PDA

View Full Version : Question for gun owners...

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Where I live, on the gun license application you have to answer a lengthy list of questions (for example, ''Have you ever been arrested?", "Have you ever had an order of protection filed against you", "Have you ever been treated for alcoholism/addiction, etc). Now, I've never been arrested, nor have ever had an addiction, nor any order of protection or any other legally disqualifying factor--I've never been judged a mental defective nor remanded to a psychiatric hospital. However, one of the questions is "Have you ever taken sedatives or narcotics" and if you have include a notarized doctor's note. I've taken a sedative for home/family related anxiety, nothing major nor have ever had any major psychological issues--For gun owners here, would the prescribed use of a sedative (not abusing it) disqualify me from owning a weapon?

Rockntractor
04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Where I live, on the gun license application you have to answer a lengthy list of questions (for example, ''Have you ever been arrested?", "Have you ever had an order of protection filed against you", "Have you ever been treated for alcoholism/addiction, etc). Now, I've never been arrested, nor have ever had an addiction, nor any order of protection or any other legally disqualifying factor--I've never been judged a mental defective nor remanded to a psychiatric hospital. However, one of the questions is "Have you ever taken sedatives or narcotics" and if you have include a notarized doctor's note. I've taken a sedative for home/family related anxiety, nothing major nor have ever had any major psychological issues--For gun owners here, would the prescribed use of a sedative (not abusing it) disqualify me from owning a weapon?

What state are you in?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-17-2010, 12:24 AM
What state are you in?

New York. Some of the strictest gun laws in the country, which is a damn shame. I'm personally very pro-gun, and when I get a little money together would like to join the NRA. I'm broke at the moment.

FlaGator
04-17-2010, 12:24 AM

We have similar questions here in FL when buying handguns. I am an alcoholic so and I put that down and I put down that I've been in treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. I've never been denied a hand gun. I own 3 hand guns and 3 rifles including and AR 15 and and AK 47.

Rockntractor
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
New York. Some of the strictest gun laws in the country, which is a damn shame. I'm personally very pro-gun, and when I get a little money together would like to join the NRA. I'm broke at the moment.

Don't purger yourself, they have lists of prescribed narcotics even if you fill a prescription for pain medication for an injury they will know.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
What state are you in?

We have similar questions here in FL when buying handguns. I am an alcoholic so and I put that down and I put down that I've been in treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. I've never been denied a hand gun. I own 3 hand guns and 3 rifles including and AR 15 and and AK 47.

Don't purger yourself, they have lists of prescribed narcotics even if you fill a prescription for pain medication for an injury they will know.

I wasn't intending on it. They say right on the application that if you lie, you'll be disqualified. That's why I asked here..I figured there'd be plenty of people who'd know whether it'd even be worth trying to apply/if the history of medication would disqualify me. If it did, I wouldn't bother trying. But I'd like, as soon as I'm able to get a gun--both because I love guns (some of them are definately almost like works of art) and for general defense and maybe for hunting.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Call me Bill Clinton, but does the 2nd Amendment say anything about your right hinging on your medical history? If not, then the question is none of their business and you are free to answer it any way you choose.

Yeah, but if they find out I lie, I'd be disqualified. Says so right on the application and it's not worth getting disqualified for a license for. The second amendment doesn't say that, but unfortunately a lot of the stricter states like to make their own rules which trump it.

Gingersnap
04-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Generally, people view this question as insane but also whether or not you have a current prescription for a major mood-altering drug.

In real life, many people have taken illegal mood-altering drugs and they aren't going to disclose this because it was some kind of experimental party-phase thing. Some other people have had drugs prescribed for short periods to deal with insomnia or minor depression - they won't disclose either.

People who do disclose are those with chronic health issues that require these kinds of drugs (cancer patients, arthritis sufferers, MS victims, or whatever). Those people are few and far between in terms of disclosure simply because it adds a ton of delays into the process.

Let's face it: the DMV never asks anything like that and people drive cars several times each day (most people don't shoot that often). Drivers are much more likely to be operating a 2 ton vehicle than gun owners are likely to be operating a firearm on any given day. The mindset behind these questions is the mindset of a non-gun owner.

