PDA

View Full Version : Exercise:

Megaguns91
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Who here exercises on a regular basis?
What kind of exercise do you prefer?
Do you try to incorporate a healthy diet with your exercise?
Do you have an "exercise" addiction, ritual, habit?

AmPat
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Just got back from a 3.5 mile run. I'm training up for a half marathon in May. (I run at an altitude of 8500 ft so you have to run to catch the oxygen molecules, kind of like a fish in water). I used to run but took about 6 years off due to job and physical problems. Decided the heck with it and run through the pain. Still weigh the same as when I was 30 (i"m 51 now).:o

Speedy
04-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I do a 3 mile run with my dog, Kato several times a week at 5 am.

On mondays wednesdays and fridays I do this:

3 X 20 pushups 20 dips 20 pullups

But in a circuit. I do 20 pushups followed by 3 minutes jumping rope followed by 20 dips then 3 minutes jump rope then the pullups followed by another 3 minutes of rope. I take no breaks between the exercises and rope until I finish a circuit. Then I rest for 2 minutes before doing the circuit two more times.

I also do punching and kicking drill on a heavy bag (usually four or five five minute rounds) and I also do some katas with my katana to keep my swordfighting skills sharp.

Articulate_Ape
04-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I do a 3 mile run with my dog, Kato several times a week at 5 am.

On mondays wednesdays and fridays I do this:

3 X 20 pushups 20 dips 20 pullups

But in a circuit. I do 20 pushups followed by 3 minutes jumping rope followed by 20 dips then 3 minutes jump rope then the pullups followed by another 3 minutes of rope. I take no breaks between the exercises and rope until I finish a circuit. Then I rest for 2 minutes before doing the circuit two more times.

I also do punching and kicking drill on a heavy bag (usually four or five five minute rounds) and I also do some katas with my katana to keep my swordfighting skills sharp.

I just scratched "mug Speedy" off of my "to do" list.

Molon Labe
04-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Running sucks, but I try to run with a buddy 2 1/2 miles twice a week. Most days we play half court basketball at lunch and full court on Sunday's

Dumbell free wieights for resistance excercises are the best IMO.

I'm trying the P90X routine and it's a butt kicker.........but it works if you can stick with it.

Megaguns91
04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Running sucks, but I try to run with a buddy 2 1/2 miles twice a week. Most days we play half court basketball at lunch and full court on Sunday's

Dumbell free wieights for resistance excercises are the best IMO.

I'm trying the P90X routine and it's a butt kicker.........but it works if you can stick with it.

I did the P90X for plyometrics training for Track and Field.
Keep doing it. Trust me. The benefits are phenominal. I still do a lot of the exercises I learned from it.

noonwitch
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I swim laps at the community center for 40-45 minutes, 5 days a week. I started exercising 3 years ago and have lost about 55 lbs/3 sizes. I'm on the verge of the 4th size down.

I was always heavy as an adult, and after a couple of injuries, I gained a little more. The injuries made exercise almost impossible-knee and leg problems. Swimming is the only exercise that doesn't make my knees and leg hurt worse, and actually makes them feel better.

I'm currently at the smallest size/lightest weight I've been since I graduated from college.

Speedy
04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I did the P90X for plyometrics training for Track and Field.
Keep doing it. Trust me. The benefits are phenominal. I still do a lot of the exercises I learned from it.

I do the P90X program once a year. One of the benefits they don't tell you about is that it floods your system with testosterone and it makes for some really good morning wood and twofers at night. Yvette always loved when I did this program.

M21
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I either ski (alpine touring or downhill) a few times a week or whitewater kayak a few times a week. I do both at a pretty high intensity level. That is usually enough to keep me fit. I also eat a very healthy diet.

Speedy
04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I just scratched "mug Speedy" off of my "to do" list.

Twice I have brought a knife to a gunfight. I got to stab my attackers a combined total of 15 times. They did not even get off one round between them. That's right, zero rounds shot off against being stabbed 15 times.

noonwitch
04-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I either ski (alpine touring or downhill) a few times a week or whitewater kayak a few times a week. I do both at a pretty high intensity level. That is usually enough to keep me fit. I also eat a very healthy diet.

I miss downhill skiing. I don't think I'll do it again without having knee replacement surgery. I was never a good skier, but I always had a lot of fun at it.

