PDA

View Full Version : Yemeni child bride dies of bleeding after intercourse

PoliCon
04-09-2010, 09:58 PM
A 13-year-old Yemeni girl who was forced into marriage died five days after her wedding when she suffered a rupture in her sex organs and hemorrhaging, a local rights organization said today.

Ilham Mahdi al Assi died last Friday in a hospital in Yemen's Hajja province, the Shaqaeq Arab Forum for Human Rights said in a statement quoting a medical report.

She was wedded the previous Monday in a traditional arrangement known as a "swap marriage," in which the brother of the bride also married the sister of the groom, it said.

"The child Ilham has died as a martyr due to the abuse of children's lives in Yemen," the non-governmental organization said.

Her death was a "flagrant example" of the results of opposing the ban on child marriage in Yemen, which was leading to "killing child females," it said.

The marriage of young girls is widespread in Yemen, which has a strong tribal structure.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The death of a 12-year-old girl in childbirth in September illustrated the case of the country's "brides of death," many of whom were married off even before puberty.

Controversy heightened in Yemen recently over a law banning child marriage in the impoverished country through setting a minimum age of 17 for women and 18 for men.

Thousands of conservative women demonstrated outside parliament last month, answering a call by Islamist parties opposing the law.

A lesser number of women rallied at the same venue a few days later in support of the law, the implementation of which was blocked pending a request by a group of politicians for a review.

http://www.news.com.au/world/yemeni-child-bride-dies-of-bleeding-after-intercourse/story-e6frfkyi-1225851585843

Rockntractor
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
To sad to comment on.

malloc
04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
To sad to comment on.

Agreed.

marv
04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Some background........

From The Yemen Times (http://yementimes.com/defaultdet.aspx?SUB_ID=33841)...

From The Yemen Post (http://www.yemenpost.net/Detail123456789.aspx?ID=3&SubID=2050&MainCat=2)...

noonwitch
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Short of the Ann Coulter solution (invade their countries, convert the people to chrisitianity), what really can be done to spur change from this way of thinking about girls? Even if Yemen does change the law to reflect a consent age of 17 ( and I hope they do, because at least it's a start), that won't change the cultural/religious practice in a nation that is unable to enforce it's laws.

I wonder about the 13 year old's overall health. I hate to sound like a jaded social worker, but sadly, 13 year old girls get raped everyday in the USA and survive-not all of them receive medical attention afterwards. Either the" husband" was particularly brutal or the girl had some kind of condition that contributed to her death, other than the forced sexual activity. Or the girl had received ritual genital mutiliation-if the shaman/witch doctor/whatever sewed her vagina closed at a very young age (which happens in Africa more than the Arabian penninsula), she could have bled profusely when he ruptured it. That's more of an african cultural thing than a muslim thing, but you never know. The person who performed the mutilation could have done some damage that was further complicated by the force of the rape.

FlaGator
04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Short of the Ann Coulter solution (invade their countries, convert the people to chrisitianity), what really can be done to spur change from this way of thinking about girls? Even if Yemen does change the law to reflect a consent age of 17 ( and I hope they do, because at least it's a start), that won't change the cultural/religious practice in a nation that is unable to enforce it's laws.

I wonder about the 13 year old's overall health. I hate to sound like a jaded social worker, but sadly, 13 year old girls get raped everyday in the USA and survive-not all of them receive medical attention afterwards. Either the" husband" was particularly brutal or the girl had some kind of condition that contributed to her death, other than the forced sexual activity. Or the girl had received ritual genital mutiliation-if the shaman/witch doctor/whatever sewed her vagina closed at a very young age (which happens in Africa more than the Arabian penninsula), she could have bled profusely when he ruptured it. That's more of an african cultural thing than a muslim thing, but you never know. The person who performed the mutilation could have done some damage that was further complicated by the force of the rape.

Can it be changed short of the intervention of God? This behavior has been a part of their culture for time out of memory. As you pointed out, it's not just a Muslim thing it's an established part of their culture that will probably take as long to educate out of it as it did to establish it.

Gingersnap
04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I assumed it was due to genital mutilation. About quarter of their girls are severely mutilated. :mad:

namvet
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
13 years old. the rapists should be castrated

Megaguns91
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Amen.

NJCardFan
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Not in a culture where the woman who is raped is stoned to death.

noonwitch
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Can it be changed short of the intervention of God? This behavior has been a part of their culture for time out of memory. As you pointed out, it's not just a Muslim thing it's an established part of their culture that will probably take as long to educate out of it as it did to establish it.

I don't know, but I do pray for God's intervention on behalf of women in places like that.

Odysseus
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM

In the US, the rape of a 13-year-old girl is a felony. In Yemen, it's a sanctioned state of matrimony. The things that the US can (and won't) do to curb these kinds of outrages are simple: First, enforce a ban on emigration for the purpose of forced marriage. Some Muslim families contract for arranged marriages, sending their daughters overseas for the ceremony (often not even telling the daughter that her "vacation" is actually her wedding). It's more common in Europe (only because there's a much larger immigrant population), but a US ban would prevent the practice from becoming prevalent here. Penalties should include jail time for the parents, followed by deportation. And don't think that it can't happen in the US, it already has (http://bigjournalism.com/pgeller/2010/03/11/in-rifqa-bary-case-dhimmi-media-cheers-on-sharia-law-in-ohio/#more-34874). Second, any nation that condones such acts, such as Yemen, should immediately have all visas checked, with those for underage girls given special scrutiny. Yes, the apologists will scream, but let them go to court and justify child abduction and marriage. Third, provide sanctuary for battered children from Islamic families.

We can't change the way that the Muslims do business in their own countries, but we can keep them from exporting their practices here.

wilbur
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM

I would theorize that it would take a fundamental shift in the way parents culturally view and feel about their children. Any kind of religious belief, of course, is irrelevant unless it happens to facilitate that sort of shift. As it so happens, religious belief often encourages the opposite.

Seems to me, there will always be this sort of thing when children, especially girls, are viewed as social commodities to be traded by arranged marriage. And to get past that, I would theorize that its necessary to have a great deal more economic prosperity over there. It doesnt seem like you can have any kind of womens lib, until there are economic conditions that will allow them to acquire at least a bare minimum of necessities for survival, should they choose to rebel against the culture.

namvet
04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
the head of muslim families is entitled to do what he deems right. rape, incest or honor killings.

fettpett
04-13-2010, 01:44 PM
unfortuntaly we're talking changing a tradtion that has been in place for several thousand years. it's only in the last 60 years or so that sex or marriage between anyone under the age of 18 is looked down upon, Even in the US marriages between girls as young as 13 can happen.

I agree with Odysseus that the US should ban these kinds of things going on with those that are here that send their daughters over there. It wouldn't get rid of it, but help curb it.