PDA

View Full Version : Job seekers too picky?

Gingersnap
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Job seekers too picky?

Last Update: 4/20 6:26 pm

Unemployment benefits

WEST PALM BEACH, FL-- Administrative assistant Vicky Fonseca says she wants to work but she doesn't want to work just anywhere.

"I want good benefits," Fonseca said. "I wouldn't want to work somewhere where I didn't feel comfortable."

Some would say beggars shouldn't be choosers. But when Uncle Sam is paying you $300 a week with virtually no strings attached, job seekers can afford to turn offers down.

And Fonseca has. "I had an offer but it was in Broward County," Fonseca said. "It is too far for me and the pay rate is not going to be enough."

Career counselor Sue Romanos works her tail off to find the unemployed like Fonseca jobs.

"It is shocking," Romanos said. "I would never have believed it a year ago if you would have told me that people would be turning down jobs."

Romanos has been the CEO of Career Xchange, an award winning career placement agency that serves Broward and Dade Counties, for 21 years.

She says she's never seen unemployment benefits "drag on" as they are now. She says the benefits are crippling many of her candidates.

"The candidates have varying reasons for not wanting the job offered," Romanos said. "It's not the right job or the salary. To tell you the truth I think they are very happy collecting and not wanting to work."

And they are certainly collecting. President Obama signed an $18 billion jobless benefits bill last week. It extends unemployment an additional 99 weeks, averaging $335 a check.

"In the long run staying home so long is going to affect people," Romanos said. "Employers will look at them and see this as a sign of their behavior. Plus they will lose some skills."

Fonsaca, who has been out of work three months, swears that won't be her as long as the job is a right fit. "I wouldn't want to take something just to take it," Fonsaca said.

I have taken some pretty awful jobs when I needed a job. How about you?

WPTV (http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/story/Unemployment-benefits-adding-to-job-seekers-lazine/Pvn0KrC7JUSFL0OVSGdO6A.cspx)

lacarnut
04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
It has been 30 plus years ago since I collected unemployment. I was under the impression that if you refuse a job, your benefits get cut off. Under most conditions that's the way it should be.

Same here with the awful jobs.

BSR
04-21-2010, 11:31 AM
When the tech bubble burst and I was out of a job for 1 1/2 years, I had to take a job as a valet/limo company manager for a buddy who owned it.I was lucky and gracious for that job.

I would have worked 2 jobs at fast food resturants if I had to. My family wasnt going to go hungry.

Gingersnap
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I was just reading an article about the failure of conditional cash transfers (CCTs) in NYC. In third world situations, governments give poor families cash in exchange for the families enrolling their kids in school and taking advantage of medical, food, and dental programs. It works really well in the third world because the parents actually want their kids to go to school and thrive but there are barriers - such as the economic necessity of putting school children to work.

These programs failed in NYC because there is no psychological incentive for the parents to become involved in their children's schooling, nutrition, or medical issues. The money is nice but the reality is that the schools are free, the medical care is free, and the children's access to food is generous. The money simply isn't worth the effort to these parents. Poverty is a very relative thing and these families are not impoverished enough to strive for a level of success that would take them off the government tit.

For too many people, unemployment benefits are functioning in the same way. The benefits are good enough to make the prospect of taking a McJob pretty distasteful. If the woman in the article was in danger of being evicted from her apartment because she was late with the rent, I bet that job she turned down would start to look pretty good.

Megaguns91
04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
My first job was a housekeeper for a scummy cockroach motel at the tender age of 15. I hated that job with every fiber of being in me. But it also gave me a new appreciation for how my mother kept house. It made me develope a sort of OCD for how to clean things. I also worked as a dishwasher for a cheeseball restraunt, where the cooks hit on me all day and smoked cigarettes over the food they were preparing. I think I only did that job a week or two. I had the ominous feeling that if I stayed longer the chef's advances towards me were going to get to an even uglier point.

When I was younger my pops payed me to help him dig holes in his yard. I got my first blisters then :) That job is still something I'm proud of.

ralph wiggum
04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
For too many people, unemployment benefits are functioning in the same way. The benefits are good enough to make the prospect of taking a McJob pretty distasteful.

You're absolutely correct. When I was laid off for a few months, I filed for unemployment. I was offered a few week-long temp positions, but they didn't pay more than the unemployment benefits did, so why bother? There was no incentive unless I found a full-time position, which I obviously did.

Speedy
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I have sheared sheep when I was hard up for money. Hard, back breaking, dirty, nasty word it is.

Big Guy
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I have never collected Un-Employment. I have had some pretty bad jobs, Dish Washer in a restaurant, Farm labor, cut fire wood, tore down old buildings. The worst Job I ever had was cutting and hanging tobacco in the barn for $10.00 an hour.

Wei Wu Wei
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
The economic trend has been a growth of jobs mainly at the higher end of the pay scale and the lower end of the pay scale. Middle-paying jobs are dissapearing fast, and while many of us are willing to take up a job at a resturant to pay the bills, many people with top notch educations or experience are simply expecting to get one of the higher-end jobs, and would, as one woman who I saw on the news said "rather keep my resume 'clean' "

Articulate_Ape
04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
The economic trend has been a growth of jobs mainly at the higher end of the pay scale and the lower end of the pay scale. Middle-paying jobs are dissapearing fast, and while many of us are willing to take up a job at a resturant to pay the bills, many people with top notch educations or experience are simply expecting to get one of the higher-end jobs, and would, as one woman who I saw on the news said "rather keep my resume 'clean' "

So, did you work the drive-up window again today or were you making the fries?

Big Guy
04-21-2010, 04:01 PM

I thought you said you didn't work for money, you did Charity work. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
So, did you work the drive-up window again today or were you making the fries?

Today? Well I am able to pay for my needs at the moment so I did not do this nor accept government checks today. However I have worked at fast food chains, several of them, I've delivered pizza, I've waited tables, I've shuffled paperwork from place to place, I've worked on a manufacturing assembly line. The good jobs were not always available to me, especially prior to my graduating college (and even a few times after) but when I had to pay the bills I had to pay the bills.

I thought you said you didn't work for money, you did Charity work. :rolleyes:

Currently, that's correct.

Nubs
04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Current UI states that you need not accept a job that pays less than 80% of your last salary. So those laid off from high paying jobs are not obligated to take "any" job.