PDA

View Full Version : USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of Teen Swimmers

bijou
04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
In a sex abuse scandal that some victims compare to what happened in the Catholic Church, at least 36 swimming coaches have been banned for life by the USA Swimming organization over the last 10 years because of sexual misconduct with teenagers they coached.
Brian Ross investigates on 20/20, Tonight 10/9c.

The coaches have molested, fondled and abused dozens of swimmers, according to court records and interviews conducted by ABC News for reports Friday on "World News with Diane Sawyer" and "20/20." ...http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/abc-news-investigation-usa-swimming-coaches-raped-molested/story?id=10322469

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
In a sex abuse scandal that some victims compare to what happened in the Catholic ChurchNo

Hindson was sentenced in 2008 to 33 years in federal prisonWhereas the Church never told the police, paid hush money to shut victims up, and made sure that paedophile priests were sent elsewhere to do it again..and again...and again...

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
No

Whereas the Church never told the police, paid hush money to shut victims up, and made sure that paedophile priests were sent elsewhere to do it again..and again...and again...

It doesn't take a great deal of consideration to see that the Church had more than a simplistic take on the situation and how to deal with it. We're talking about a timeline spanning from a day when people didn't speak of any kind of sex (jokingly referred to as a time when a lady wouldn't say 'toilet paper' outloud) to last week. The Church leaders were often in a position where everyone wanted the situation dealt with quietly. Which teenager or young adult wanted to be publicly known for having had sex with a priest in a big city much less a small town? As for the priests, the Church believes that all things are possible with God, and that most sins redeemed and people repaired. To act as if these people could not repent and live holy lives would be a lack of faith and a philosophical paradox.

Times change. Now we have beautiful blond school teachers having affairs with adolescent savages and suburban soccer dads complaining out loud that such teachers didn't exist when they were in junior high.

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 07:36 PM
It doesn't take a great deal of consideration to see that the Church had more than a simplistic take on the situation and how to deal with it. We're talking about a timeline spanning from a day when people didn't speak of any kind of sex (jokingly referred to as a time when a lady wouldn't say 'toilet paper' outloud) to last week. The Church leaders were often in a position where everyone wanted the situation dealt with quietly.

...the victims wanted their molestors caught and punished. Which never happened.

Which teenager or young adult wanted to be publicly known for having had sex with a priest in a big city much less a small town?

They did not have sex, you liberal creep, they were raped and molested.A liberal with BDS and a sympathiser for child molestors as well? Uh huh....

As for the priests, the Church believes that all things are possible with God, and that most sins redeemed and people repaired. To act as if these people could not repent and live holy lives would be a lack of faith and a philosophical paradox.

What they did was a heinous criminal offence.

RENDER UNTO CAESAR THAT WHICH IS CAESAR'S

Times change. Now we have beautiful blond school teachers having affairs with adolescent savages and suburban soccer dads complaining out loud that such teachers didn't exist when they were in junior high.

Straw man and a lie.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
...the victims wanted their molestors caught and punished. Which never happened. .

Some of them did and some of them wanted it handled quietly. Sometimes it was parents who wanted the matter pursued and victims who just wanted it to go away. While you are entitled to read these reports selectively, it's dishonest to them declare that the others don't exist.

They did not have sex, you liberal creep, they were raped and molested.A liberal with BDS and a sympathiser for child molestors as well? Uh huh....

Some of them did. The vast majority of these cases were statutory rape, not child molestation. There really is a difference. There is a reason why we have a number of terms for such things, each with its own meaning.

What they did was a heinous criminal offence. .

Raping a child is heinous.

Straw man and a lie.

As much as I despise the Roman Church , honesty and fairness are always preferable to the kind of dishonestly you appear to want to engage in.

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Some of them did. The vast majority of these cases were statutory rape, not child molestation. Child molestation and statutory rape are the same thing,...both are sexual exploitation of a minor and both are felonies.

There really is a difference. There is a reason why we have a number of terms for such things, each with its own meaning. I have one term for them...rock spiders.

As much as I despise the Roman Church , honesty and fairness are always preferable to the kind of dishonestly you appear to want to engage in.

