PDA

View Full Version : The encroachment of tv on public spaces

JackKetch
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
am i alone in despising this trend?

i'm not completely against tv but am disgusted that there are televisions in doctors' waiting rooms, airport waiting areas, restaurants, etc., where patients/ patrons are forced to endure some level of noise and motion even if they're not facing a tv. i like to read a book in waiting rooms, maybe talk with someone, and i like to eat and talk in restaurants.

last week we went out for lunch and after we were seated, i realized there was a tv over the bar to my left and one in the next room to my right, i.e., both were within my peripheral vision when i looked across the table at my spouse, who's much better looking than what was on tv. it was an annoying distraction.

i don't think they had tv the last time we ate there but now they have half a dozen or more. next time i'll choose a table more carefully because we do like the food there. it's a casual place known for having a great jukebox but with the tvs on, you just get a jumble of noise now. it got to the point that we couldn't hear each other well enough to carry on a conversation. maybe i'll take in a boom box next time we eat there so we can listen to what we like. :D

i have the feeling that most people don't really want tv in all the places it's cropping up but feel powerless to stop it. what say you all?

Gingersnap
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm with you. There are even in-house "infomercials" at Wal-Mart that you have to endure in the checkout line.

I don't need to be entertained in public and if I did, it wouldn't be via television.

JackKetch
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
do you see any hope of stopping this intrusion? what would it take to convince doctors and restaurant owners that people don't want tv in public spaces?

Gingersnap
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
do you see any hope of stopping this intrusion? what would it take to convince doctors and restaurant owners that people don't want tv in public spaces?

But "people" do want it. Most people have a very difficult time being amused by their own thoughts and many take no pleasure in reading or conversation.

I don't know what could be done about it. :(

bijou
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm with you on this too, these televisions are almost impossible to ignore. I am also annoyed by my bank's in house radio station which plays pop music intersersed with ads for assorted financial services. If I want non stop music wherever I go I will take my ipod with me.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm with you. There are even in-house "infomercials" at Wal-Mart that you have to endure in the checkout line.

I don't need to be entertained in public and if I did, it wouldn't be via television.

It's not about entertainment, it's about advertisement.

M21
04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I carry a book with me just about everywhere I go where I might have to wait. I rarely see anybody else do that these days. Most places are full of noise pollution and I may be hypersensitive to it , but where do you go to find true quiet? I find it in very few places. Mostly wild places. Thank God for our National Parks and wildernesses.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I carry a book with me just about everywhere I go where I might have to wait. I rarely see anybody else do that these days. Most places are full of noise pollution and I may be hypersensitive to it , but where do you go to find true quiet? I find it in very few places.

Yes me too, reading is great.

Mostly wild places. Thank God for our National Parks and wildernesses.

:)

Speedy
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
While I carry a book with to alot of places I also like to meet people and converse and a TV in the room is a great conversation starter. Today I took my 81 year old aunt to a doctor appointment in a town 70 miles away. There was a TV on in the waiting room and Obama was on giving a speech. The sound was turned down real low and I said to a guy next to me, "Boy, I wish I could hear what he has to say. I haven't seen him on TV since way back. Yesterday, I think!"

That brought a chuckle from him and a woman on the other side of me. We pretty much started a conversation from there.

Gingersnap
04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
It's not about entertainment, it's about advertisement.

I guess. I'm not in anybody's demographic, though. It's just noise pollution for me.

Wei Wu Wei
04-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I guess. I'm not in anybody's demographic, though. It's just noise pollution for me.

I doubt it. No one is free from advertising's influence. In fact, advertisements work most often when it's just background noise. People aren't standing and cheering on commercials that are on television, but it still works. You, nor I, nor anyone really in our society, is outside of the influential sphere of marketing. Keep in mind that a good portion of top quality psychologists work in marketing.

Lager
04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I was going to answer your reply, when I got the most strange and sudden urge to run out and buy some Doritos and allergy medicine.

Rockntractor
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I was going to answer your reply, when I got the most strange and sudden urge to run out and buy some Doritos and allergy medicine.

Maybe you have a Dorito allergy.

Novaheart
04-06-2010, 11:24 PM
am i alone in despising this trend?

i'm not completely against tv but am disgusted that there are televisions in doctors' waiting rooms, airport waiting areas, restaurants, etc., where patients/ patrons are forced to endure some level of noise and motion even if they're not facing a tv. i like to read a book in waiting rooms, maybe talk with someone, and i like to eat and talk in restaurants.

You are not alone. And I'll add an unlikely offense on the part of the merchants, I despise the TV's in the TV stores like Best Buy. I am a REAL customer, and I don't know why they don't get that. Wandering teenagers do not as a rule purchase TV's the last time I check. Neither do children. So why are there juvenile movies and things that look like Grand Theft Auto blaring from the TV sets while I am trying to decide what to buy? I don't go to Best Buy recreationally.

I turn TV's off when I can.

Have you seen this?

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_images/tvbg_LeftPic2.gif

Novaheart
04-06-2010, 11:26 PM
PS for some reason TV Be Gone will not work on the Walmart TV system. It will turn them off, but they turn themselves back on. I hate walmart for that.

Gingersnap
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I doubt it. No one is free from advertising's influence. In fact, advertisements work most often when it's just background noise. People aren't standing and cheering on commercials that are on television, but it still works. You, nor I, nor anyone really in our society, is outside of the influential sphere of marketing. Keep in mind that a good portion of top quality psychologists work in marketing.

Doubt away. You won't find "name" anything in my kitchen cupboards or closets. I don't own consumer electronics other than computers (and those are low end). No cell phone, no MP3 player, no flatscreen. I'm too uninterested to join Netflix, Facebook, or use pay-per-view. We order pizza about twice a year. I DVR what few TV shows I watch and I skip commercials. I avoid malls. We eat whole foods but not from Whole Foods (too expensive).

I may not be outside advertising influence but I'm so detached from any target demographic (and so thrifty) that it hardly matters. Advertising seems to work on the desire of the consumer to be seen as a taste-maker or insider. I'm not either and I'm okay with that. ;)

PoliCon
04-07-2010, 12:08 AM

Do like I do - bring your MP3 player and plug in an audiobook.

Gingersnap
04-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Do like I do - bring your MP3 player and plug in an audiobook.

See post #16. I'm too uninvolved to even own an MP3 player. Besides, I hate being read to - I read actual text about 10 times faster.

In real life, I always have a book or The Book for any idle moments.

PoliCon
04-07-2010, 12:16 AM
See post #16. I'm too uninvolved to even own an MP3 player. Besides, I hate being read to - I read actual text about 10 times faster.

In real life, I always have a book or The Book for any idle moments.

meh - being read to I can shop and still keep up with what's happening to Percy Jackson.

Gingersnap
04-07-2010, 12:19 AM
meh - being read to I can shop and still keep up with what's happening to Percy Jackson.

I have no idea who that even is.

PoliCon
04-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I have no idea who that even is.

:rolleyes: