PDA

View Full Version : A 4 Party System

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-13-2010, 03:32 AM
I think a system of 4 (or 5) Major Parties would be better than we have now-- 4 party system wherein the other parties are actually listened to, unlike today where a 3rd party candidate has sadly no real chance of winning the (Presidential) election. I think they should be the Democratic Party (which has it's own spin on Liberalism), The Republican Party (built around people like McCain and Romney, who have their own spin on Conservatism), The Conservative Party (founded solely on conservative principles and ideas), and a Liberal party (founded solely on liberal principles and ideas), and finally a Libertarian party (for Libertarian purists). The GOP and Dems would act as ''moderate'' parties, for those who are either center-right or center-left, with the other two or three the party of choice for more ideological people.

It may be a stupid idea, and might work better on paper than in reality--but I think would reduce the partisan infighting that exists as there would be four main parties to fit almost every viewpoint.

FeebMaster
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
We already have more than four parties. People are only interested in voting for two.

What magic wand were you planning to wave to change the current state of affairs?

PoliCon
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Do you seriously expect the political class to weaken their power and surrender control like that?

NJCardFan
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
How about a no party system? How about forcing candidates to run on the issues and not rely on party support? Where I live we're having our mayoral elections. These elections are non-partisan so the candidates are forced to run on their merits. This is the way all elections should be.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
How about a no party system? How about forcing candidates to run on the issues and not rely on party support? Where I live we're having our mayoral elections. These elections are non-partisan so the candidates are forced to run on their merits. This is the way all elections should be.

I'd like that too. It just seems like none of the major parties really cater to their core constituents desires. The GOP has since Reagan not really run truly conservative candidate (they've ran conservative-lite candidates but when you want conservatism and you get the 'lite' version it's not the same). Even leaders who at one time were at the forefront of conservative ideology--Newt Gingrich for example--will side with liberal Democrats over truly conservative third party candidates.
Same with the Democratic Party. Their liberal base is much farther to the left than even Obama and many on the far far left hate him for not ''going far enough'' and think he's ''more of the same.''

When members of birth parties aren't happy with the state of the parties it's time for a change.

I, like you, would like a society where there was no party, no party line, no partisanism, just the people voting for a candidate for his merits and words. Not because of whether he has D or R next to his name.

Molon Labe
04-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Do you seriously expect the political class to weaken their power and surrender control like that?

So the political class controls things?