Honesty and fairness are not words a fool suffering from BDS has any business using.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Child molestation and statutory rape are the same thing,...both are sexual exploitation of a minor and both are felonies.

Statutory rape is sex with a minor which would be legal if you were within 3 years age of each other, of if you had been married with parental consent. Now explain to me how that is the same as child molestation. Then explain it to every woman who married a soldier when she was 14-17.

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Statutory rape is sex with a minor which would be legal if you were within 3 years age of each other, of if you had been married with parental consent.

Sdx with a minor is child molestation. Period.

Now explain to me how that is the same as child molestation. Then explain it to every woman who married a soldier when she was 14-17.

Just when was it legal in the US for a fourteen year old to marry? :confused:

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:02 PM

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/38830087/Loretta+Lynn+illus5_2LorrettaLynn20cr300h.jpg

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Sdx with a minor is child molestation. Period.

In many states a parent can give consent to a marriage between an adult and a 14 year old and it is legal. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin.

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 08:10 PM
It would appear to me that Mr. nova is trying to find a way to justify the priests having sex with little boys. perhaps he is a NAMBLA member.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
In many states a parent can give consent to a marriage between an adult and a 14 year old and it is legal. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin.

Some of them did and some of them wanted it handled quietly. Sometimes it was parents who wanted the matter pursued and victims who just wanted it to go away. While you are entitled to read these reports selectively, it's dishonest to them declare that the others don't exist.

Some of them did. The vast majority of these cases were statutory rape, not child molestation. There really is a difference. There is a reason why we have a number of terms for such things, each with its own meaning.

Raping a child is heinous.

I think it's kind of disquieting that you seem to be trying to defend child molestation by calling it another name.
Is the law on statutory rape a bit too harsh? Yeah. For example, an 18 year old shouldn't go to jail for having sex with a 17 or 16 year old girl. But a grown man touching or having sex or any other sort of sexual activity with a 12-16 year old is child molestation

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Alabama With parental consent, parties can marry at age fourteen. However, this parental consent is not required if the minor has already been married. (Other statutory laws apply.) Common law marriage is recognized.

Arizona The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, parties can marry at the age of sixteen. Parties can marry at a younger age, but with both parental and judicial consent.

Arkansas .... females can marry at age sixteen and under the age of sixteen can marry with parental consent and can receive a license by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child.

California The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, there are no age limits regarding the minimum age for a couple to marry. (Other statutory laws apply.) California offers some spousal rights for registered same-sex domestic partners.

Hawaii With parental consent and/or the consent of a judge, parties can marry at age fifteen.

Kansas With parental consent and/or the consent of a judge, males can marry at age fourteen and females at age twelve.

Massachusetts The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent and/or the consent of a judge, males can marry at fourteen years of age and females can marry at the age of twelve. On May 17, 2004, Massachusetts became the first state to recognize same-sex marriage. Common law marriage is not recognized.
Michigan The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, parties can marry at age sixteen. Common law marriage is not recognized.

Mississippi The age of consent is twenty-one. With parental consent and/or the consent of the judge, males can marry at age seventeen and females can marry at age fifteen.

Missouri The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, parties can marry at age fifteen and younger parties may receive a license by reason of special circumstances. Common law marriage is not recognized.

New Hampshire The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent and the consent of the judge, males can marry at age fourteen and females can marry at age thirteen. Common law marriage is not recognized.

South Carolina The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, males can marry at age sixteen and females at age fourteen and younger parties may receive a license by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child. Common law marriage is recognized.

Texas The age of consent is eighteen. With parental and judicial consent, parties can marry but not below the age of fourteen for males and thirteen for females. Common law marriage is recognized.
Utah The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, parties can marry at age fourteen. However, this parental consent is not required if the minor has already been married. I

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
It would appear to me that Mr. nova is trying to find a way to justify the priests having sex with little boys. perhaps he is a NAMBLA member.

Yeah, well people are kind of counting on people being afraid of such accusations when they don't go along with gross distortions and blanket accusations. The ACLU is often accused of being sympathetic to NAMBLA, the KKK, and the unpopular speech of various others when they demand that truth, logic, and the constitution rather than stupidity and emotion rule the day.

