PDA

View Full Version : 13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings

megimoo
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings
snip
It's Awkward

You can't carry it on your hip like a phone, so it presents the same portability issues as any laptop -
you'll need a case of some sort to protect it and carry the power cable. Even around the house,
there's no simple way to carry the iPad. It's too thin, heavy, slippery and expensive to put under your arm.
Several of our testers were seen carrying it like a dinner tray, as a butler would,
to go from the kitchen table to the couch. Portability, shmortability.

It's heavy
To be sure, at 1.5 pounds and with all this functionality,
the iPad is an impressive feat of engineering.
Holding the iPad in one hand for more than a few minutes to watch a movie or
read an ebook results in tired wrists.
Even holding it with two hands to read an ebook is tiring.
Reading an ebook on a smartphone is ergonomically much more practical.

It's slippery
We might ignore the awkward size and weight, but the iPad is also slippery,
and its aluminum back is ever-so-slightly slightly concave. You feel as though it'd slip
right out if you try to hold it under your arm.

The screen has too much glare
The iPad has the same glossy screen as Apple's Macbook Pro
laptops and iMac desktops.
Unless you're reading in a very dim room,

Forget reading in the sun
The Kindle's non-glossy e-ink display fares much better outdoors than the iPad's screen.

snip

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100405/sc_livescience/13glaringipadshortcomings

Novaheart
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings
snip
It's Awkward

You can't carry it on your hip like a phone, so it presents the same portability issues as any laptop -
you'll need a case of some sort to protect it and carry the power cable. Even around the house,
there's no simple way to carry the iPad. It's too thin, heavy, slippery and expensive to put under your arm.
Several of our testers were seen carrying it like a dinner tray, as a butler would,
to go from the kitchen table to the couch. Portability, shmortability.

It's heavy
To be sure, at 1.5 pounds and with all this functionality,
the iPad is an impressive feat of engineering.
Holding the iPad in one hand for more than a few minutes to watch a movie or
read an ebook results in tired wrists.
Even holding it with two hands to read an ebook is tiring.
Reading an ebook on a smartphone is ergonomically much more practical.

It's slippery
We might ignore the awkward size and weight, but the iPad is also slippery,
and its aluminum back is ever-so-slightly slightly concave. You feel as though it'd slip
right out if you try to hold it under your arm.

The screen has too much glare
The iPad has the same glossy screen as Apple's Macbook Pro
laptops and iMac desktops.
Unless you're reading in a very dim room,

Forget reading in the sun
The Kindle's non-glossy e-ink display fares much better outdoors than the iPad's screen.

snip

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100405/sc_livescience/13glaringipadshortcomings

I am an Apple devotee, typing on one right now. I have three Apple computers. I see no point in the iPad. As PC Mag said, it doesn't replace anything. I don't own an Ipod nor an iPhone. I see the functionality of those items, I just don't feel the need to have one, albeit I would probably have an iPod if my car had an MP3 input on the stereo. I may buy an iPod, but I have my eyes on a sweet pistol right now which offers superior functionality to an iPod in critical situations.

PoliCon
04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I kinda like them for use in schools for most of the same reasons this article is against them - but most especially because it will not multitask.