Molon Labe
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Twice I have brought a knife to a gunfight. I got to stab my attackers a combined total of 15 times. They did not even get off one round between them. That's right, zero rounds shot off against being stabbed 15 times.

Excellent. They apparently aren't aware of the distance ratio for getting two shots off before someone can get a fatal knife blow through.

Megaguns91
04-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Used to play hooky every Friday and go skiing at Lake Tahoe for a whole weekend. There's no good snow for at least 200 miles from where I currently reside. A damned shame too.

Daily exercise: Morning runs at 5:30. Fartleks (sounds like fartlicks, I know) Until 6:30. It usually ends up being 3 to 4 miles of fartleks. After work on mondays wednesdays and fridays I hit the gym and do free weights and tuesdays and thursdays I go for a jog for recovery after work. Saturdays I devote 2 - 3 hours in the gym and Sundays I don't exercise.

Speedy
04-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Excellent. They apparently aren't aware of the distance ratio for getting two shots off before someone can get a fatal knife blow through.

First one was a car jacker who pulled me out of my truck at a red light. As I got out of the truck I pulled my knife, opened it and when I turned toward him stabbed him with one hand as I twisted the gun out of his grip with the other. I sould have probably disarmed him without having to stab him first, but what would have been the fun in that?

The second one I feel a little bad about because I goaded him into it. I was flirting with his woman at club and could see he was not liking it. I took this as a signal that he was either going to do something about it or just let it go. I kept flirting with her, stealing a kiss from time to time and copping a feel of her tits. He never did or said shit and instead he followed me and the guys I was with out. He walked up behind me, brought the gun up to the back of my head and that was it. I spun around, slapped the gun away and stabbed him 14 times. In the end I was holding him up because he wanted to fall but I was not done yet.

PoliCon
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I have joint issues that make any kind of high impact exercise . . . . off limits - unless I want expensive surgery in a couple of years . . . . I currently do 8 miles 4 times a week on a stationary bike in 7th gear at 18 MPH. I'm working up to more. I had a back injury a couple of years ago. I need to shed the 40 pounds I put on as a result. I'm also following a diabetic diet since that is by far the healthiest diet one can practice.

Rockntractor
04-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I have joint issues that make any kind of high impact exercise . . . . off limits - unless I want expensive surgery in a couple of years . . . . I currently do 8 miles 4 times a week on a stationary bike in 7th gear at 18 MPH. I'm working up to more. I had a back injury a couple of years ago. I need to shed the 40 pounds I put on as a result. I'm also following a diabetic diet since that is by far the healthiest diet one can practice.

You should wear a bonnet when your out in the sun too!:rolleyes:

fettpett
04-15-2010, 05:04 PM

or you could go vegetarian and eat some veggie hot dogs :P :D;)

M21
04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I miss downhill skiing. I don't think I'll do it again without having knee replacement surgery. I was never a good skier, but I always had a lot of fun at it.Mrs M21's knee blew up a couple years ago and she had a surgery. She now wears a brace to ski and I set her bindings pretty light. We're in Colorado and the snow is dry and wonderful. It's almost as good as Utah.

M21
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Used to play hooky every Friday and go skiing at Lake Tahoe for a whole weekend. There's no good snow for at least 200 miles from where I currently reside. A damned shame too.
I grew up in Oregon skiing on Cascade concrete. Where in Washington?

patriot45
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I practice the 12 oz. curl! But it makes me thirsty. :D

Megaguns91
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I grew up in Oregon skiing on Cascade concrete. Where in Washington?

Olympic Peninsula. Closest mountain is Mt. Baker. We had horrible snow this year. Not that WA snow is ever good in the first place. Wet and icey.

PoliCon
04-15-2010, 09:33 PM
or you could go vegetarian and eat some veggie hot dogs :P :D;)

:rolleyes: I still have balls thank you very much. I do not intend to emasculate myself through diet. :rolleyes:

M21
Olympic Peninsula. Closest mountain is Mt. Baker. We had horrible snow this year. Not that WA snow is ever good in the first place. Wet and icey.
Beautiful place. I'll be very happy when the Elwha Dam and the Glines Canyon Dam are gone and the historic salmon runs return.

PoliCon
You should wear a bonnet when your out in the sun too!:rolleyes:

I am very proud to be a white boy. Pale in the new tan remember? :p

noonwitch
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM

Have you tried swimming? I don't have the same issues you do, but I have arthritic knee problems with both knees, and a lot of pain in general in my right leg from the falls I have taken, mostly work-related. Swimming doesn't stress the joints, and it involves your entire body, as far as muscle-toning goes.

I tried the bike, it gets that pins and needles feeling going in my leg, and that's not a pleasant thing for me.

PoliCon
04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Have you tried swimming? I don't have the same issues you do, but I have arthritic knee problems with both knees, and a lot of pain in general in my right leg from the falls I have taken, mostly work-related. Swimming doesn't stress the joints, and it involves your entire body, as far as muscle-toning goes.

I tried the bike, it gets that pins and needles feeling going in my leg, and that's not a pleasant thing for me.

I'll swim this summer when my sisters pool is open. :)

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Beautiful place. I'll be very happy when the Elwha Dam and the Glines Canyon Dam are gone and the historic salmon runs return.

HAHA. Except that the removal of the dams won't help anything because the Elwha and Klallam are allowed to net in the rivers still. They net 90 percent of the fish. Unfortunate but true.

Sonnabend
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I walk a great deal to and from work, and for fun go for 2-3km walks (each way, so it's about 6km all up) to the closer suburbs to clear my mind.

Molon Labe
04-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Excercise is out today cause were going for Pizza. (It's my free day!)

But.... tomorrow I plan to do the following. I think dummbell exercises are great because they allow for free range of motion, are versatile to just about every muscle group, and you don't need alot of equipment

Start off with a weight that you can do (12X) reps comfortably. For each additional rep add 5 to 10 LBS but you can do it however feels most comfortable...some like less weight increments and some use more.

Using the Dumbbell chest press for example:
if you were to start of with 20 LBS you would do 6 sets total.

20 (12X)
30 (10X)
40 (8X)
50 (6X)

then lower to weight to your 8X set and do

40 (12X)

Do not rest between the 5 and 6 set and lift the weight you originally started with

20 (12X) using a different exercise.

So It's:
6 sets (Reps of 12, 10, 8, 6 , 12, 12) of pyramid dumbbell presses. The last rep of 12 should be a different chest exercise. (exp, if you do dumbbell presses the last rep will be fly's or inclined/declined.

6 sets (Reps of 12, 10, 8, 6 , 12, 12) shoulder dumbbell presses. Last rep is a different shoulder exercise.

6 sets (Reps of 12, 10, 8, 6 , 12, 12) dumbbell biceps curls. last rep is a different biceps exercise

6 sets (Reps of 12, 10, 8, 6 , 12, 12) dumbbell triceps curls or presses. last rep is a different tricep exercise

You can also make something up for the lower body as well along the same lines.

Do that for 2 months, and I swear that you will both lose weight and gain strength and muscle definition. I think this was what Bill Phillips used to recommend in his BFL program.

Speedy
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
If you want to gain muscle and do it rapidly you cn go with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday full body routine consisting of ONLY 3 sets of 8 reps of the following. Bench Press, Squat and Bent over rows. You can do this routine for at least a year just upping the poundages as you you need to. You would be impressed at the amount of muscle you gained.

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 12:47 PM
If you want to gain muscle and do it rapidly you cn go with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday full body routine consisting of ONLY 3 sets of 8 reps of the following. Bench Press, Squat and Bent over rows. You can do this routine for at least a year just upping the poundages as you you need to. You would be impressed at the amount of muscle you gained.

That's an old Arny trick from back in the day when he was a body builder. 8 reps 3 sets max weight. Produces muscle, whereas low weight high reps only burns fat and increases the chance of injury from repetitive motion with weight.

M21
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
HAHA. Except that the removal of the dams won't help anything because the Elwha and Klallam are allowed to net in the rivers still. They net 90 percent of the fish. Unfortunate but true.I guess to me it's better our people netting the fish than the Japanese in the open ocean before they return home to spawn. As a whitewater kayaker I stand to gain for recreation purposes and the return of the rivers to wild and free running is a benefit to us and the wildlife.

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess to me it's better our people netting the fish than the Japanese in the open ocean before they return home to spawn. As a whitewater kayaker I stand to gain for recreation purposes and the return of the rivers to wild and free running is a benefit to us and the wildlife.

I have literally watched native fishermen net the whole river before the salmon run was even close to over, and have a group of guys stand upriver, pouring buckets of bleach in the water to push the salmon into the nets.

