't in business anymore. Doesn't sound like any workable business model to me.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
So was Ronald Reagan a commie? He redistributed wealth or ''spread the wealth around'' by lowering taxes on the wealthy to a higher extent than on the lower classes, and increased government spending and debt by raising military spending.

Dang crapinthemiddle you are on to us! Yes , lowering taxes makes you a communist. Your just too smart for us!

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:25 PM

Lowering taxes is not redistribution of wealth - that's returning property to its rightful owners and letting them reinvest it back into the economy as they see fit. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Oh, I know, so many horrible and dangerous drugs, like anxiety medications, or Hepatitis medicine, or Aids treatments, or any other form of medicine.

That doesn't even make sense--why would a drug company want to kill it's customers? Kill enough customers, you aren't in business anymore. Doesn't sound like any workable business model to me.

But thats what they want to do crappy, kill us all. Thank God the government is there to save us from modern medicine!

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Lowering taxes is not redistribution of wealth - that's returning property to its rightful owners and letting them reinvest it back into the economy as they see fit. :rolleyes:

Give up brother Poli, he has found us out, it's over. We almost took over the world too!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:28 PM
But thats what they want to do crappy, kill us all. Thank God the government is there to save us from modern medicine!

I didn't support the health care reform, so spare me the sarcasm.
And yeah, when you lower taxes unequally it's redistributing wealth. And Reagan also raised taxes. TEFRA, anyone? I know, I know, it was the Democratic Congress' fault, they put a gun to the Gipper's head and forced him to sign.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:32 PM
And yeah, when you lower taxes unequally it's redistributing wealth. And Reagan also raised taxes. TEFRA, anyone? I know, I know, it was the Democratic Congress' fault, they put a gun to the Gipper's head and forced him to sign.

BULLSHIT. The taxes are ASSESSED unequally - why shouldn't the people who are paying the lions share - get the biggest cut?? or did you forget that the top rate when Regan too office was 70%? So - yea - he lowered it to 28% - and you wanna claim that that is redistribution of wealth????:rolleyes: You're straying into fucktard territory here. . . . .

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I didn't support the health care reform, so spare me the sarcasm.

Lower taxes unequally? How about tax equally? Have you seen who actually pays the bulk of taxes? Oh thats right it's top secret and we have been lying. The lowest class pays most of the taxes.:rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:48 PM

BULLSHIT. The taxes are ASSESSED unequally - why shouldn't the people who are paying the lions share - get the biggest cut?? or did you forget that the top rate when Regan too office was 70%? So - yea - he lowered it to 28% - and you wanna claim that that is redistribution of wealth????:rolleyes: You're straying into fucktard territory here. . . . .

You know, there are some who would say anything but a flat tax is communist.
After all, a progressive tax system is praised in the Communist Manifesto as a way of making things more fair.
You're simply supporting the same thing--making it more fair for a higher earning class--except in reverse, as liberals tend to feel that the middle class works the hardest thereby earning more of a cut. It's socialism both ways, it just depends on which class you favor. The Bourgeois or Proletariat?

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
After all, a progressive tax system is praised in the Communist Manifesto as a way of making things more fair.
You're simply supporting the same thing--making it more fair for a higher earning class--except in reverse, as liberals tend to feel that the middle class works the hardest thereby earning more of a cut. It's socialism both ways, it just depends on which class you favor. The Bourgeois or Proletariat?

Fuck that. income taxes are punitive. They punish achievement and should be abolished. Scrap the whole income tax system and institute CONSUMPTION taxes.

Rockntractor
04-05-2010, 11:51 PM

Spin it boy spin it!:D

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Fuck that. income taxes are punitive. They punish achievement and should be abolished. Scrap the whole income tax system and institute CONSUMPTION taxes.

I agree, same with the Estate tax. They get you coming and going, literally. I'm surprised they never tried to institute a "Birth Tax."

Wei Wu Wei
04-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Socialism favoring the Bourgeois? That's not socialism. You're talking about Reagan and Bush style supply-side economics.

Also, a flat tax isn't actually "flat", because income makes up a different percentage of net worth for different classes. For the wealthy, income is less of their net worth than for the working class who's net worth is almost entirely income. This means that the wealthy end up taxed less on their net worth than do the middle class and eve less than the working poor.

That's a regressive tax, as are sales taxes because people with less money use a larger percentage of their money (because they have to). Again, the less money you have the more of it is taxed with a sales tax.

PoliCon
04-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Socialism favoring the Bourgeois? That's not socialism. You're talking about Reagan and Bush style supply-side economics.

Also, a flat tax isn't actually "flat", because income makes up a different percentage of net worth for different classes. For the wealthy, income is less of their net worth than for the working class who's net worth is almost entirely income. This means that the wealthy end up taxed less on their net worth than do the middle class and eve less than the working poor.

That's a regressive tax, as are sales taxes because people with less money use a larger percentage of their money (because they have to). Again, the less money you have the more of it is taxed with a sales tax.

would you just do the world a favor and give yourself a retroactive abortion. :rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM

would you just do the world a favor and give yourself a retroactive abortion. :rolleyes:

I thought conservatives didn't support abortion.
By the way, how can one be retroactively aborted? This isn't the Terminator.

PoliCon
04-06-2010, 12:17 AM

as a rule - I don't. In wee wee's case - I'll make an exception.

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Take a can of gasoline, crawl into a 24" culvert about mid way, pour out gasoline and light match.

PoliCon
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Take a can of gasoline, crawl into a 24" culvert about mid way, pour out gasoline and light match.

I just figured he could jab himself in the back of the skull with some means of suction . . . .

AmPat
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Classic idiotic question by a mindless liberal drone. The public libraries are a drop in the bucket but NO! I don't support this. The original libraries were started and supported by philanthropists and private donations. That is the best way to handle this. Accepting public funds will eventually lead to censorship much like the censorship in the publicly funded schools.

Highways are a legitimate and useful endeavour for government. Please read the Constitution, your daily humiliation is painful (although entertaining) to witness.

AmPat
04-06-2010, 11:09 AM

How do you find the time to post this idiocy when you spend so much time sucking off the government tit?:cool:

AmPat
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Do you agree that we should give tax refunds to the lowest class? Is that "fair?"

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Classic idiotic question by a mindless liberal drone. The public libraries are a drop in the bucket but NO! I don't support this. The original libraries were started and supported by philanthropists and private donations. That is the best way to handle this. Accepting public funds will eventually lead to censorship much like the censorship in the publicly funded schools.

Highways are a legitimate and useful endeavour for government. Please read the Constitution, your daily humiliation is painful (although entertaining) to witness.

See the real difference is what we are considering legitimate and useful endeavors for the government. A good portion of the population feel that welfare, social security, Medicare, and other programs are real and useful projects.

Megaguns91
04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
See the real difference is what we are considering legitimate and useful endeavors for the government. A good portion of the population feel that welfare, social security, Medicare, and other programs are real and useful projects.

That good portion of the population are mindless liberal drones who leech off of the forced generosity of others when they're completely bodily capable of going out and doing hard and honest work on their own. 9 times out of 10 welfare cases are simple cases of overactive charity. People who are drug addicts who are on medicaid because they "can't afford" to purchase their own healthcare when they're more than capable of purchasing their drug supply to supply their habit and the system that coddles them and their behaviors only enable this vicious cycle.

I still don't see your new title applied yet.
Mods should probably get on it. You are a fucktard.

AmPat
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM

See, the REAL problem is that liberals legislate on feelings and not in accordance with the outlines of the CONSTITUTION.