PDA

View Full Version : IRS could tap refunds for health insurance penalties

FlaGator
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Stevie Wonder could have seen this one coming...

(Reuters) - The Internal Revenue Service could tap individual tax returns to collect fines against people who fail to buy health insurance as required under recently enacted healthcare legislation, the U.S. tax commissioner said on Monday.
Most individuals are required to get health insurance under the new law, or face penalties that would be phased in over time. By 2016, people without coverage could see fines of 2 percent of their income.

Subsidies would help poorer people buy coverage, and states would set up exchanges to allow individuals and small groups shop for insurance.

People who do not comply would be levied penalties, and if they don't pay them the penalties could be taken out of their tax refunds.

"There has been some insinuation about how we are going to approach our job," IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman said after speaking at the National Press Club.
Under the new law, the IRS cannot seize assets or levy fines, so Shulman said refunds were the most obvious option to collect penalties.

The new law aims to expand coverage to about 32 million uninsured Americans.

Whole story here (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0517093120100405)

lacarnut
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
The S.C. in all likelyhood will throw out the provision that everyone has to purchase health insurance. If they do not, the government can force us to buy or sell anything.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Well if a new tax is introduced, unless you qualify for some credit, of course it's going to come out of your refund because your refund is the money leftover after paying your taxes.

New tax = smaller refund.

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Well if a new tax is introduced, unless you qualify for some credit, of course it's going to come out of your refund because your refund is the money leftover after paying your taxes.

New tax = smaller refund.

They can imprison the ones that wont pay taxes and sell their organs when more cooperative members of society need them!

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
They can imprison the ones that wont pay taxes and sell their organs when more cooperative members of society need them!

I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.

M21
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
No Free Lunch.

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.

They wouldn't be stealing your organs! Don't you know the government owns your body now? Right down to your little pecker!

Articulate_Ape
04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

You can be punished if you don't pay your taxes, unless you are Obama's Treasury Secretary, Charlie Rangel, etc....

However, you can be punished at the polls when you trample the will of the people.

Speedy
04-06-2010, 07:44 PM

I'll gladly take my punishment when Tim Gietner, Barney Fag and Charlie Rangel take theirs.

Articulate_Ape
04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I'll gladly take my punishment when Tim Gietner, Barney Fag and Charlie Rangel take theirs.

GMTA.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
You can be punished if you don't pay your taxes, unless you are Obama's Treasury Secretary, Charlie Rangel, etc....

lol BOOM!

Articulate_Ape
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
That wasn't a joke, WWW.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Still funny

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Still funny
Wipe that smile off your face and go to your room. It's a time out for you young man!

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Don't turn creepy on me bud

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Don't turn creepy on me bud

I'm not telling you twice! Do you want waterboarding?:rolleyes: