PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Military

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm going next week to talk to the United States Air Force recruiter. I'm positive about signing the dotted line. I've already taken the ASVAB and scored an 81 in the percentile range which from what I've gathered makes me eligble for every job offered to women in the AF. Any other AF folks here? Can you tell me about your experience serving in the AF? Any advice?

Lager
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm coming up on my 24th year in the USAF. Half of that active duty, and half as a reservist. It's been great for me and I still love serving. If you do make the move, I wish you the best.

Speedy
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Way to go! If I may ask, how old are you?

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Way to go! If I may ask, how old are you?

18 yrs young.

The only problem I may have is the weight minimum. Winter I spend jogging and am down to 120 lbs. I'm trying to at least make it up to 130 before shipping off to basic so I can hack it, although basic looks like a load of fun for me. I dig a challenge.

Speedy
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
18 yrs young.

The only problem I may have is the weight minimum. Winter I spend jogging and am down to 120 lbs. I'm trying to at least make it up to 130 before shipping off to basic so I can hack it, although basic looks like a load of fun for me. I dig a challenge.

Since your ASVAB Scores are way up there and you are quite physically fit maybe you should get into their sniper program. I thing the Air Force is the only service arm that trains women in this field. I remember reading about one young woman putting a round up a Taliban's ass when he had his face on the ground and butt in the air in prayer.

Kay
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
18 yrs young.

I'm surprised to read that you are only 18. I thought you were older than that from the
maturity in your posts. Best of luck to you, and I hope you will enjoy every minute of it.

fettpett
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I thought so too, good luck and have a fun ride, a buddy of mine was in the Air Force for a while, he was a firefighter and was stationed in Bahraine when we went into Iraq. he still didn't do shit while he was in though. (lifting weights and drinking beer)

M21
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Good for you. I wasn't Air Force (I've always been straight :p) but Army for 22 years. Great experience for a young person. Hold out for the job you really want. You can't beat Air Force medicine if you have an interest in that field.

Good luck.

BSR
04-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm going next week to talk to the United States Air Force recruiter. I'm positive about signing the dotted line. I've already taken the ASVAB and scored an 81 in the percentile range which from what I've gathered makes me eligble for every job offered to women in the AF. Any other AF folks here? Can you tell me about your experience serving in the AF? Any advice?

I thought you wanted to join the military? The Air Farce is a 9-5 desk job.

Booyah !!! Let the military branch wars begin !!! :cool:

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Since your ASVAB Scores are way up there and you are quite physically fit maybe you should get into their sniper program. I thing the Air Force is the only service arm that trains women in this field. I remember reading about one young woman putting a round up a Taliban's ass when he had his face on the ground and butt in the air in prayer.

That's a kind of myth. Women can't be in combat MOSes. I've got no problem with it either. I know they're recommending some women and even accepting them into the sniper academy but one can't "apply" for it if female. They have to show superior marksmanship, which would be easy for me, but you also have to have the full recommendations of your commanding officer(s).

I'm looking into ballistics, playing with bombs, and the SERE program (amazingly not closed to women).
Thank you all for well wishes. The recruiter on the phone said it'd be 6-9 months before deployment to basic.

Speedy
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
That's a kind of myth. Women can't be in combat MOSes. I've got no problem with it either. I know they're recommending some women and even accepting them into the sniper academy but one can't "apply" for it if female. They have to show superior marksmanship, which would be easy for me, but you also have to have the full recommendations of your commanding officer(s).

I'm looking into ballistics, playing with bombs, and the SERE program (amazingly not closed to women).
Thank you all for well wishes. The recruiter on the phone said it'd be 6-9 months before deployment to basic.

The girl I am talking about was deployed as a sniper. She was awarded a medla and the news articles were even posted here.

BadCat
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Think about Intel, hon...it's a blast.

Speedy
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Think about Intel, hon...it's a blast.

If you do go into intel, you would be in San Angelo, Texas for AIT. Great place San Angelo.

Rockntractor
04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
With our current commander and chief and the rules of engagement he has in place, I could not in good conscious suggest to anyone to go into the military for any reason.

Articulate_Ape
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised to read that you are only 18. I thought you were older than that from the
maturity in your posts. Best of luck to you, and I hope you will enjoy every minute of it.

What she said.

Lager
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Actually, the woman in question was in Air Force Security Forces, which is open to women. Security Forces have a sniper force, culled from their ranks. She was deployed to the FOB where I spent last summer, in Kirkuk. Her exploits were well known out there. I believe she went on to be chosen as one of the 12 outstanding airmen of the year. From her pictures, she looks like a petite young gal, but I heard from other SF, that she was a badass.

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Actually, the woman in question was in Air Force Security Forces, which is open to women. Security Forces have a sniper force, culled from their ranks. She was deployed to the FOB where I spent last summer, in Kirkuk. Her exploits were well known out there. I believe she went on to be chosen as one of the 12 outstanding airmen of the year. From her pictures, she looks like a petite young gal, but I heard from other SF, that she was a badass.

Well that puts what I knew to kaput! But that's awesome and something I'm definitely going to go for. :p

Speedy
04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Well that puts what I knew to kaput! But that's awesome and something I'm definitely going to go for. :p

Looks like you may have found your calling, Sweetheart. My daughter was an Army Medic and served most of a tour in Iraq. She was in an MP unit and though women are not supposed to serve in combat, she was involved several firefights, ambushes, IED attacks and was wounded in a grenade attack.

Lager
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Remember that the recruiters are going to try their best to put you in a field where the Air Force is short. Be firm and hold out for something you're pretty sure you'd be interested in. With your scores, you should qualify for most fields. They will probably try to persuade you that if you go into something they recommend, you can go in quickly. They'll tell you if you hold out for what you want, it could take a long time to get in. I won't say they're lying, but maybe exaggerating. Be firm, and you might find an opening in your choice suddenly come up.

Troll
04-19-2010, 07:30 PM
The Air Force? Don't they get a medal just for finishing boot camp?

Just kidding. If I couldn't have gone Navy, I would have gone Air Force.

Best of luck to you.

djones520
04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
The Air Force? Don't they get a medal just for finishing boot camp?

Just kidding. If I couldn't have gone Navy, I would have gone Air Force.

Best of luck to you.

Nope, just a ribbon. Every branch does get a medal the second they swear in though. National Defense Service Medal.

djones520
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Mega, I've been Active Duty for 8 years now, and the entire 17 years before that I was an AF brat. You can ask me any questions you want, and I'll help you out however I can.

marv
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
USAF and Army, both crypto. But you can wind up in some strange circumstances - like Laos in '59!

Megaguns91
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Mega, I've been Active Duty for 8 years now, and the entire 17 years before that I was an AF brat. You can ask me any questions you want, and I'll help you out however I can.

What's your best recommendation as far as joining the AF? The recruiter said I'd join as an E3 because I have 70 + college credits. What career path is the most rewarding? I plan on using this as a stepping stone for entering law enforcement. Any tips for basic, as well?

Kay
04-19-2010, 09:00 PM
If you do go into intel, you would be in San Angelo, Texas for AIT. Great place San Angelo.

Word. And Speedy and I are both close enough
that we could drive over and visit you. :)

Troll
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Nope, just a ribbon. Every branch does get a medal the second they swear in though. National Defense Service Medal.

When did they start that? I never got that ribbon. :confused:

I got a NMCAM, Good Conduct Award and Pistol Marksman. I joined in 1997 - was that too early?

djones520
04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
When did they start that? I never got that ribbon. :confused:

I got a NMCAM, Good Conduct Award and Pistol Marksman. I joined in 1997 - was that too early?

September 11th.

djones520
04-19-2010, 10:02 PM
What's your best recommendation as far as joining the AF? The recruiter said I'd join as an E3 because I have 70 + college credits. What career path is the most rewarding? I plan on using this as a stepping stone for entering law enforcement. Any tips for basic, as well?

Well, there are hundreds of "career paths". It all depends on what you want. Have you thought about what you would like to do in the civilian world? Your ASVAB scores will give you the pick of the litter, so I would suggest thinking about what you'd like to do on the outside, and find the job that is closest to that. It's possible to cross train to a differant career field, but your not eligible to do that until the last year of your initial enlistment, so pick wisely, cause you don't want to spend years doing a job you'll hate.

The more technical jobs award more college credits as well. I'm a weather forecaster. In all my training I've earned roughly 100 college credits from the Community College of the Air Force. And I was paid to do all that. Something like Security Forces though, they don't get even half as much, but finding jobs on the outside might be a bit easier for them.

As for basic training, couldn't really begin to tell you much about that. It's changed so much since I went through. General info, keep your head low, never argue with a TI, and try not to volunteer for anything. All your doing is painting a big bullseye on your chest for attention.

If you got anymore questions, shoot me a PM.