PDA

View Full Version : It's sad.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I wasn't alive when the Berlin Wall came down, and I was only a year old when the USSR fell but I can imagine for most Americans--especially those who had lived through most of the Cold War--both were incredibly triumphant moments and it must've been great that decades of fear and tension were over. However, in the jubilation of the moment, as those in the west celebrated the end of their enemy--Communism--a new enemy that I doubt many (though I'm sure there were some) in 1991 was waiting just in the midst--Terrorism.

It's sad that the last few generations have never known more than a decade at most of peace; I'm not a peacenik, and I realize war is just as much a part of the human condition as is famine or poverty; they are all tragedies but are and always will be a part of human life. It's just sad that when we finally seemed to have defeated our enemy after decades of 'Cold War', only another one emerged.

I'd say the enemy we face now--terrorists--are in some ways more dangerous than the USSR ever was, because unlike the Soviets, these enemies wear no uniform--they could be anyone among us, living in our cities. Look at the Fort Hood massacre--the guy was a rather American looking US Army officer. And unlike the Soviet Union, who at least even a smidgen of respect for human life, Islamic Extremists have proudly proclaimed they 'love death more than life.' We face an anonymous faceless enemy with all the fanaticism of a religious zealot and all of the insanity of a Kamikaze. Terrorism has no face, no banner, no uniform. It is a much scarier force than any traditional army in that way as there is no true profile for a terrorist. Without looking deeply into him or what he was doing, on the surface for example Hassan would seem to be your average army officer.

I know this is more of a rant than a post, it was just something on my mind. We must never stop being vigilant now, sadly. During the 1990s we were more carefree, less willing or if willing, less heard, to be vigilant of the enemy before us. It just seems to me that (I ive in New York City) we'll never again have a care-free attitude as a nation, with this unseen threat always before us. I miss, in some ways, the care-free attitude I remember feeling as a child, and the care-free, triumphant attitude of the 1990s--I only wish that attitude could be had without it leading to danger.

A little off topic, but I also miss the Twin Towers. They were so iconic, not only of my city but of America in general--talll, proud, beautiful buildings. I wish they'd rebuild them exactly the same (except sturdier inside). Piss in the enemy's faces. Without them the skyline here looks like a mouth with two visibly missing teeth.

Molon Labe
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I'd say the enemy we face now--terrorists--are in some ways more dangerous than the USSR ever was, because unlike the Soviets, these enemies wear no uniform--they could be anyone among us, living in our cities.

Those 535 in Washington do indeed fit the definition of terrorists.

a person who terrorizes with the threat of violence or frightens others in order to coerce a political outcome

On a serious note...I'm much more concerned about my own domestic threats from people who keep legislating our middle class liberties and lifestyle away than I am about Ali Baba's jihad and his lack of a uniform.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM

On a serious note...I'm much more concerned about my own domestic threats from people who keep legislating our middle class liberties and lifestyle away than I am about Ali Baba's jihad and his lack of a uniform.

I'd be more afraid of someone who could take my life than my liberty. At least when there's life there's hope, even for the enslaved, for liberty to come. When you're dead there is no hope. A legislator can, if allowed, take little or big bites at your liberty over time; A terrorist can in one instant take yours and thousands of others' lives.

Molon Labe
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd be more afraid of someone who could take my life than my liberty. At least when there's life there's hope, even for the enslaved, for liberty to come. When you're dead there is no hope. A legislator can, if allowed, take little or big bites at your liberty over time; A terrorist can in one instant take yours and thousands of others' lives.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it - Thomas Jefferson

Articulate_Ape
04-13-2010, 05:05 PM

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

There are means to which legislators in our country can be controlled from taking our liberty; However, it's very hard to find and prevent a terrorist executing an attack.
I'd rather have both liberty and safety. My point is though, this thread first of all wasn't about the partisan bullshit--It's about the enemy outside the gates, outside the nation who is ALWAYS watching and waiting for us to be vulnerable and distracted.

Articulate_Ape
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
There are means to which legislators in our country can be controlled from taking our liberty; However, it's very hard to find and prevent a terrorist executing an attack.
I'd rather have both liberty and safety. My point is though, this thread first of all wasn't about the partisan bullshit--It's about the enemy outside the gates, outside the nation who is ALWAYS watching and waiting for us to be vulnerable and distracted.

The odds of you being killed by a terrorist are about the same odds of Donald Trump parachuting onto your lawn wearing a Lady Gaga outfit and pulling the Hope Diamond out of his ass and beating you to death with it. However, the odds of the government limiting or dispensing with your personal liberty is as likely to happen as yesterday's sunrise.

Constitutionally Speaking
04-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Islamic terrorism got a HUGE boost because of Jimmy Carter's actions in Iran and his inability to deal with the Soviet Union funding anti-western forces all over the globe.

fettpett
04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
It's sad that the last few generations have never known more than a decade at most of peace; I'm not a peacenik, and I realize war is just as much a part of the human condition as is famine or poverty; they are all tragedies but are and always will be a part of human life. It's just sad that when we finally seemed to have defeated our enemy after decades of 'Cold War', only another one emerged.

find any point in recorded history that didn't have a war of some kind going on every decade or so.

i'll give you a hint, you wont find one

PoliCon
04-13-2010, 10:27 PM
A volunteer army fighting overseas does not mean a generation 'knows war.' Most of the last few geenratiosn wouldn't 'know war' if it bit them on the ass. Most of the last few generations would roll over and accept slavery rather than face the sacrifices required of war.

Rockntractor
04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
There is a bloodless revolution taking place here at home but that's another story! All the freedoms our men have fought for in previous wars and we are getting ready to give them up.

noonwitch
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Islamic terrorism got a HUGE boost because of Jimmy Carter's actions in Iran and his inability to deal with the Soviet Union funding anti-western forces all over the globe.

The School Of The Americas was also a brilliant idea-it used our money and military to train potential future terrorists like bin Laden, but that wasn't on Carter's watch.