Better questions would be: have you passed your state's Hunter Safety Class? When? Have you taken a certified Firearms course? When? When did you last go to a range?

I'm not saying we should add those questions but they would be more relevant.

Speedy
04-17-2010, 01:10 AM

Damn that sucks. I am a convicted felon. Did prison time. Got into two shootouts at my house. Got shot and have shot three people and I have three lockers full of guns and could buy a gun tommorow. The difference between living in New York and Texas.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Damn that sucks. I am a convicted felon. Did prison time. Got into two shootouts at my house. Got shot and have shot three people and I have three lockers full of guns and could buy a gun tommorow. The difference between living in New York and Texas.

Here if you have even been convicted of a convicted of a crime for which you could serve a year or are even under indictment for a crime for which you could serve one year you are legally disqualified from buying a gun, as are those who have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence.

Kay
04-17-2010, 09:31 AM
when I get a little money together would like to join the NRA. I'm broke at the moment.

If you will watch on the NRA website they sometimes run a free membership for a year special.

I am an alcoholic so and I put that down and I put down that I've been in treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.

I would not have ever guessed that from your posting. I'm glad you got treatment and hope you're sticking with it. You seem like a really good man at heart.

fettpett
04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Michigan is pretty leanant on gun purchasing now. all you have to do is go get a purchase permit and turn it in within 10 days of picking up the gun. really easy. before you'd have to take the gun to the sheriff's department and let them do a "safety check" on the gun which was code for test firing and registering. Honestly I'm surprised that Granholm has been as big of a supporter of gun rights as she has.

djones520
04-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Michigan is prety lineant on gun purchasing now. all you have to do is go get a purchase permit and turn it in within 10 days of picking up the gun. really easy. before you'd have to tak the gun to the sherif's department and let them do a "safty check" on the gun which was code for test firing and registering. Honestly I'm surprised that Granholm has been as big of a supporter of gun rights as she has.

Since when? When I bought my AR-10 in 2005, I didn't have to do any of that.

Rockntractor
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
If you will watch on the NRA website they sometimes run a free membership for a year special.

I would not have ever guessed that from your posting. I'm glad you got treatment and hope you're sticking with it. You seem like a really good man at heart.

Occasionally he still yells at puppies!:eek:

fettpett
04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Since when? When I bought my AR-10 in 2005, I didn't have to do any of that.

it was in affect until last year. how well it was enforced i can't say. I just know that all i had to do was go get the yellow card get it filled out and take back one of the three when I got mine last May. Michigan Gun Owners forum was where i got most of the info

Bubba Dawg
04-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Sounds reasonable. I think in Texas you have to lose a gunfight so badly that you get killed before you are disqualified from buying a gun.

As it should be. If you're that bad with a gun, you clearly don't deserve one.

I guess it also depends on who you shoot. Some people need shooting, some don't. You have to know the difference.

I like Texas. :D

M21
04-17-2010, 10:12 AM
It doesn't matter where you live you have to execute an BATFE Form 4473 to buy a firearm.

The question asked on the form is;

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
substance?"

Your answer should be NO.

Gingersnap
04-17-2010, 10:18 AM

Yay Kay! I should have remembered this myself! I'm a member and you are correct. They don't do it every year but they do it pretty often. :D

Speedy
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Sounds reasonable. I think in Texas you have to lose a gunfight so badly that you get killed before you are disqualified from buying a gun. :D

In Texas we take our gunfights very serious.:D

Bubba Dawg
04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
In Texas we take our gunfights very serious.:D

Well Ye-ah.....:D

Sonnabend
04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Getting a permit here is a pain, but isnt that hard. I've got mine and am in the middle of training for some of the local competitions.

In answer to CITM's question, he'd be denied a permit. Or he'd have to show just cause why his prescription medicines (i.e. sedatives for "anxiety") would not interfere with his judgement.

Personally, if I am on a range, I would be very uneasy having someone on mood altering medication being allowed a firearm. Matter of fact I'd go to the rangemaster and ask why someone with a mental problem has a gun...if you need psychiatric drugs to control your moods then you are not mentally stable, and should not be allowed anywhere near a weapon.

Are you taking these long term, or just temporarily? Because that's what you would be asked...along with the question as to what happens when you stop taking it.