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, well people are kind of counting on people being afraid of such accusations when they don't go along with gross distortions and blanket accusations. The ACLU is often accused of being sympathetic to NAMBLA, the KKK, and the unpopular speech of various others when they demand that truth, logic, and the constitution rather than stupidity and emotion rule the day.
Are you a NAMBLA member?

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Your point re marriages is taken. Thank you.

The ACLU is often accused of being sympathetic to NAMBLA, the KKK, and the unpopular speech of various others when they demand that truth, logic, and the constitution rather than stupidity and emotion rule the day.

The Constitution is the supreme law of the land, is it not?

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I think it's kind of disquieting that you seem to be trying to defend child molestation by calling it another name.
Is the law on statutory rape a bit too harsh? Yeah. For example, an 18 year old shouldn't go to jail for having sex with a 17 or 16 year old girl. But a grown man touching or having sex or any other sort of sexual activity with a 12-16 year old is child molestation

Once again I will tell you that I am not condoning the behavior, I'm just explaining the law.

Historically (and since you seem to think that offering evidence of something is related to approving of something which I am not doing) marriage between men and younger women, children by today's standards, was very common. Even 60 years ago it wasn't thought to be that big of a deal. In the case of Jerry Lee Lewis there was more outrage that he married his cousin than then fact that she was 13. In the days when large families was considered a positive, women married young because they needed the few extra years to birth children. Back in the time of Christ Mary was probably only 13 or 14 when she gave birth to Jesus.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM

I can assure you that I don't think any more highly of a 30 year old farmer having sex with a 15 year old girl than I do a 30 year old priest having sex with a 15 year old boy or girl in his care simply because the former scenario claims respectability through marriage. In both cases you have a young person being violated by an authority figure. Which brings me to the point, it's the abuse of authority (be it your parent, your senior, or your monsignor) that is the real issue here.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
The Constitution is the supreme law of the land, is it not?

I'm not really clear on that. If the Constitution says that treaties with other nations are the highest law, then it seems to turn into a chicken and egg thing. But with good intentions I would say that the Constitution is indeed the highest law of the land for our purposes.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Once again I will tell you that I am not condoning the behavior, I'm just explaining the law.

Historically (and since you seem to think that offering evidence of something is related to approving of something which I am not doing) marriage between men and younger women, children by today's standards, was very common. Even 60 years ago it wasn't thought to be that big of a deal. In the case of Jerry Lee Lewis there was more outrage that he married his cousin than then fact that she was 13. In the days when large families was considered a positive, women married young because they needed the few extra years to birth children. Back in the time of Christ Mary was probably only 13 or 14 when she gave birth to Jesus.

My post was directed at Nova.
I personally think Jerry Lee Lewis should've went to jail. As far as I've heard their marriage was a secret between the two of them, I don't think he had parental consent.

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I personally think Jerry Lee Lewis should've went to jail. As far as I've heard their marriage was a secret between the two of them, I don't think he had parental consent.

But you are looking at things through the eye of today's norms and not the norms of 60+ years ago. If you were born in the 30's or before you would probably see things differently. We are both products of the societies and eras in which we grew up so it is very hard for us to judge rightly the right and wrongs of another time.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Hell, she was only his second cousin once removed. I am so cross related to everyone in my hometown it's not funny. My own first cousin, whom I call "my cousin brother" is my first cousin on my mother's side and my fourth cousin on my father's side. My parents are fifth cousins. My first cousin T (cousin brother's acutal brother) is married to his third cousin. My father's great grandparents were second cousins. My maternal grandmother's family has been marrying my father's family for 400 years. It's a wonder I don't have three eyes and a tail. And you know what the real kicker is? The ONLY retarded person in our family that I can find, was born to someone who married outside the clan.

