PDA

View Full Version : A Question No One Seems To Know Or Want To Answer

NJCardFan
04-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I've noticed a common theme this week, this being tax week and that's that no one really wants to answer the question "How much should we be paying in taxes?" Meaning, what % is too high? Should we be paying 20%? We're already being taxed over 35% by the federal government. 40%? Add in state and local taxes and in some cases we're creeping up to or surpassing 50%. And once the taxes for Obamacare kick in, we may be looking at at least 60%. So, where does it end?

djones520
04-17-2010, 12:33 PM
*shrugs* Hard to say. I technically pay no federal income taxes right now, and because of my military status I pay no state income taxes as well. With that though, we find it hard to "get ahead". Granted, our spending habits are a bit looser then they should be, but even were we to restrict ourselves to the minimums, we still wouldn't be able to put a lot of money away. Introducing higher taxes would not make anything easier on us in any stretch of the imagination, and I doubt it would on the other 47% or so who share my tax bracket or worse.

It's a sticky situation, balancing whats "fair" with whats "fair".

PoliCon
04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I've noticed a common theme this week, this being tax week and that's that no one really wants to answer the question "How much should we be paying in taxes?" Meaning, what % is too high? Should we be paying 20%? We're already being taxed over 35% by the federal government. 40%? Add in state and local taxes and in some cases we're creeping up to or surpassing 50%. And once the taxes for Obamacare kick in, we may be looking at at least 60%. So, where does it end?

ANYTHING in income taxes is too high. If we switched to consumption taxes I'd be willing to go as high as 20% total tax burden.

Speedy
04-17-2010, 01:06 PM
10% is good enough for God. 10% should be good enough for the government.

PoliCon
04-17-2010, 02:24 PM
10% is good enough for God. 10% should be good enough for the government.

AND once we pear down all of the crap that the fed is not supposed to be doing - 10% may well be enough for them. But I'm saying 20% total tax burden for ALL taxes - state and local as well.

Troll
04-17-2010, 03:01 PM
ANYTHING in income taxes is too high. If we switched to consumption taxes I'd be willing to go as high as 20% total tax burden.

+111111111

I'm of the opinion that enacting the FairTax as it's written would either completely or partially fix a good 60% of the problems in this country. The Income Tax, apart from being unconstitutional, is squelching the only thing that could potentially lift America out of this mess.

Can you imagine if they enacted the FairTax right now? America would become the biggest tax haven on the planet overnight. We could cap the federal budget at $2 trillion a year, and use all the surplus FairTax revenue to start paying down the national debt. You would have to hide under your bed to avoid getting a job. Only legal households would qualify for the prebate, so illegal aliens would be taxed double what US citizens are.

Conservatives in this country need to stop pushing for "lower taxes" and start pushing for the FairTax yesterday.

marv
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
It's not really about what kind of tax, "fair", "flat", "income", or even "VAT", it's about how the tax is administered, and who/how the actual tax rate is set.

.........and how the revenues are spent!

Articulate_Ape
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I think the question is not just how much, but to whom we are obligated to pay taxes to. In my mind, I think taxes paid to the federal government should be quite low (cover the military and a few other things). The majority of taxes should go to local and state government where there is a better opportunity to hold people accountable. The Constitution intended the states to be the primary governing bodies, and with them the people. The federal government's role was to be an arbitrator between the states, not a master. It was supposed to defend and promote the general welfare (i.e. look out for the best interests of the Union in dealing with foreign powers).

We've come a long way, baby.

Sonnabend
04-17-2010, 09:04 PM
. The Constitution intended the states to be the primary governing bodies, and with them the people. The federal government's role was to be an arbitrator between the states, not a master. It was supposed to defend and promote the general welfare (i.e. look out for the best interests of the Union in dealing with foreign powers).

Paging CITM...THIS is what you don't understand,

Taxes? I'd be satisfied with 10%..I am sick and tired of paying over 30% to the damned government. That's MY money I worked for.

Kay
04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't mind paying my share, because after all I have great roads to drive on, safe
drinking water, police and fireman that are just a phone call away, etc. We all have to
chip in for those services. I'm with Marv on this - it's not so much what we are paying
as how they are using the funds with reckless abandond.

I would be for doing away with the current tax system all together and going to a flat
consumption tax. That seems to me to be the fairest way to do it. You pay according
to what you buy and use.

patriot45
04-17-2010, 11:50 PM

I agree with the Poli! I'll go so far as 23% as a fairtax but you got to repeal the 16Th! Otherwise all bets are off!

Rockntractor
04-17-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree with the Poli! I'll go so far as 23% as a fairtax but you got to repeal the 16Th! Otherwise all bets are off!
You guys are crazy! Until we get numb nuts out of office you can only plan on more taxes. We must flush dems and rino's out of Washington!:mad:

patriot45
04-17-2010, 11:56 PM
You guys are crazy! Until we get numb nuts out of office you can only plan on more taxes. We must flush dems and rino's out of Washington!:mad:

Duh!

Articulate_Ape
04-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Isn't that like telling a contractor that you have no problem paying $X.XX even before the quote has been offered? I say that we decide what we want from government and, upon determining that, pay the bill accordingly. Call me old-fashioned.

patriot45
04-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Isn't that like telling a contractor that you have no problem paying $X.XX even before the quote has been offered? I say that we decide what we want from government and, upon determining that, pay the bill accordingly. Call me old-fashioned.

No! We tell the feds that this is what you get! There is no more!

Articulate_Ape
04-18-2010, 12:13 AM
No! We tell the feds that this is what you get! There is no more!

You don't negotiate much, do you? If you do, you are doing it wrong.

patriot45
04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
You don't negotiate much, do you? If you do, you are doing it wrong.

Well, that is how the Fairtax would work! This is what you take in. And we are watching that you can't get no more!

See, If they get x amount from the fair tax and there ain't no extra besides what they need to run the government, we would see it quicker and..... oh who am I fooling, it won't happen in our lifetimes.:mad:

NJCardFan
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
The bitch of it is that a national sales tax is coming. Unfortunately it's going to be in addition to the bullshit we're paying already. Obama's policies are going to have those who actually carry the tax burden paying in the 70 percentile. That's fucking madness.

And speaking of wasted tax money, I want to know exactly how much the government paid for this idiotic Census ad campaign.

marv
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, that is how the Fairtax would work! This is what you take in. And we are watching that you can't get no more!

See, If they get x amount from the fair tax and there ain't no extra besides what they need to run the government, we would see it quicker and..... oh who am I fooling, it won't happen in our lifetimes.:mad:
There's a problem though. Cities, counties and states put sales (consumption) tax increases on the ballot. Congress won't! They'll still raise the rate whenever they want, and for whatever reason they want.

Also, the VAT consumption tax was promised to replace the income taxes in European countries. But it didn't. It was simply added on - like it would be here.

fettpett
04-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Fair Tax.

No more that 20% in that form

0% income tax at both state and Federal level

PoliCon
04-18-2010, 09:44 AM

NO SHIT CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/Funny_Pictures_General_Captain_Obvious.jpg

Bubba Dawg
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
NO SHIT CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/Funny_Pictures_General_Captain_Obvious.jpg

Hey, isn't that the same rock you gave Rock last time? :cool::D

Re-Gifter. :p

Rockntractor
04-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Hey, isn't that the same rock you gave Rock last time? D

Re-Gifter. :p