PDA

View Full Version : False Racism Charge Too Much For One Man: Suicide.

Gingersnap
04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Man kills himself after 'racist' joke backfires
10:35 AM Monday Apr 12, 2010 Facebook

When Roy Amor, 61, saw immigration officers outside his clinic, he joked to a black colleague, who was a close friend, that he "better hide", according to the Mail on Sunday.

The black colleague was not offended, but someone in the office overhead the comment and made a formal complaint to the company, Opcare, which makes prosthetic limbs.

Mr Amor, from Lancashire in the United Kingdom, was suspended, and was said to have been devastated.

Five days later, he received an email from his bosses. Without even being able to get through the whole email, Mr Amor sent back that he could not deal with the matter because he was too upset.

He shot himself that afternoon.

"Roy made a joke along the lines that his friend had better hide in case the officers found him," a friend told the Mail on Sunday.

"It was nothing more than a good-humoured joke but apparently someone overheard it and made an official complaint because they thought it was racist.

"Roy was devastated when he was suspended and was worried he might lose his job."

Mr Amor left three suicide notes describing his despair.

His black colleague is understood to have attended Mr Amor's funeral.

Opcare's chief executive, Michael O'Byrne, confirmed that Mr Amor had been suspended over the joke. "It's an enormous tragedy and we are all in mourning. I knew Roy personally and he was an excellent technician." Asked if he had any regrets about suspending him, Mr O'Byrne replied: "I don't want to comment further."

Mr Amor had worked at the clinic for 30 years and leaves his wife of 39 years and a grown up son and daughter.

Well, I certainly hope that the company busybody is happy now. The "racist" is dead, the black man has just lost his friend, a woman and her two children are now without husband and father, and the compnay has lost a good employee.

Good job!

nzherald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10637874)

Megaguns91
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Doubt you'll see a DUmmy thread on this, and if you do, it'll be something along the lines of "Serves him right!".

Poor guy. All this seriousness is turning into ridiculousness.

FlaGator
04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, I certainly hope that the company busybody is happy now. The "racist" is dead, the black man has just lost his friend, a woman and her two children are now without husband and father, and the compnay has lost a good employee.

Good job!

nzherald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10637874)

Perhaps someone should charge her with harassment and bullying.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I have a neighbor named Lorenzo and I tease him all the time that I'm gonna call ICE on him and have him sent back to Mexico. What's really funny is that he's polish! :D

Phillygirl
04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a neighbor named Lorenzo and I tease him all the time that I'm gonna call ICE on him and have him sent back to Mexico. What's really funny is that he's polish! :D

It's not funny if you work for Opcare.

Novaheart
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, I certainly hope that the company busybody is happy now.

I'm all for having a word on the subject of hypersensitivity in our society (translation: why aren't they giving the name of the weasel who started this?) but at the same time, you do have to wonder how stable a person was that something like this would trigger suicide. Yes, I am aware of the cracked vase theory, I'm not talking about liability I'm talking about impact.

I am so glad that I don't work for a major corporation anymore. I got so sick of this kind of passive-aggressive bullshit in the workplace. Workplace rules on deportment are supposed to prevent a hostile workplace, but no matter where you go there are people who take one look at the values and procedures and see weapons.

Speedy
04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I wish all these busy bodies would stay the fuck out of other peoples business. I hate these fuckers that think it is their place to be offended for someone else.

Novaheart
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I wish all these busy bodies would stay the fuck out of other peoples business. I hate these fuckers that think it is their place to be offended for someone else.

I don't mind dealing directly with someone who is offended for himself, assuming he really is and isn't just being offended to be a pain. What I can't (and won't) stand is someone being offended on behalf of someone else, or worse "if" someone else "might be offended".

We had a case here where some people wanted to name their new business The Plantation Inn, because to them the building looked like "a plantation house" (aka Hollywood plantation house, but I digress). Two crazy old cat women objected in the newspaper because they thought it "might be offensives to African Americans" . I kid you not. I wrote a two word response to those women, but they never published it. So they ended up naming it something even dumber and more cliché : Patriot House.

lacarnut
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
A similar stituation occured to my old boss. He wound up getting a letter put in his file. I wanted to whip the rat's ass but my friend did not want any more trouble.

PoliCon
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
It's not funny if you work for Opcare.

what is opcare? :confused:

Novaheart
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
what is opcare? :confused:

They are a vendor for the British NHS according to the internets they sell falsies.

Novaheart
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
A similar stituation occured to my old boss. He wound up getting a letter put in his file. I wanted to whip the rat's ass but my friend did not want any more trouble.

They get away with it because the working public has allowed it. The workers were well intended when they accepted that there needed to be a more respectful workplace, one which tolerated less bullying and animosity. The problem arose when the schoolmarms got involved and elevated the values of the safer more comfortable workplace to a VP level and with it the offenses to capital crimes. What were accepted as good ideas by most workers were soon turned into lethal weapons.

Which is why most corporate workplaces are 80% female. Women will put up with this kind of shit while most men would rather shovel shit than put up with bullshit like this that has everyone walking on eggshells.