I'm not saying removing the dams is a bad thing. But them saying the dams are bad for the salmon whilst ignoring the gross slaughter of the salmon by "Native" practices in which the Native people do not follow the way their ancestors traditionally caught their fish is a selfish double-standard which is oh-so-common in this liberal state.

Speedy
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Unless you are juicing there is no way your body will lose fat and build significant muscle at the same time. When I was in prison I would see all of these guys show up at the weight pile and think that because they did every exercise known to man for each body part they would get results. The guys who were real monsters did not workout everyday.

I am happy with where I am now. I have a slender physique with muscles showing. Kind of like the guys in the UFC or a boxer.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I am training for the Highland Games.

Doing the Anibolic diet with carb ups every 7 days

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 01:51 PM
I am training for the Highland Games.

Doing the Anibolic diet with carb ups every 7 days

I threw discus/javelin during high school track. Always looked up to the guys who did the Highland. BIG boys.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I threw discus/javelin during high school track. Always looked up to the guys who did the Highland. BIG boys.

yeah the heavy hammer is about 60 lbs. I can only get a little bit over 30 feet in distance with it.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Unless you are juicing there is no way your body will lose fat and build significant muscle at the same time. When I was in prison I would see all of these guys show up at the weight pile and think that because they did every exercise known to man for each body part they would get results. The guys who were real monsters did not workout everyday.

I am happy with where I am now. I have a slender physique with muscles showing. Kind of like the guys in the UFC or a boxer.

This is not complete truth buddy.
You can work out every day but cycling between the areas is key.

Speedy
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
This is not complete truth buddy.
You can work out every day but cycling between the areas is key.

Like I said, you see results if you are juicing. The body grows on a rest day. REST! There is no such thing as resting your chest while working out your legs. Your body does not know that you are resting one body part and using another. All it know is that muscle fiber is being torn down one day and then some more is being torn down the next day. It does not rebuild any tissue on the same day tissue is being broken down.

Rockntractor
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Exercise is what I do for a living and when I get home I do more exercise feeding and taking care of the critters.
I'll be dammed if when I get done in the evening I'm going to ride a stationary bicycle to nowhere! I need to buy one for that woman though, I still need to sell that 300 pound cheese grater they call a treadmill.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I have a 8 months to train. Want to put on about 12 more pounds of LBM before then..... shouldnt be hard.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Like I said, you see results if you are juicing. The body grows on a rest day. REST! There is no such thing as resting your chest while working out your legs. Your body does not know that you are resting one body part and using another. All it know is that muscle fiber is being torn down one day and then some more is being torn down the next day. It does not rebuild any tissue on the same day tissue is being broken down.

I am only refering to my own results so I must be a freak. Depends on what you are training for I guess.

Rockntractor
04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I am only refering to my own results so I must be a freak. Depends on what you are training for I guess.
Don't forget you are also training to be an old man every day of your life and you might want something left of your joints when you get older!

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Don't forget you are also training to be an old man every day of your life and you might want something left of your joints when you get older!

I take 3 grams of glucosamine a day.

Speedy
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a 8 months to train. Want to put on about 12 more pounds of LBM before then.....

Squat 3 X 8

Bench Press 3 X 8

Bentover Rows 3 x 8

Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays

Tuesday, Thursday and Weekends are rest days. If you do any Cardio do it on your workout days as rest days are just that rest...days.

Make sure you do 8 good reps. The last rep should be almost impossible to complete. Any workout that says to do arms one day, shoulders the next day, legs the day after that and you will build muscle is bullshit. That workout I posted above will pack on muscle like you do not believe.

Molon Labe
04-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Make sure you do 8 good reps. The last rep should be almost impossible to complete. Any workout that says to do arms one day, shoulders the next day, legs the day after that and you will build muscle is bullshit. That workout I posted above will pack on muscle like you do not believe.

I'll give this a try. I'm not really sure I want to get too big, but would like to get more tone and definition.

Speedy
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM

If you are training to put on size, nothing will put muscle on you like a 3 day a week full body routine. Even the highly vaunted P90X program will not build muscle. It burns up fat and tones what muscle you do have. I am not saying that you do not get results with a body part a day split routine, you do but nothing like full body 3 times a week.

Rockntractor
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I take 3 grams of glucosamine a day.

