PDA

View Full Version : What were the Republican presidents' views on abortion?

The Californian
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I realize that many of the Republican presidents are pro-life, so during their campaigns for office how did they deal with the issue of abortions after the Roe v. Wade ruling?

Did Reagan, Bush Sr., & Bush Jr. ever campaign on reversing Roe v. Wade or did they just oppose it but not propose reversing Roe v. Wade?

wilbur
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I realize that many of the Republican presidents are pro-life, so during their campaigns for office how did they deal with the issue of abortions after the Roe v. Wade ruling?

Did Reagan, Bush Sr., & Bush Jr. ever campaign on reversing Roe v. Wade or did they just oppose it but not propose reversing Roe v. Wade?

They can't reverse it - it was a supreme court decision. It would have to reversed by the supreme court. What they do is try to stack the court with pro-life judges. In other words, they're hoping for some "judicial activism".

The Californian
04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
They can't reverse it - it was a supreme court decision. It would have to reversed by the supreme court. What they do is try to stack the court with pro-life judges. In other words, they're hoping for some "judicial activism".So, while I assume that Reagan, Bush Sr., or Bush Jr. were all pro-life, did they ever suggest proposing laws to limit or abortions or did they just oppose it and not do anything about it?

Rockntractor
04-11-2010, 06:52 PM
So, while I assume that Reagan, Bush Sr., or Bush Jr. were all pro-life, did they ever suggest proposing laws to limit or abortions or did they just oppose it and not do anything about it?

Most of them have fought to prevent public funding for abortion.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Nixon--Pro-Life except in cases of rape or interracial couplings.
Ford--Pro-Choice
Reagan--Pro-Life, but as governor pro-choice.
Bush, Sr--Pro-Life
Bush Jr--Pro- Life.

PoliCon
04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
They can't reverse it - it was a supreme court decision. It would have to reversed by the supreme court. What they do is try to stack the court with pro-life judges. In other words, they're hoping for some "judicial activism".

right because seeing the unborn as people - that's serious activism. :rolleyes: FUCKTARD.

PoliCon
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
So, while I assume that Reagan, Bush Sr., or Bush Jr. were all pro-life, did they ever suggest proposing laws to limit or abortions or did they just oppose it and not do anything about it?

The issue is one that must be ultimately dealt with in the courts. SO - The attempt has always been to appoint judges that would recognize the unborn are human beings too. Remember - The president cannot make laws - but he can set policy and the policy under Reagan and both Bushs has been to deny funding for abortions. Of course Clinton and Obama both being total scumbags have reversed those policies.

wilbur
04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
right because seeing the unborn as people - that's serious activism. :rolleyes: FUCKTARD.

Absolutely

Rockntractor
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
The issue is one that must be ultimately dealt with in the courts. SO - The attempt has always been to appoint judges that would recognize the unborn are human beings too. Remember - The president cannot make laws - but he can set policy and the policy under Reagan and both Bushs has been to deny funding for abortions. Of course Clinton and Obama both being total scumbags have reversed those policies.
Can't make laws?

FlaGator
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Actually there are hoping to erase the previous act of judicial activism by returning the option to the states were in belonged in the first place.

NJCardFan
04-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Actually there are hoping to erase the previous act of judicial activism by returning the option to the states were in belonged in the first place.

Bingbingbing!

And someone named The Californian starting off with a bang, huh? Since they asked specifically about Republican presidents it's safe to assume they are Democrat/liberal and maybe even a DU troll.

fettpett
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Bush 43 passed a law that made partial birth abortion illegal, however it's been put on hold while it goes through the Court system.

The biggest problem that us Pro-Lifer's have is that it wasn't a law that was passed and ruled on. It was completely bullshit opinion by the SC. even Debra Roe came out against the ruling and she hosted a Radio show and talked about her mistake.

fettpett
04-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Can't make laws?

Presidents can't make laws, that is the role of Congress. However they can introduce legislation and set the tone.

Rockntractor
04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Presidents can't make laws, that is the role of Congress. However they can introduce legislation and set the tone.

Tell that to the EPA and dept of energy that are directly controlled by the president. No they have no constitutional authority to make laws but they don't let the constitution stop them from doing anything. Executive order anyone.

Kay
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Bingbingbing!

And someone named The Californian starting off with a bang, huh? Since they asked specifically about Republican presidents it's safe to assume they are Democrat/liberal and maybe even a DU troll.

That was my thought too.

fettpett
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Tell that to the EPA and dept of energy that are directly controlled by the president. No they have no constitutional authority to make laws but they don't let the constitution stop them from doing anything. Executive order anyone.

yeah, thats true...unfortunately.

NJCardFan
04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Bush 43 passed a law that made partial birth abortion illegal, however it's been put on hold while it goes through the Court system.