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Hell, she was only his second cousin once removed. I am so cross related to everyone in my hometown it's not funny. My own first cousin, whom I call "my cousin brother" is my first cousin on my mother's side and my fourth cousin on my father's side. My parents are fifth cousins. My first cousin T (cousin brother's acutal brother) is married to his third cousin. My father's great grandparents were second cousins. My maternal grandmother's family has been marrying my father's family for 400 years. It's a wonder I don't have three eyes and a tail. And you know what the real kicker is? The ONLY retarded person in our family that I can find, was born to someone who married outside the clan.

You're Scottish aren't you?

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
You're Scottish aren't you?

Yes. LOL!

FlaGator
04-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes. LOL!

It's interesting what our posts say about us. ;)

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I personally think Jerry Lee Lewis should've GONE to jail.

I see English wasn't your strong suit.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Are you a NAMBLA member?

Why of course I am. I'm also a NAZI and a Klansman because I stand up for their freedom of speech. I must hate Mexicans because I oppose illegal immigration. I'm a Zionist because I support Israel. I'm a racist, because I don't put up with a lot of bullshit out of the NAACP , CAIR, and SPLC, and I'm both black and a white supremacist. I hate Mormons, Glenn Beck (mentally ill), Amy Goodman (America basher), Naomi Klein (Global Warming), Avi Lewis (Canadian hippie), Howard Zinn (America Hater), Frances Welsing (Stupid Afrocrentric bullshit pump) , and I regret that I have yet to urinate on the graves of several famous people whom I despised when they were alive.

Novaheart
04-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Good manners wouldn't appear to be yours.

Rockntractor
04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Why of course I am. I'm also a NAZI and a Klansman because I stand up for their freedom of speech. I must hate Mexicans because I oppose illegal immigration. I'm a Zionist because I support Israel. I'm a racist, because I don't put up with a lot of bullshit out of the NAACP , CAIR, and SPLC, and I'm both black and a white supremacist. I hate Mormons, Glenn Beck (mentally ill), Amy Goodman (America basher), Naomi Klein (Global Warming), Avi Lewis (Canadian hippie), Howard Zinn (America Hater), Frances Welsing (Stupid Afrocrentric bullshit pump) , and I regret that I have yet to urinate on the graves of several famous people whom I despised when they were alive.

The only one that surprises me here is that you don't believe in global warming! Perhaps I just misread that.

Sonnabend
04-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Good manners wouldn't appear to be yours.

:rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-11-2010, 12:06 AM

No Habla ingles.

AmPat
04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The ACLU is often accused of being sympathetic to NAMBLA, the KKK, and the unpopular speech of various others when they demand that truth, logic, and the constitution rather than stupidity and emotion rule the day.

You cannot have ACLU and the words truth, logic and the Constitution in the same sentence unless the piece is about "How the ACLU distorts, Twists and Lies about the Constitution."

AmPat
04-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Point taken, grammar noted.( Linda#'s, dock this child for improper grammar).:eek:

noonwitch
04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Sonnabend;258844]Child molestation and statutory rape are the same thing,...both are sexual exploitation of a minor and both are felonies.
QUOTE]

Every state has different laws, and degrees. In my state the legal definition of "penetration" applies to female offenders who force a man of any age, or manipulate a boy, into full coitus, so a first degree Criminal Sexual Conduct charge can be made in those cases, the same way it is against a man who forces a woman or girl in a similar manner. This may not necessarily be true in all states.

Also, in Michigan, there are 4 degrees of sexual misconduct, and 4th degree is a misdemeanor-the typical 4th degree case is a drunk at a tittie bar who forgets the "You can look, but you better not touch" rule.
1st degree is rape, of any aged perpetrator with any aged victim. The mandatory sentencing guidelines call for a minimum of 20 years. 2nd degree involves a similar amount of force, but penetration isn't necessarily involved. 3rd degree involves penetration, with some willingness on the victim's part (date rape, 25 year olds messing with the babysitter kind of thing, too). It's also a frequent plea arrangement for original 1st degree charges, if the victim starts equivocating prior to trial. That way the felony is established, the registry is involved and any second offense will bring a 20 to life sentence.

Every state is different.

FlaGator
04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
No Habla ingles.

Please stop quoting two messages and answering one. Use a little netique when posting for the sake of clarity.