I also use this.
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane or Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) is a naturally occurring sulfur compound that plays a crucial role in forming muscles, nails, hair and skin as well as building healthy cells. In their book, The Miracle of MSM; The Natural Solution for Pain, Stanley W. Jacob, M.D. and Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D. say: “MSM offers a natural way to reduce pain and inflammation without serious side effects. MSM may even deliver as much or even more relief as some of the standard painkillers – MSM just doesn’t work as fast. That’s because MSM is not a drug; MSM is a nutritional supplement. But you will often begin to experience noticeable easing of pain and discomfort, along with more energy, and in general feel better, within days of starting MSM.”1

MSM relieves; MSM does not cure. Many years of clinical use at Oregon Health Sciences University have demonstrated that MSM provides major pain relief through the following actions:
MSM inhibits pain impulses along nerve fibers (analgesic effect)
MSM lessens inflammation
MSM increases blood supply
MSM reduces muscle spasm
MSM aids in the softening of scar tissue

Zafod
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Squat 3 X 8

Bench Press 3 X 8

Bentover Rows 3 x 8

Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays

Tuesday, Thursday and Weekends are rest days. If you do any Cardio do it on your workout days as rest days are just that rest...days.

pass..... Got a program bud, thanks anyway.

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Speedy is mostly correct, but you're going to wanna try working your major muscles alternatively. Working your whole arms doesn't make sense and you'd be both pushing and pulling exercises in one gym session, thus heightening your chance of becoming injured two-fold.

8repsx3sets MONDAY:

Run in morning (always do cardio. Always).
Gym:
Chest/Triceps

Tuesday:
Run only, no gym. Rest day.

Wednesday:
Run morning
Gym:
Back/Biceps

Thursday:
Run only. Rest day

Friday:
Legs (isolating let muscles isn't important as your leg muscles tend to me more resilliant [to a POINT] than upper body strength)

Saturday: core exercises. You should always cool down after every workout with ab workouts, but core exercises are ab work outs on crack.

As a female with an extremely high metabolism following this exercise routine I managed to gain 15 pounds in two months. This is outstanding for me, as I have trouble keeping weight on.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
here is one of the events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--RoqrwiLI

Speedy
04-16-2010, 05:46 PM
That looks like one of those events where the top finishers are all more or less equally strong and technique is the difference.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 06:07 PM
That looks like one of those events where the top finishers are all more or less equally strong and technique is the difference.

Thats true but that dude is only throwing the light hammer for distance.....only 28 lbs.
My training is 60lbs......

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Very similar to the discus spin and recently implemented shotput spin. Physics is your friend.

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtzzONrfYY&feature=related

Olympic men's hammer 35lb.
The intensity of the speed astounds me. I refused to throw hammer. Thought I might...injure myself.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtzzONrfYY&feature=related

Olympic men's hammer 35lb.
The intensity of the speed astounds me. I refused to throw hammer. Thought I might...injure myself.

again, different beast than what I am doing.

Megaguns91
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
again, different beast than what I am doing.

Yes absolutely.

You do the giant log toss too? :D

Speedy
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Thats true but that dude is only throwing the light hammer for distance.....only 28 lbs.
My training is 60lbs......

You should implement some training at or below the weight you are going to throw. Muscle remembers how fast and quickly you did something not how heavy it was.

Zafod
04-16-2010, 07:14 PM
You should implement some training at or below the weight you are going to throw. Muscle remembers how fast and quickly you did something not how heavy it was.

Im sorry but you dont know what you are talking about in regards to this event.....

Zafod
04-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes absolutely.

You do the giant log toss too? :D
its called a Caber and yes :)

Speedy
04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Im sorry but you dont know what you are talking about in regards to this event.....

It is not the event, it is basic kinesiolgy. It is not unlike putting those weighed donuts on a bat before stepping up to the plate. It slows the bat swing down and pitchers love to see that.

Zafod
04-18-2010, 01:35 AM
It is not the event, it is basic kinesiolgy. It is not unlike putting those weighed donuts on a bat before stepping up to the plate. It slows the bat swing down and pitchers love to see that.

WTF does that have to do with what I was talking about?

do you know everything about everything? Because you sure act like a Cliff Claven all over the place.....

Speedy
04-18-2010, 03:59 AM
WTF does that have to do with what I was talking about?

do you know everything about everything? Because you sure act like a Cliff Claven all over the place.....

Like I said in a previous post. It is basic kineseology. Muscle have memory of only one thing. How fast they expand and contract. They have no memory of how heavy something is. If you train your body to be explosive with lighter weight, it will move heavier weight quicker.