Gingersnap
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Which is why most corporate workplaces are 80% female. Women will put up with this kind of shit while most men would rather shovel shit than put up with bullshit like this that has everyone walking on eggshells.

Women know how to use the policies and regulations to their advantage. I've seen many instances of women making false accusations just because they knew the investigation process would be painful for their victim even if the accusation was later dropped.

If you want really high level amusement, you can't beat a two-woman accusation process. I once had a terrible employee (who I inherited). She got away with awful things because she was A.) black, B.) crippled, and C.) older. She caused havoc by accusing men she disliked of harassment (never proven).

She made the critical mistake of accusing me of racism one time. She seriously thought that I'd lay down the way everybody else had. I'm still living large here and she's.........not here. ;)

NJCardFan
04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't mind dealing directly with someone who is offended for himself, assuming he really is and isn't just being offended to be a pain. What I can't (and won't) stand is someone being offended on behalf of someone else, or worse "if" someone else "might be offended".

We had a case here where some people wanted to name their new business The Plantation Inn, because to them the building looked like "a plantation house" (aka Hollywood plantation house, but I digress). Two crazy old cat women objected in the newspaper because they thought it "might be offensives to African Americans" . I kid you not. I wrote a two word response to those women, but they never published it. So they ended up naming it something even dumber and more cliché : Patriot House.

I take this a step further into the realm of ridiculousness. A couple of years ago the Philadelphia Phillies set up a AAA team in Lehigh Valley, PA. Because of the area is a big steel mill area, the team was named the Iron Pigs which is a play on the word pig iron. They held a contest to name the team mascot, which, as you might expect, is a pig wearing a baseball uniform. Well, the winning name was Pork Chop. Fits, no? Well, 1 man, a Puerto Rican was offended because he said the term pork chop is a slur against Puerto Ricans so the team caved and renamed the mascot Ferrous. Now, I grew up in a town with a lot of Puerto Ricans and am friends with many Puerto Ricans and I asked all of them if they ever heard of a Puerto Rican slur pork chop and they all to a man and woman said no.

Novaheart
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I take this a step further into the realm of ridiculousness. A couple of years ago the Philadelphia Phillies set up a AAA team in Lehigh Valley, PA. Because of the area is a big steel mill area, the team was named the Iron Pigs which is a play on the word pig iron. They held a contest to name the team mascot, which, as you might expect, is a pig wearing a baseball uniform. Well, the winning name was Pork Chop. Fits, no? Well, 1 man, a Puerto Rican was offended because he said the term pork chop is a slur against Puerto Ricans so the team caved and renamed the mascot Ferrous. Now, I grew up in a town with a lot of Puerto Ricans and am friends with many Puerto Ricans and I asked all of them if they ever heard of a Puerto Rican slur pork chop and they all to a man and woman said no.

Never in my life have I heard "pork chop" used as a racial or ethnic epithet. I can only guess that the man was fat as a child, and thought he was being called pork chop because he was PR? Or perhaps "you're so ugly your mother had to tie a pork chop around your neck to get the dog to play with you..." got shortened to pork chop for him.

Although, I'm from the Eastern Shore and there are some things said there I have never heard anywhere else. I suppose it's possible "pork chop" is an epithet in some microculture. I know some black people call each other "chicken head" but I don't think anyone would consider it a racial epithet.

AmPat
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

I blame the Philles and all who caved into this idiocy. I would have told Pork Chop to hit the door or I'd throw his fat butt out.

CueSi
04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Women know how to use the policies and regulations to their advantage. I've seen many instances of women making false accusations just because they knew the investigation process would be painful for their victim even if the accusation was later dropped.

If you want really high level amusement, you can't beat a two-woman accusation process. I once had a terrible employee (who I inherited). She got away with awful things because she was A.) black, B.) crippled, and C.) older. She caused havoc by accusing men she disliked of harassment (never proven).

She made the critical mistake of accusing me of racism one time. She seriously thought that I'd lay down the way everybody else had. I'm still living large here and she's.........not here. ;)

This happened to a friend of mine... nice guy, bisexual and in the closet @ work, had a g/f (who knew he was bisexual). A girl on the job (his supervisor) wanted him. He rebuffed her- - she accused him of harassment. Me AND his girlfriend pressed him to out himself to turn the game back on her. We told him that if he wants to survive he had to play dirty. . . LBGT trumps gender almost every time, and we thought it was worth a shot.

He refused and lost his job. He found out later that one of the muckety mucks in HR was also bisexual and probably would have gone to bat for him.

~QC

Gingersnap
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
This happened to a friend of mine... nice guy, bisexual and in the closet @ work, had a g/f (who knew he was bisexual). A girl on the job (his supervisor) wanted him. He rebuffed her- - she accused him of harassment. Me AND his girlfriend pressed him to out himself to turn the game back on her. We told him that if he wants to survive he had to play dirty. . . LBGT trumps gender almost every time, and we thought it was worth a shot.

He refused and lost his job. He found out later that one of the muckety mucks in HR was also bisexual and probably would have gone to bat for him.

~QC

Bi is the new Gay but without any teeth. Gays hate Bis for being posers and Hets don't see the point.