The biggest problem that us Pro-Lifer's have is that it wasn't a law that was passed and ruled on. It was completely bullshit opinion by the SC. even Debra Roe came out against the ruling and she hosted a Radio show and talked about her mistake.
And the left went bonkers. Partial birth is as reprehensible as it gets. This is what their hero Tiller was doing.

fettpett
04-11-2010, 11:03 PM
And the left went bonkers. Partial birth is as reprehensible as it gets. This is what their hero Tiller was doing.

It's despicable, letting a baby come out then either cutting the back of the neck or burning them with acid. It's pure and simple infanticide, and anyone that argues otherwise is a sick bastard.

Kay
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
It's despicable, letting a baby come out then either cutting the back of the neck or burning them with acid. It's pure and simple infanticide, and anyone that argues otherwise is a sick bastard.

Murder is the only word for it.

And the same sick bastards that argue it's not, will protest night and day to oppose the
execution of a monster like Charles Mason or worse. I'll never comprehend the screwed
up values of the left.

M21
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Republican Presidents haven't done a thing to move the ball towards reducing abortions. The Pro-Life movement gets played every election cycle. It's all talk and no action and we accept it. That's the way it's always been.

NJCardFan
04-12-2010, 01:36 AM

And the same sick bastards that argue it's not, will protest night and day to oppose the
execution of a monster like Charles Mason or worse. I'll never comprehend the screwed
up values of the left.

Even worse is their stance on the death penalty. Consider this backward thinking: They find the execution of murderers to be cruel and inhuman yet they can't kill innocent babies fast enough which includes partial birth abortion. I've yet to hear this explained to me logically.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Even worse is their stance on the death penalty. Consider this backward thinking: They find the execution of murderers to be cruel and inhuman yet they can't kill innocent babies fast enough which includes partial birth abortion. I've yet to hear this explained to me logically.

1) Some criminals deserve to die--For example the Ted Bundys of the world.
2) Partial Birth Abortion is disgusting and immoral.

Constitutionally Speaking
04-12-2010, 05:21 AM

Returning to Constitutional principles is NOT judicial activism.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Returning to Constitutional principles is NOT judicial activism.

It is if you happen to like what that return would overturn apparently! ;)

linda22003
04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Bingbingbing!

I just assumed it was a college student with a homework assignment. ;)

noonwitch
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
It should be pointed out that George HW Bush was pro choice until he became Reagan's VP candidate. He ran in the 1980 GOP primary as a pro-choice, moderate republican. Barbara Bush continued to be a person who supported choice, despite her husband's change of view on the matter.

Prior to the 1980 general election, the Bush family was a proud supporter of Planned Parenthood.

wilbur
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM

up values of the left.

The vast majority of pro-choicers also support restrictions on partial birth abortions.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
It should be pointed out that George HW Bush was pro choice until he became Reagan's VP candidate. He ran in the 1980 GOP primary as a pro-choice, moderate republican. Barbara Bush continued to be a person who supported choice, despite her husband's change of view on the matter.

Prior to the 1980 general election, the Bush family was a proud supporter of Planned Parenthood.

You say that like someone here is a fan of Bush 41 . . . .

linda22003
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
The elder Bush was behind enough contraceptive legislation during his brief time in Congress that his nickname was "rubbers" (bestowed on him by Wilbur Mills).

04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Republican Presidents haven't done a thing to move the ball towards reducing abortions. The Pro-Life movement gets played every election cycle. It's all talk and no action and we accept it. That's the way it's always been.

I would respectfully disagree here. The supreme court appointments of Bush 43 were significant steps toward removing this blight. If we had only elected the other guy instead of B.O., we would likely now (and especially after Stevens is gone) have a court that would reverse Roe V Wade and also would secure our first and second amendment rights for decades to come.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I would respectfully disagree here. The supreme court appointments of Bush 43 were significant steps toward removing this blight. If we had only elected the other guy instead of B.O., we would likely now (and especially after Stevens is gone) have a court that would reverse Roe V Wade and also would secure our first and second amendment rights for decades to come.

appointments? to the supreme court? Unless I'm mistaken - he only made one.

Rockntractor
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
appointments? to the supreme court? Unless I'm mistaken - he only made one.

President George W. Bush nominated John G. Roberts, Jr to serve as Chief Justice, and Samuel Alito, Jr to serve as an Associate Justice. Both of those nominations were confirmed by the Senate.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
President George W. Bush nominated John G. Roberts, Jr to serve as Chief Justice, and Samuel Alito, Jr to serve as an Associate Justice. Both of those nominations were confirmed by the Senate.

DOH . . . Bush 41 only appointed one . . . . Bush 43 did get two. Sorry. Not used to seeing W referred to by his presidential number. :o

04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
DOH . . . Bush 41 only appointed one . . . . Bush 43 did get two. Sorry. Not used to seeing W referred to by his presidential number. :o

You doubted ME?????? :D

Rockntractor
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
You doubted ME?????? :D

He has obviously been consuming adult beverages!:rolleyes:

Big Guy
04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
The vast majority of pro-choicers also support restrictions on partial birth abortions.

That's the problem they only support "restrictions" they don't support a total ban on partial birth abortion. Most of them do however, support a total ban on the death penalty.