I am not saying your training is wrong. Just inserting something that I did learn as a competitor in various other sports ranging from riding bulls and team roping in rodeos to football, fencing and martial arts.

I always welcomed input on my training methods. That did not mean that I had to implement it.

Zafod
04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Like I said in a previous post. It is basic kineseology. Muscle have memory of only one thing. How fast they expand and contract. They have no memory of how heavy something is. If you train your body to be explosive with lighter weight, it will move heavier weight quicker.

I am not saying your training is wrong. Just inserting something that I did learn as a competitor in various other sports ranging from riding bulls and team roping in rodeos to football, fencing and martial arts.

I always welcomed input on my training methods. That did not mean that I had to implement it.

you really have done everything there is to do......

Speedy
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
you really have done everything there is to do......

This is Texas, Dude. Rodeo is a High School Sport. The two industries where I grew up were ranching and oil production. I used to do day work on ranches and team roping was an extension of that. Football is a religion in Texas, you won't get laid in high school if you are not on the team. Studying martial arts is not a rare thing. Alot of the guys on the board have studied a martial art at one time or another. And if you want to make a team in college, the fencing team is always looking for participants.

I have never done any type of strength competitions, though. The training always seemed too much like real work.:D

Zafod
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I have never done any type of strength competitions, though. The training always seemed too much like real work.:D

thats because you have to dig deep to get stamps on your man card.....

Speedy
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
thats because you have to dig deep to get stamps on your man card.....

Actually, my training has always leaned more towards agility and flexibility. As far as the man card thing, that has been stamped more than enough times. Have more scars than tats and those scars have come from manly things like crashing motorcycles, being shot and stabbed, football, thrown by horses and the like.

I'm sure I could toss stumps and iron hammers (very manly endevours in their own right) but I would not be very motivated to train for them. Not for me, but I am sure you are dedicated enough to do very well in those events.

BSR
04-19-2010, 01:38 PM

While you are correct that muscle "builds" after your workout as it is repairing the micro tears you create from lifting weights, the rest of this post gets a -

http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

Speedy
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
What is laughable is actually believing that you are building muscle in one part while tearing down another. THAT is what is funny. Does not happen.

BSR
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
For anyone who cares.

Upper body 2 times a week 1:30 hours
Lower body 2 times a week 1:30 hours

3 rest days..

I suggest CLA supplements and NO Explode before workouts... You see results.

I guarantee it or your money back. Call today !!!!

Zafod
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
As far as the man card thing, that has been stamped more than enough times.

ok......

BSR
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
What is laughable is actually believing that you are building muscle in one part while tearing down another. THAT is what is funny. Does not happen.

*sigh*... Ok champ, I'll bite..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01517/xkcd-460-288_1517490c.jpg

Show me the studies to back up your claim that your body does not rebuild micro tears in muscle when you are working alternating muscle groups.

BSR
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
First one was a car jacker who pulled me out of my truck at a red light. As I got out of the truck I pulled my knife, opened it and when I turned toward him stabbed him with one hand as I twisted the gun out of his grip with the other. I sould have probably disarmed him without having to stab him first, but what would have been the fun in that?

The second one I feel a little bad about because I goaded him into it. I was flirting with his woman at club and could see he was not liking it. I took this as a signal that he was either going to do something about it or just let it go. I kept flirting with her, stealing a kiss from time to time and copping a feel of her tits. He never did or said shit and instead he followed me and the guys I was with out. He walked up behind me, brought the gun up to the back of my head and that was it. I spun around, slapped the gun away and stabbed him 14 times. In the end I was holding him up because he wanted to fall but I was not done yet.

Is this like you're a ex-ranger?

I swear you're the CU version of TominTib.

Zafod
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM

he was a ranger?

Speedy
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Nope. Not an ex-Ranger. I was a 31-K in the Army. Tactical Commo. Climbed poles and trees to run commo lines, set up antennas in the field. Carried the radio. Pretty cool MOS and it would get you assigned to any kind of unit from rear duty supply to frontline cav.

Do not have to be any kind of bad ass to get carjacked. That just happens if you are in a targeted vehicle at the wrong place at the wrong time. And if you go to any bars around Highway 59 or Airport Road in Houston where the Salvadorans and Nicaraguans go, something will happen if you fuck with their women.

If you never go fast on a motorcycle, you probably will never crash one. You never play with fire, you never get burned. Where the fun be if you played on special teams and fair caught every single punt kicked to you?

