PDA

View Full Version : My wife just got back from Haiti and unfortunately....

SarasotaRepub
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Hmmm...l'm shocked I tell you!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8119522)

garybeck http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-09-10 01:25 PM
Original message My wife just got back from Haiti and unfortunately....

she says there is no evidence of all the millions of dollars (billions?) that was donated to go down there and help. the people are hungry. not getting the treatment they need. medical supplies are scarce. the people are digging apart their own homes by hand, with shovels and wheelbarrows. a lot of the problems she saw existed before the earthquake, but everything is worse now. And she kept asking herself, "where did all that money go?" She said she's going to write a letter to Obama, not that it's his fault, (Of course, if Bu$h was president, guess what???) but he went on TV and said he promised that the money that gets donated will end up in the right hands. Clearly that didn't happen.

Glad I didn't waste a penny on Haiti.

djones520
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I didn't send any money either. The 8 hours a day pushing packages for missions flying aid down there was my contribution.

PoliCon
04-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I was in no way interested in sending money to Haiti. Our Church did contribute to a specific ministry that is operating in Haiti - but that's it. Anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of the history of that country was smart enough to NOT send money - which is to say that most of the DU did send money.

noonwitch
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I was in no way interested in sending money to Haiti. Our Church did contribute to a specific ministry that is operating in Haiti - but that's it. Anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of the history of that country was smart enough to NOT send money - which is to say that most of the DU did send money.

Donating through your church or denominational organization (like Catholic World Services) is a good way to ensure the money gets where it's supposed to get. If anyone donated to the Salvation Army, they shouldn't have any regrets about their donations, either.

It's the Red Cross that doesn't always have accountability. People should still donate to some of their appeals (especially blood for the local blood bank), but not to their international relief efforts aimed at corrupt nations like Haiti. Their hearts are in the right place, but it's better to give to an agency that already has a presence in those kind of politically unstable nations. Unfortunately, my church chose to give to the Red Cross, so I gave a little to the SA, because I know they are an accountable organization.

movie buff
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
My church has already has a Haiti mission in place for several years now, and a sister church there.
We'll be planning a missions trip there later this year, when it's a bit safer to go there.
The Dummy is too dim to realize that simply sending money to Haiti is not a good idea, as it will most likely wind up in the pockets of the corrupt politicians there. The way to truly make a positive difference is through the church missions groups and other such small movments which get food, medical supplies, etc., directly to the Haitian people, with the local beaurocrats having as little involvement as possible.

PoliCon
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
My church has already has a Haiti mission in place for several years now, and a sister church there.
We'll be planning a missions trip there later this year, when it's a bit safer to go there.
The Dummy is too dim to realize that simply sending money to Haiti is not a good idea, as it will most likely wind up in the pockets of the corrupt politicians there. The way to truly make a positive difference is through the church missions groups and other such small movments which get food, medical supplies, etc., directly to the Haitian people, with the local beaurocrats having as little involvement as possible.

They learned government from the french. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

lacarnut
04-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Donating through your church or denominational organization (like Catholic World Services) is a good way to ensure the money gets where it's supposed to get. If anyone donated to the Salvation Army, they shouldn't have any regrets about their donations, either.

It's the Red Cross that doesn't always have accountability. People should still donate to some of their appeals (especially blood for the local blood bank), but not to their international relief efforts aimed at corrupt nations like Haiti. Their hearts are in the right place, but it's better to give to an agency that already has a presence in those kind of politically unstable nations. Unfortunately, my church chose to give to the Red Cross, so I gave a little to the SA, because I know they are an accountable organization.

Amen to that. I refuse to give to the Red Cross and United Way after they tried to keep 50% of the 9/11 funds.

I give to the SA and the Food Bank here but refuse to give one dime to Haiti. We should have learned from past experiences what a crooked rat hole that country is; even the leaders despise us. They want our money but we are not allowed to fly the American flag there.

AmPat
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
They learned government from the fench. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

Obviously you meant "finch.":D Beat Linda #'s to it.

PoliCon
04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Obviously you meant "finch.":D Beat Linda #'s to it.

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/images/smilies/grits.gif

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 06:44 PM

That's a pretty broad statement to make about the intelligence of people who like to help others. You do realize that giving has as much to do with the intent in ones heart as with how the gift used don't you. An honest desire to help is pleasing to God.

PoliCon
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
That's a pretty broad statement to make about the intelligence of people who like to help others. You do realize that giving has as much to do with the intent in ones heart as with how the gift used don't you. An honest desire to help is pleasing to God.

and the way to hell is paved with good intentions.

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:33 PM
and the way to hell is paved with good intentions.

Ecclesiastes 11:1

SarasotaRepub
04-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Stop it you two...:mad:

You're confusing the DUers. ;)

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:40 PM

I though that was mine and Poli's job...

Besides they're already confused.:D

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 08:41 PM
When it is all said and done it is all Gods money any way. We all need to think long and hard about how we spend all of our money and I am directing that more to myself than anyone! We should be careful how we give and make it count to the best of our ability but in the end it goes where God wills it to go.

PoliCon
04-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Ecclesiastes 11:1

Do you honestly think God would have you giving to corrupt secular governments - knowing that all you are doing is enriching the fat cats while the poor and needy starve? God would have you be a good steward. Give, but give WISELY not idiotically.

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Do you honestly think God would have you giving to corrupt secular governments - knowing that all you are doing is enriching the fat cats while the poor and needy starve? God would have you be a good steward. Give, but give WISELY not idiotically.

I do not know that I am giving money to a secular government and enriching fat cats. I give my money to a charitable organization that I believe to be a worthy steward of my money. If by some chance they abuse my trust and do something with the money God directed me to give them, then God still looks good on my intention not on the result. (As a caveat - as long as I didn't give it with the intentions of impressing God with my generosity). I believe that this is what Ecclesiastes 11:1 is telling me.

On a side note, I honestly don't think that anyone gives money to anyone knowing that it will be misused. Do you know of anyone who gives way money knowing that it will not be used for what they intended it to be used for? Even those misguided people who send cash to Benny Hinn and his ilk are either doing so because they believe that their money will help the needy (a good thing) or they believe they are buying God's favor (a very unwise thing).

PoliCon
04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I do not know that I am giving money to a secular government and enriching fat cats. I give my money to a charitable organization that I believe to be a worthy steward of my money. If by some chance they abuse my trust and do something with the money God directed me to give them, then God still looks good on my intention not on the result. (As a caveat - as long as I didn't give it with the intentions of impressing God with my generosity). I believe that this is what Ecclesiastes 11:1 is telling me.

On a side note, I honestly don't think that anyone gives money to anyone knowing that it will be misused. Do you know of anyone who gives way money knowing that it will not be used for what they intended it to be used for? Even those misguided people who send cash to Benny Hinn and his ilk are either doing so because they believe that their money will help the needy (a good thing) or they believe they are buying God's favor (a very unwise thing).

Dude - like I said - give through ministries you know but only an idiot just sends money.

Kay
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM

They're confusing me too!
Some imposter smilie face is trying to pass himself off as PoliCon.

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
They're confusing me too!
Some imposter smilie face is trying to pass himself off as PoliCon.
You got used to the cracked bell to huh!:confused:

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Dude - like I said - give through ministries you know but only an idiot just sends money.

I misunderstood your post then. I didn't get that from the context. I apologize for misinterpreting.

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Wei Wei just sent money?:confused: