PDA

View Full Version : When Honor Becomes More Important Than A Championship

NJCardFan
04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm not much of a golfer and I rarely watch golf on TV but what I saw yesterday at the Verizon Heritage Classic should be what everyone should strive to be. They say that golf is a gentleman's game. But sometimes golfers tend to look like pompous asses but yesterday we were shown what it really means to be honorable. On the first playoff hole, Brian Davis' approach shot skipped off the green, off the rocks, and into the reeds. According to the rules, unlike a ball that lands on the green or in the fairway, or even the rough, you are not allowed to move any impediment. So Davis had to hit it where it sat. He took his sand wedge and hacked away, landing on the green, giving himself a considerable shot for par. Almost as far as Furyk's birdie putt. But before Furyk could make his putt, Davis called over an official to tell him of his error. On his backswing, he had struck a reed. A violation. The official kept on trying to give him an out but he wouldn't have it. He admitted his mistake and even suggested they look at the replay. It was an inauspicious tap that he happened to see out of the corner of his eye but he did the honorable thing, which is a part of golf etiquette. Even though it was unlikely he would have made that long putt, admitting his error and taking a 2 stroke penalty meant certain defeat. Davis was going for his first ever Tour win. And he chose to be honest. If only all athletes were this honorable. http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-hiltonhead

ralph wiggum
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm not stalking your posts, NJCardFan, I swear! :D

I was going to post about this today. I watched the end of the tournament, and was perplexed as to what happened. Lacarnut can also chime in at some point I hope. The announcers didn't do a very good job explaining what was going on.

If you are in a hazard, you cannot come into contact with a loose impediment in your backswing. I was under the impression that what Brian Davis hit was a growing reed in his backswing. Apparently it was just one lying around on the sand. And that's one thing you can't check when you are in a hazard. If you take your backswing and hit a something growing (there's a more specific term, not looking it up at this hour), there is no penalty.

I completely applaud him for being honorable. He probably wouldn't have won anyway had he not called the penalty on himself, but that took balls. I'm not really sure the PGA Tour referee (Slugger White) knew for sure which reed Davis hit or whether it was loose or not.

NJCardFan
04-20-2010, 12:21 AM
As I said, White tried to give him an out. But you're right, he wasn't making that putt for par. Of course the naysayers are probably going to say that if he had chipped closer to the hole or even holed it in he wouldn't have said shit. I don't believe that for a minute only because someone would have seen it and ratted him out. But he should be applauded for being honest. There isn't enough honesty anywhere these days.

lacarnut
04-20-2010, 03:02 AM
I did not watch the tournament but I commend Davis for calling a penalty on himself. Grounding or hitting a loose impediment on your backswing while your ball is in a sand trap or hazard is a penalty. He is a credit to the game of golf. Other athletes should take notice.

Speedy
04-20-2010, 03:16 AM
That reminds me of this truly great moment of sportsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlKtI7yd_s

lacarnut
04-20-2010, 04:29 AM
In the 50's and 60's, I had the pleasure of watching great golfers like Palmer, Sneed, Demerat, etc. These guys played for peanuts back then. Total prize money at the Baton Rouge Open was $25,000 in its first year.

I was impressed with the pros helping eachother. If a player hit a putt that was hanging on the edge of the cup, he could not do anything to make it fall in. However, his opponet could cast a shadow over the ball or walk aggresively toward the hole and make it fall in. I saw Mike Soushak do that. I think the PGA frowns on that today.

NJCardFan
04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
That reminds me of this truly great moment of sportsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlKtI7yd_s

I love it. Nothing in the rule book says the opponents couldn't help her. I've played and watched sports my entire life and have been privy to some pretty schysty stuff but it's good to see this kind of behavior. Yes winning is the ultimate goal but winning with honor should be the #1 goal.