BSR
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
he was a ranger?

No, remember when he was claiming to be a Ranger and he got called on it a few years back? Or is this guy different then Speed Addiction? :confused:

I was pointing out I think he's lying again..

By the way, how's your boy? He's about 3 or 4, right?

Speedy
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
*sigh*... Ok champ, I'll bite..

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01517/xkcd-460-288_1517490c.jpg

Show me the studies to back up your claim that your body does not rebuild micro tears in muscle when you are working alternating muscle groups.

Most of what I have learned about this is studies by Stuart McRobert. It made sense to me. When your body uses up glycogen stores, it does not use them from just certain parts of your body. Kind of like the fuel in the gas tank of a car. It will use the gas anytime the engine is running, no matter if the car is moving or idling in place or powering a winch. It is still using the gas out of the tank.

BSR
04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Most of what I have learned about this is studies by Stuart McRobert. It made sense to me. When your body uses up glycogen stores, it does not use them from just certain parts of your body. Kind of like the fuel in the gas tank of a car. It will use the gas anytime the engine is running, no matter if the car is moving or idling in place or powering a winch. It is still using the gas out of the tank.

Scientific studies only.. No anecdotal evidence allowed.

On a side note the fuel burned for weight lifting versus micro tear repair is completely different.

Thats like saying the windows of your car wont roll down because the engine is running...

Zafod
04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
No, remember when he was claiming to be a Ranger and he got called on it a few years back? Or is this guy different then Speed Addiction? :confused:

By the way, how's your boy? He's about 3 or 4, right?

3 1/2.
38 inches tall and 40lbs

the kid is a beast.

BSR
04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
3 1/2.
38 inches tall and 40lbs

the kid is a beast.

:eek:

Sounds like it !!

Zafod
04-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Scientific studies only.. No anecdotal evidence allowed.

On a side note the fuel burned for weight lifting versus micro tear repair is completely different.

Thats like saying the windows of your car wont roll down because the engine is running...

glycogen has nothing to do with strength building outside of its just fuel.

I am doing to anibolic diet right now so I use up all my glycogen during the week and have to do a carb up day to gain it back.

Zafod
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of being a Cliff Claven.....

Speedy
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
3 1/2.
38 inches tall and 40lbs

the kid is a beast.

Holy crap! I guess if he is around when you have a flat you do not need a jack.

BSR
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
So are you going to back up your claims with hard proof Speedy or just try to ignore it? Let me know and I'll drop it.. Im just waiting for the scientific data.

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Sorry man. Working a muscle group and then working a completely different muscle group the next day won't hinder repair for said muscles.

Muscles repair with amino acids that are released during workout from these "micro"tears.. Tryptophane and lysine being some of the most important ones. Where can you get these amino acids? Foods high in protein. Protein bars. Egg whites.

Bottom line: micro tears only occur in the muscles which are being worked. Working another muscle group is of no issue if you're supplying your body with the correct fuel.

I've talked this over with the most ripped of guys, including my father, who was a body builder for many years.

Zafod
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry man. Working a muscle group and then working a completely different muscle group the next day won't hinder repair for said muscles.

Muscles repair with amino acids that are released during workout from these "micro"tears.. Tryptophane and lysine being some of the most important ones. Where can you get these amino acids? Foods high in protein. Protein bars. Egg whites.

Bottom line: micro tears only occur in the muscles which are being worked. Working another muscle group is of no issue if you're supplying your body with the correct fuel.

I've talked this over with the most ripped of guys, including my father, who was a body builder for many years.

Bingo!

Speedy
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
So are you going to back up your claims with hard proof Speedy or just try to ignore it? Let me know and I'll drop it.. Im just waiting for the scientific data.

The reason I mentioned Stuart McRoberts is because his book Brawn is filled with notes and studies and footnotes. I based my own thoughts on that and what I learned from guys who had been lifting for years in prison. I went from minimal gains to really good gains by going from a body part a day system to a three day a week system. In prison guys who were not satisfied with how they were doing would go to them and be put on a three day a week system and never fail to improve.

As for the scientific data, never really looked any up. Never had to, just stuck with what worked for me. Like Glow-Bull Warming. Scientific data can reflect anything.

