PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Estate

Articulate_Ape
04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Is there any hope that the mainstream media (albeit rife with Liberals by their own admission), will actually start to challenge this regime? What would it take? The White House press corp is being marginalized, stories are being quashed, etc. Is there any point at which those who accurately claim our founders were liberals will adhere to that liberalism rather than that offered by Marx? Are there any on the Left that mourn truth being spoken on their behalf?

fettpett
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
good luck...don't see it happening at all, unless he tried to silence them somehow

Articulate_Ape
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
good luck...don't see it happening at all, unless he tried to silence them somehow

I tend to agree, which means that it is time to treat the MSM like the Tass News Service of Soviet Russia.

Ain't we got fun.

fettpett
04-06-2010, 11:36 PM
yep...at lest Fox is out there. What I can see happening is the Obama Regime goes after Fox News and in the process PMSNBC and CNN get caught in the "unintended consequences" and that pushes them against him...but they would probably get special privileges or some bs

Gingersnap
04-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I tend to agree, which means that it is time to treat the MSM like the Tass News Service of Soviet Russia.

Ain't we got fun.

Most people I run with already do that. I think the problem is that the newsies became The Establishment and then forgot to rebel against it. Actually, they've just done what every other profession has done eventually: they've become a self-selecting group.

The days when journalists came from all backgrounds and all educational settings have been over for 20 years. Now all journalists are middle class, college-educated people with degrees in media, communications, or journalism. They go to the same schools, get the same entry jobs, pal around with the same crowd, and have the same career goals. It would be amazing if any of them broke ranks and offered a different perspective.

It's the same in any profession that aims to be a "profession" instead of a job. ;)

Articulate_Ape
04-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Most people I run with already do that. I think the problem is that the newsies became The Establishment and then forgot to rebel against it. Actually, they've just done what every other profession has done eventually: they've become a self-selecting group.

The days when journalists came from all backgrounds and all educational settings have been over for 20 years. Now all journalists are middle class, college-educated people with degrees in media, communications, or journalism. They go to the same schools, get the same entry jobs, pal around with the same crowd, and have the same career goals. It would be amazing if any of them broke ranks and offered a different perspective.

It's the same in any profession that aims to be a "profession" instead of a job. ;)

Yup. And what a shame given the times.

Gingersnap
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Yup. And what a shame given the times.

The Internet and blogs are what "journalism" was in 1925: part populism, part true-believers, part tabloid, and part muck-raking. Somehow it all added up then and it's doing the same thing now.

Articulate_Ape
04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
The Internet and blogs are what "journalism" was in 1925: part populism, part true-believers, part tabloid, and part muck-raking. Somehow it all added up then and it's doing the same thing now.

You are right, except until the new media is given the legitimacy of the NYT, et al, which it isn't yet, the people will
still look to the old media for that legitimacy. I guess my question is whether they (the old media) are willing to fall on their swords for their ideology.

PoliCon
04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
In order for the MSM to challenge Barry and Co - they will first have to spit his cock out of their collective mouths and to be quite honest - I don't see that happening.

Gingersnap
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
You are right, except until the new media is given the legitimacy of the NYT, et al, which it isn't yet, the people will still look to the old media for that legitimacy. I guess my question is whether they (the old media) are willing to fall on their swords for their ideology.

I'm guessing they will more or less. You can't spend years and years convincing yourself and everyone around you that there is a bright line difference between The Enquirer and The New York Times and then reverse course suddenly. How would you explain it?

I'll bet the younger newsies go back to muckraking in a big way. They will probably embrace that whole "question authority" thing. Their career colleagues can't do that since those people really are the authority now. I mean, the hippy day people pretty much are the establishment in government and schools.