BSR
04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
The reason I mentioned Stuart McRoberts is because his book Brawn is filled with notes and studies and footnotes. I based my own thoughts on that and what I learned from guys who had been lifting for years in prison. I went from minimal gains to really good gains by going from a body part a day system to a three day a week system. In prison guys who were not satisfied with how they were doing would go to them and be put on a three day a week system and never fail to improve.

As for the scientific data, never really looked any up. Never had to, just stuck with what worked for me. Like Glow-Bull Warming. Scientific data can reflect anything.

Ok, sooo No...

Thats all you had to say.. No....

Speedy
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM

I tend to disagree. The body repairs itself most efficient when it RESTS. If you are working hard enough to make a difference the body part being worked should be trashed, burned and fatigued completely. If it is, the bodypart you worked the the day before is not going to be rested and refreshed and repaired as it should be.

But of course this is just my opinion. It has as much merit as arguing about which fighting style is best.

linda22003
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I tend to disagree. The body repairs itself most efficient when it RESTS.

And puts its feet up, and has a big ol' Scotch.

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I tend to disagree. The body repairs itself most efficient when it RESTS. If you are working hard enough to make a difference the body part being worked should be trashed, burned and fatigued completely. If it is, the bodypart you worked the the day before is not going to be rested and refreshed and repaired as it should be.

But of course this is just my opinion. It has as much merit as arguing about which fighting style is best.

I'm not disagreeing about rest between workouts. It's the only way to build muscle. But saying that you can't work an alternative part of the body that hadn't even recieved attention as it would hinder the alternative part of the body is nonsense. That's like saying if I go for a 5k after I do a circuit weight room the day before for chest and tri is going to take away from my rest opportunities for my chest/tri.

Let me explain.

This is my friend Sally.:

http://www.healthyflesh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/human-body-muscle-diagram.jpg

Sally has muscles. These muscles can complete a varied amount of tasks. There are such things as pulling muscle groups and pushing muscle groups (there may be a gray line of acception in some varous workouts).

Pulling muscles: back, bicep, abdomen.

Pushing muscles: chest, tricep, legs, shoulders, (and sometimes abdomen).

Yesterday Sally did a chest and tricep workout.

Today, Sally is going to do a leg workout. Squats, lunges, leg press....

The soreness Sally feels today is in her chest and tricepts.
Tomorrow Sally will feel soreness in her legs.

I'm not condoning working out two consecutive days if you're doing a BREAKDOWN. This is silly and leads to injury. If you're simply toning, go to the gym every day. Light reps, 4 sets of 12. 40 to 50% load.

Jumpy
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Good thread! :D My work is very physical, but I still enjoy a 3-4 mile walk about 6 evenings a week (weather permitting). I also eat very healthy. I cannot wait for fresh tomatoes, my favorite fruit.

Speedy
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm not disagreeing about rest between workouts. It's the only way to build muscle. But saying that you can't work an alternative part of the body that hadn't even recieved attention as it would hinder the alternative part of the body is nonsense. That's like saying if I go for a 5k after I do a circuit weight room the day before for chest and tri is going to take away from my rest opportunities for my chest/tri.

That is basically what I am saying. The majority of guys who start lifting weights do so because they want to get big. And most start training a body part a day thinking that because the bodybuilders in the magazines do this it would work for them. Nothing could be further from the truth. These guys start doing too much at the very beginning, then think they are not doing enough so they do more.

Zafod
04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
That is basically what I am saying. The majority of guys who start lifting weights do so because they want to get big. And most start training a body part a day thinking that because the bodybuilders in the magazines do this it would work for them. Nothing could be further from the truth. These guys start doing too much at the very beginning, then think they are not doing enough so they do more.

all I know is I am getting stronger. The weight I can move around is getting higher. I work out everyday but different groups.

BSR
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
all I know is I am getting stronger. The weight I can move around is getting higher. I work out everyday but different groups.

Thats the way to do it. As long as you're resting the muscles worked out for 24-48 hours, you are g2g...

Zafod
04-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Thats the way to do it. As long as you're resting the muscles worked out for 24-48 hours, you are g2g...

bingo.

NJCardFan
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Who here exercises on a regular basis?
What kind of exercise do you prefer?
Do you try to incorporate a healthy diet with your exercise?
Do you have an "exercise" addiction, ritual, habit?

I lift weights...12 ounces at a time.

Megaguns91
04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I lift weights...12 ounces at a time.

:p LOL

Zafod
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
needless to say speedy, i think your wrong....